Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,028 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have never lived outside of California and are looking for a change. After alot of research I am really leaning toward New Bern, NC. We have been married for 5 years and have 3 small children. I have a few questions though!

My husband has a very stable and steady city job here. He has excellent benefits and is definitely set up for life. So obviously a big move scares us. How is the job market in New Bern and the surrounding areas? He has a class B license with an airbrake endorsment and has been driving a garbage truck for over 5 years. Are there any stable jobs that he might be able to get into with good benefits?

Secondly, our oldest child is 4 and our youngest is 4 months, I am a stay at home mommy right now, but If I ever decided to go back to work, how is the quality of childcare there? maybe some general prices? How about the quality of schools?

Are there any nice, affordable areas of town that are better than others? is there a housing rental company I can contact to possibly set up our long distance move?

Lastly, we do have dogs. Is New Bern a dog friendly town? our dogs are so sweet and love to play. we have many off-leash dog parks here in California.

Any help from locals would be AMAZING! We are really looking forward to finding the perfect place to move our family.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,028 times
Also, how is the thrift store situation out there!?

Old 10-02-2016, 05:49 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassiekassie007 View Post
My husband has a very stable and steady city job here. He has excellent benefits and is definitely set up for life. So obviously a big move scares us. How is the job market in New Bern and the surrounding areas? He has a class B license with an airbrake endorsment and has been driving a garbage truck for over 5 years. Are there any stable jobs that he might be able to get into with good benefits?
Before you go any further with the decision, the husband should check the job market at a source like Indeed.com . Companies like M&W Hauling do the trash pick-up in many towns in coastal NC. North Carolina is a "right-to-work" state and has very few unions, so, I believe his job would be less secure here. Think long and hard about moving.

BTW, why did you pick New Bern, of all places?

Old 10-02-2016, 06:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

My husband and I have never lived outside of California and are looking for a change. After alot of research I am really leaning toward New Bern, NC. We have been married for 5 years and have 3 small children. I have a few questions though!

Secondly, our oldest child is 4 and our youngest is 4 months, I am a stay at home mommy right now, but If I ever decided to go back to work, how is the quality of childcare there? maybe some general prices? How about the quality of schools?

Are there any nice, affordable areas of town that are better than others? is there a housing rental company I can contact to possibly set up our long distance move?

Lastly, we do have dogs. Is New Bern a dog friendly town? our dogs are so sweet and love to play. we have many off-leash dog parks here in California.

Any help from locals would be AMAZING! We are really looking forward to finding the perfect place to move our family.

Thanks in advance!

Why oh why do you want to upset the apple cart, at your age, with 3 small children, and you don't have to work. ?? You are complicating your lives for no reason except "a change". Try to get yourself centered, and realize what you have now, and how it could all go down the drain very quickly, and you would never be able to go back "home".

There is NO perfect place.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 AM

New Bern is a very small job market, as the city has about 28,000 people. I suggest the husband estimate his salary and they develop a budget for housing. The pay will undoubtedly be less than in California.

I am assuming they want to leave California because they could never afford to own a house. However, there are other less drastic alternatives. One of my relatives lived out in the California desert so they could own a home and he commuted 60 miles to his job. He later got a better education and found a better job.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
My husband has a very stable and steady city job here. He has excellent benefits and is definitely set up for life.
A couple more points. 1. I suggest you visit North Carolina in August and see how you tolerate the hot, humid weather. The weather is nothing like California. Learn about the risks of hurricanes and flooding. New Bern has experienced a lot of flooding in recent years.

2. Please understand what the "right-to-work" laws mean. It means the a person can be fired for any reason. Most trash collection is done by commercial companies, and not by the cities. Therefore, the work will be much less secure.

I won't attempt to answer other questions about New Bern until you are sure that it would be a great move for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: