Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times

Advertisements

"Seventeen North Carolina counties reduced the number of early voting locations from 2012. Of those, fifteen saw lower in-person turnout in the first two days of early voting in the state, Thursday and Friday, according to an analysis by Michael McDonald, a University of Florida political science professor and a leading authority on voting rates.

Several of those counties, including Mecklenburg County, the state's largest, saw only modest drop-offs. But in at least six, the in-person voting rate declined by around 50 percent, McDonald found. And Guilford County, home to the predominantly African-American city of Greensboro, cut early voting locations from 16 to just one. It saw in-person voting decline from 21,560 votes in the first two days of the 2012 voting period."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 04:47 AM

299 posts, read 249,396 times
Nope, but the video released yesterday Project Veritias ,Creamer and the other crooks is admitted in the video a violation of federal election laws.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM

88 posts, read 55,871 times
I've seen at least 3 sources that state Greensboro and Guilford are predominantly white. I wonder why they think it is predominantly black? Are they trying to say the State is trying to silence minorities?

Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Nope, but the video released yesterday Project Veritias ,Creamer and the other crooks is admitted in the video a violation of federal election laws.
Except those were shown to be fake, you know by real journalists. Good try though.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:19 AM

88 posts, read 55,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Except those were shown to be fake, you know by real journalists. Good try though.
Why did he quit the DNC over a fake video? Also, which journalists claim it is fake? I'd like to know the truth about these videos. One side says they are fake and O'Keefe is not a real journalist, the other says its real. What ever the truth may be, it is strange that people are fired and are resigning over these videos.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizenClinton View Post
Why did he quit the DNC over a fake video? Also, which journalists claim it is fake? I'd like to know the truth about these videos. One side says they are fake and O'Keefe is not a real journalist, the other says its real. What ever the truth may be, it is strange that people are fired and are resigning over these videos.
He wasn't part of the DNC. He worked with Breitbart and O'Keefe, it is the same guy that wore the robot suit to a debate Rubio was in.

Breitbart coordinated with liberal activist and organizer who disrupted GOP primary campaign events - POLITICO

Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 AM

299 posts, read 249,396 times
Anyone that wants to make up their own mind read this.

"Don

Old 10-26-2016, 11:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizenClinton View Post
I've seen at least 3 sources that state Greensboro and Guilford are predominantly white. I wonder why they think it is predominantly black? Are they trying to say the State is trying to silence minorities?
City-Data can provide these stats:

Guilford County. Slightly more than 50% White.

Greensboro also slightly more White than non-white.

And while I do think there was definitely deliberate suppression by cutting to one site for the first week, starting tomorrow, 24 more sites open up in Guilford. I do expect Guilford to catch up to the rate of other counties once this happens.

This still doesn't mean that the sites chosen can't be favoring one race or another, if let's say 20 out of 25 of them were all in "White" areas (I am not saying they are, just that a raw number won't tell you whether suppression is taking place). They also could achieve it by having more actual voting machines in certain sites and maybe only 1 or 2 in others. This country has a lonnnnnnng history of voter suppression of the "wrong" people (I still remember 1990, when Jesse Helms was running and made the famous "white hands" ad [look itup]--this was when we still used the old fashioned leveled voting machines, and gosh, "mysteriously", many of the ones in Durham county ("coincidentally" the #1 most Democratic-voting county in the state) broke down, and people were standing in line until after 11 PM.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:59 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
I remember the white hands ad as well. Absolutely disgusted by this state when he got reelected after that.

Guilford county also has a large college-educated white population. It's the 3rd largest county in the state, and a major democratic stronghold. It's obvious what the motivations are for having only one early voting center there. It probably won't affect the governor's race or presidential race... those look like they might be a done deal. They're just trying to hang on to Burr and Edmunds, and it may work.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Thankfully the rest of the sites in Guilford opened Thursday. I hope to see huge numbers in them. But there are still lots of less reported counties that have strategically limited early voting to a small number of sites and/or not on weekends. Our housekeeper lives in Granville county and said they aren't having any early voting on weekends at all and was worried about when she would be able to vote, so we helped her print an absentee ballot application right then and there and send it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina