Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,972 times

Advertisements

The most populated cities in North Carolina all have one thing in common, they all lack rivers. To me this affects the quality of life. Furthermore, most medium and large size U.S. cities have a least one river. Has anyone else notice this among the Piedmont cities (Charlotte, Raliegh, Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem). Do you feel that the lack of rivers affect the quality of life or cause the cities to be less unique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 07:23 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
I don't think the large cities of NC are capable of sustaining themselves. I'd give it another 20 years.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I don't think the large cities of NC are capable of sustaining themselves. I'd give it another 20 years.

Asheville and Wilmingon will probably be the larger cities in the future due to their rivers.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:19 AM

82 posts, read 394,386 times
Default french broad in asheville

I was surprised at how undeveloped and uncared for the river frontage is in Asheville. It's still all industrial; some still in operation though some has been abandoned; most of it strewn with litter and boarded up buildings...I suppose it's just a matter of time before this area is transformed.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:20 AM

94 posts, read 345,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
The most populated cities in North Carolina all have one thing in common, they all lack rivers. To me this affects the quality of life. Furthermore, most medium and large size U.S. cities have a least one river. Has anyone else notice this among the Piedmont cities (Charlotte, Raliegh, Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem). Do you feel that the lack of rivers affect the quality of life or cause the cities to be less unique?
I never even thought about it. How would that affect our quality of life though? I can't imagine what a river could offer that a lake couldn't as far as recreation goes - and as far as the transportation value that isn't even an issue today.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,712 times
Default I have

I love seeing developed riverfronts in cities, and downtowns that are historical in nature.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
I love seeing developed riverfronts in cities, and downtowns that are historical in nature.
I agree. This is why I love cities like Wilmington, Pittsburgh, and Richmond.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post
I never even thought about it. How would that affect our quality of life though? I can't imagine what a river could offer that a lake couldn't as far as recreation goes - and as far as the transportation value that isn't even an issue today.

Lakes are usually on the outskirts of a city, while many rivers go through the heart of them. Plus, rivers usually bring the community together in many ways.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
Yes, I love seeing river fronts in some of the major cities in America. But to say that that alone lowers the quality of life is a bit of a streatch for me. To each his own, I guess. The Charlotte are has Lake Norman and Lake Wylie, and the Raleigh area has Falls Lake and Lake Jordan. These lakes are very beautiful and offers much more water recreation than a river alone. These lakes are accessable to all residents of those metro areas to enjoy.

The Asheville and Wilmington the biggest cities in the future? This is not the 1700's and our economies aren't based in such a way. Charlotte (650,000) and Raleigh (320,000) are much larger than Wilmington (100,000) and Asheville (74,000) and have much higher growth rates.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:31 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Yes, I love seeing river fronts in some of the major cities in America. But to say that that alone lowers the quality of life is a bit of a streatch for me. To each his own, I guess. The Charlotte are has Lake Norman and Lake Wylie, and the Raleigh area has Falls Lake and Lake Jordan. These lakes are very beautiful and offers much more water recreation than a river alone. These lakes are accessable to all residents of those metro areas to enjoy.

The Asheville and Wilmington the biggest cities in the future? This is not the 1700's and our economies aren't based in such a way. Charlotte (650,000) and Raleigh (320,000) are much larger than Wilmington (100,000) and Asheville (74,000) and have much higher growth rates.
Yeah, I agree. River, no river. Makes no difference to me. I like rivers. They're pretty to look at. But that's about it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina