Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times

Advertisements

RJR is pretty high profile. There's a big airline manufacturing thing up there too. Lots of better jobs than in Fayetteville. Gotta run, really.

I think the key is to take a page from the most successful US military towns, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 03:34 PM

Best military towns: https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-united-states

Worst military towns (both Fayetteville and Jacksonville on this list): https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...oned-in-ranked

The best towns all have something else going for them and lots of them also have beautiful scenery, but really the main thing is there's more to the best towns than just the military town identity.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:24 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,453 times
Fayetteville needs to revitalize its downtown, the good thing is this might just happened since they are trying to bring a ball park downtown. In conjunction with revitalizing downtown, Fayetteville State and Methodist need to increase and better their Stem offerings. Have some type of start up incubator. Be choicer with developments. As a kid I could never understand why they needed another gas station across the street, when on the other side of the street is 2 gas stations within walking distance from each other. All cities go about ended crime the wrong way. When crime has a uptick, people usually call for more law enforcement. The next year crime still rises. Fayetteville has to lower the unemployment rate, in particular with people between the ages of 16-29. to be continued I have uncle duties.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:33 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
yeah but there is no high profile high octane employers in Greensboro or Winston Salem besides the unis i guess

I mean I do agree UNCG is important to greensboro's success but because of a cultural center and not that it's placing graduates with good careers in the community
Well, I guess it depends on the definition of "high profile, high octane", but I'd say Reynolds American, BB&T, Lincoln Financial, Honda Jets, HAECO, VF, Hanesbrands, Caterpillar, Deere-Hitachi, Herbalife, Krispy Kreme, Lowe's Foods, United Guaranty, RF Micro, Proctor and Gamble, Volvo Trucks, etc. is impressive enough.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,183 times
I like Fayetteville, I visit it often and have no problems with it at all...

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 PM

74 posts, read 151,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Well, I guess it depends on the definition of "high profile, high octane", but I'd say Reynolds American, BB&T, Lincoln Financial, Honda Jets, HAECO, VF, Hanesbrands, Caterpillar, Deere-Hitachi, Herbalife, Krispy Kreme, Lowe's Foods, United Guaranty, RF Micro, Proctor and Gamble, Volvo Trucks, etc. is impressive enough.
Don't forget Wake Forest Baptist Hospital, WF medical school, and WF innovation quarter. Not necessarily businesses but definitely game changers in the economy of the city.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,008 times
I do hear a lot of negative talk... some pros are that they are re-doing and renovating roads like Ramsey, Skibo, and Hay. Also, the Cross Creek mall, Swamp Dogs/ Fireantz, and a nice downtown area. Some cons are a lot of the streets are rundown ( e.g. Murchison, Bragg Boulevard ), and higher crime rates than other NC cities. However, i've lived here 9 years and have had no issues with crime whatsoever. Some things they could do to make Fayetteville better are clean up some shady areas and become more strict on law enforcement. Other than that, Fayetteville is a great place to live.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:55 AM

678 posts, read 737,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Fayetteville needs to revitalize its downtown, the good thing is this might just happened since they are trying to bring a ball park downtown. In conjunction with revitalizing downtown, Fayetteville State and Methodist need to increase and better their Stem offerings. Have some type of start up incubator. Be choicer with developments. As a kid I could never understand why they needed another gas station across the street, when on the other side of the street is 2 gas stations within walking distance from each other. All cities go about ended crime the wrong way. When crime has a uptick, people usually call for more law enforcement. The next year crime still rises. Fayetteville has to lower the unemployment rate, in particular with people between the ages of 16-29. to be continued I have uncle duties.

Fayetteville's downtown has actually improved a lot over the years, when the Airborne museum was built that really helped kick things off for revitalizing downtown. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it is much better than 20 years ago.

Fayetteville has the same problem that other "company towns" have had, combined with problems unique to military towns.

Fayetteville does have one big thing going for it that has been very underutilized, The Cape Fear River.

Columbia SC's riverfront park is a good example of what Fayetteville should try to build

Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Be choicer with developments. As a kid I could never understand why they needed another gas station across the street, when on the other side of the street is 2 gas stations within walking distance from each other.
I think you hit on something drrck. Development is not managed well in Fayetteville. I am all for more development in Fayetteville, but it needs to be more attractive. Look at all the shops out by the mall. It's just strip mall after strip mall after strip mall and that's one of the nicer parts of town. I know there's only so much you can do to make a Lowe's, Staples and Toys R Us attractive, but it's all glommed up together there.

If you look at the Streets at Southpoint Mall in Durham or North Hills in Raleigh those are more attractive regional malls with nice satellite shopping and working areas. Maybe Fayetteville could develop some more office space out by Cross Creek mall with some really nice landscaping or something, or a satellite of the botanical garden — a nice park. So much asphalt out there now.

If someone could do something like Durham's American Tobacco Campus in Fayetteville I think it would be really popular.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 PM

32,918 posts, read 36,310,068 times
If you want people in their late twenties and thirties to move there and stay, there will be things for the kids to do. When I lived there, there were no public playgrounds--that I could find--, no city or county pools, no park or picnic areas near my house. We managed, but I've lived in areas which had those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina