Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 20,986 times

Advertisements

I think if you don't like your job and your not getting enough money to "pay bills and live" Get a new job. Maybe you're not a good waitress and or maybe you are working in a crappy restaurant like Chilli's, Fridays,Applebee's, Bennigans, those type of places. They are the low end of the restaurants. You might need to get a job in an upscale restaurant like Max's Grill or The Melting Pot, if you are not working at one already. If so maybe they are just cheap too! Point is stop complaining and get out if your having a hard time making ends meet there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM

286 posts, read 994,366 times
Gees I can't believe the response the original poster has received. I don't think its horrible to expect to receive a decent tip or to want others to know the situation they are in with hourly wages. Have a little symapthy. If all of our servers "get a new job" how can we go out to eat?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
I just am sick to my stomach to think some people think that restaurant workers wages in NC are acceptable.They are horrible and sickning to say the least. These people work hard and it is so not anyones business to understand why they do it. The owners of these reataurants are laughing all the way to the bank on this one. The law is old and stinks. Come on $2.50 wage is a joke- tip or no tip.The restaurant prices here are no different than many other parts of the states, states that require a minimum wage, not a wage that you made back in the 70's.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
You CAN join a union in NC. However, an employer cannot REQUIRE you to join a union as with some states. My dad is union and works in Charlotte.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 AM

47 posts, read 247,514 times
Giving this post a weekend to acquire replies got some interesting responses. Okay, first of all, I wasn't ranting about my tips or job. Some days, I love my job! I was just pointing out to those who don't know it that we don't make the $5-6/hour that everyone thinks we do, and that even though we're headed into a recession, it isn't the 1930's any more, and tipping 10% (or worse, $1/person... which I've seen on more occasions than I can count), isn't exactly what we jump for joy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Oregon is a Right To Work State too and they do not have a service employees union. Yet, wait staff are paid minimum wage plus tips. Not sure how or why... maybe something to research.
Each state has a different minimum wage. I was told by a server in California that they receive $9/hour plus tips! Even though their cost of living is higher, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Also, while I agree you have no recourse if you choose to strike in protest of wages, if you got all the wait staff on board at a a few restaurants that would make a huge statement... maybe get the attention of local officials... and it would shut down a few restaurants for a bit. It seems that most rests. are always hiring... add a walk out to that and you've got rests. that can't open.
The best day to do it would be Mother's Day, but there's always the few servers who think to themselves, "If everyone else is on strike, then I'll get all the tips!" and come in to work anyway out of greed, ignoring the bigger picture. It would (basically) never in a million years work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Nobody is forcing you to do that job. If you aren't making enough money, then maybe you should look into a different line of work since you obviously aren't good at being part of the wait staff. Everybody as a customer knows the average tip for good service is 15% and extremely exceptional service is 20%.
Everyone as a customer does not know this.
On Saturday, I got a $7 for a $140 tab. The women didn't think I did a bad job - they even invited me to go out for drinks with them when my shift was over, and told me where they were going!! - they just thought it was an acceptable tip. On Sunday, I got $4 on a $100 tab from a table who thanked me so much for making their anniversary memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I slightly disagree with this...
I'd say that the MINIMUM tip for good service is 15% while the average tip is probably somewhere between 18-20%.
See? Someone gets it.

Quote:
I was a server at Red Lobster on Glenwood Ave as a college student in the
80's. It was the most miserable job I have ever had. Clients there were HORRIBLE tippers. Sometimes I had to claim more income (you had to claim a minimum of 8% of sales) than I actually made. So, I ended up paying taxes on money I didn't make.
I feel bad for you. Red Lobster is one of the worst Darden restaurants as far as tips go. Yeah, almost every restaurant makes you tip out and pay taxes based on what the computer system assumes you made, rather than what you actually made. Few people realize this.

Quote:
If you have a bad experience at a restaurant, be careful not to automatically blame the server.
It would be nice if things worked that way, but they don't. Evidently, from what I've seen, people assume that the server is responsible for the wait in the lobby, the way the food is cooked, if an entree arrives late to a table, if the temperature in the restaurant is too hot/cold, if the bartender didn't make the drink strong enough, if the computer system is down, if there's a power outage that knocks out the entire block, if the hostesses didn't have silverware when the table was sat, if the bussers didn't clean underneath the seats, if the tea isn't as sweet as Bojangles, and a host of other problems. Servers are supposed to be superheroes, and be glad for that 5-10% tip. Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive or just breathing View Post
I think if you don't like your job and your not getting enough money to "pay bills and live" Get a new job. Point is stop complaining and get out if your having a hard time making ends meet there!
Thanks for assuming what I was talking about, instead of actually reading it. I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about everyone I've ever known in the service industry. Trust me, it's a common gripe in restaurants that if people knew we didn't make minimum wage and we aren't someone's personal slave, our job would be so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
Gees I can't believe the response the original poster has received. I don't think its horrible to expect to receive a decent tip or to want others to know the situation they are in with hourly wages. Have a little symapthy. If all of our servers "get a new job" how can we go out to eat?
Ha! Beautiful. I couldn't have said it better myself. Feel free to come sit in my section any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I just am sick to my stomach to think some people think that restaurant workers wages in NC are acceptable.They are horrible and sickning to say the least. These people work hard and it is so not anyones business to understand why they do it. The owners of these reataurants are laughing all the way to the bank on this one. The law is old and stinks. Come on $2.50 wage is a joke- tip or no tip.The restaurant prices here are no different than many other parts of the states, states that require a minimum wage, not a wage that you made back in the 70's.
Yep, exactly. North Carolina is just a tad behind the times on this one.

Anyway, just to clarify, I wasn't ranting about my job or money. I was just pointing out that our wages suck, and there's not a lot we can do about it because the restaurant owners pay the big bucks to the lawmakers. The only thing I can do is edjumicate the public about the numbers.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times
Each state has a different minimum wage. I was told by a server in California that they receive $9/hour plus tips! Even though their cost of living is higher, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous.

That is because in the state of Calif. min. wage is min. wage period, does NOT matter what you do. Tips are NOT factored in as part of your pay so there for
plenty of people (i know quite a few) make a decent living at it.
I see no price difference whatsoever except in salads if you can believe it!!
Again i say, the restaurant owners are comming out big time on the wage end of it.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,634 times
I say support the service industry! They work SO hard. I used to waitress and my husband used to bartend. We are very good tippers. Pretty much everyone I know who has been in a job like this will tip good because they have been there in the situation. It's not easy work folks!! A lot of these people are trying to pay for college (as I did). I can't believe some of the ugly posts in response to this thread. I have been at lunch with people before who have admitted they only tipped 10%. They seem to have no idea that these people make $2.13/hour! These people should be embarrassed. If you don't have the money for the tip, do not eat at a restaurant with servers.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster07 View Post
I say support the service industry! They work SO hard. I used to waitress and my husband used to bartend. We are very good tippers. Pretty much everyone I know who has been in a job like this will tip good because they have been there in the situation. It's not easy work folks!! A lot of these people are trying to pay for college (as I did). I can't believe some of the ugly posts in response to this thread. I have been at lunch with people before who have admitted they only tipped 10%. They seem to have no idea that these people make $2.13/hour! These people should be embarrassed. If you don't have the money for the tip, do not eat at a restaurant with servers.

I agree with you..I am not a bad tipper myself. If someone does a great job I will throw in extra more than the "recommended tips"...I know they work very hard my sister in law is a waitress and she kills herself at work but makes more money than me! lol I believe in the job well done..I don't care about the 15% you "should" give a waiter...If they suck they will get a sucky tip.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM

47 posts, read 247,514 times
If your server is bad, no, don't give them a good tip. (But also keep in mind the things a server has control over, and the things they don't. If they don't give you something for free, if the kitchen messed something up, if the host staff was idiotic, if the bartender didn't "hook you up"... none of these things have anything to do with the server.)

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxtayce View Post
If your server is bad, no, don't give them a good tip. (But also keep in mind the things a server has control over, and the things they don't. If they don't give you something for free, if the kitchen messed something up, if the host staff was idiotic, if the bartender didn't "hook you up"... none of these things have anything to do with the server.)
Very true, but that is not what I said. I don't expect anything for "Free, or being hooked up" I don't want anything from anyone. Just good service by all staff. This is usually not the case. I know the difference from a good server and just plan bad staff. I don't take it out on other for someone else mistake.
A make or break you tip for me is the attitude. I don't get that "Can I help you, with this ****ty face and I don't care about being here on my job." You can get my order right and fill my drink up everytime, but when you have a ****ty attitude, that alone, you will get a bad tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina