Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
So are you saying that YOU wouldn't shop around for the best price/coverage if given an opportunity? If so, that goes against human nature! Of course when someone has an emergency they want the best and they want it now. I have seen nothing to make me believe that would be the case under the current system, or single payer for that matter. I was perfectly happy prior to the ACA.
NC health insurance prices are based on NC doctor & hospital prices. Just to be plain & clear about this, you'll be thrilled & delighted to have insurance opened up nationwide to have the NC insurance policies being bought by millions of residents of NYC & Chicago, where costs are much higher, to drive up the cost of NC policies. Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 03:16 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
NC health insurance prices are based on NC doctor & hospital prices. Just to be plain & clear about this, you'll be thrilled & delighted to have insurance opened up nationwide to have the NC insurance policies being bought by millions of residents of NYC & Chicago, where costs are much higher, to drive up the cost of NC policies. Good for you.
Yet competition, time and again, proves the opposite. Government mandates and price-fixing is always unsustainable

Increasing competition and pricing transparency will drive down costs. Going to the doctor should be like going to the mechanic. You should be able to choose from a myriad of insurers and the pricing should be clear and negotiated up front

Last edited by vulfpeck; 11-03-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 03:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Yet competition, time and again, proves the opposite. Government mandates and price-fixing is always unsustainable

Increasing competition and pricing transparency will drive down costs. Going to the doctor should be like going to the mechanic. You should be able to choose from a myriad of choices and the pricing should be clear and negotiated up front
Just like a mechanic? Call me George Foreman ..."I'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler"! Or this ol' lady!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0ASeOVByQ

I'm not going to pay alot for the appendectomy either!

Let me know when you doctor posts his prices online!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Let me know when you doctor posts his prices online!
Bad law got into this mess. Perhaps a law requiring just that could get us out.

Not everyone needs or wants a Ferrari insurance plan. They shouldn't have to pay for one. And even those that do would consume less resources and care if they were aware of actual costs up front

The lack of pricing transparency has created a system in which everyone needs insurance. If we had true competition and more options, the costs of procedures would go down and only protection against catastrophic events would require insurance

Old 11-03-2016, 04:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Bad law got into this mess. Perhaps a law requiring just that could get us out.

Not everyone needs or wants a Ferrari insurance plan. They shouldn't have to pay for one. And even those that do would consume less resources and care if they were aware of actual costs up front

The lack of pricing transparency has created a system in which everyone needs insurance. If we had true competition and more options, the costs of procedures would go down and only protection against catastrophic events would require insurance
You don't understand the basics. The new, modern equipment drives up costs. Medicine is light years different from the 50s & 60s. Heck, back in the 50s doctors were still making house calls.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You don't understand the basics. The new, modern equipment drives up costs. Medicine is light years different from the 50s & 60s. Heck, back in the 50s doctors were still making house calls.
That's one cost factor, but the lack of competition is what keeps costs high. Imagine how much our computers and devices would still cost without market forces

Old 11-04-2016, 11:55 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
So are you saying that YOU wouldn't shop around for the best price/coverage if given an opportunity? If so, that goes against human nature! Of course when someone has an emergency they want the best and they want it now. I have seen nothing to make me believe that would be the case under the current system, or single payer for that matter. I was perfectly happy prior to the ACA.
I guess you don't have a chronic condition that disqualified you from getting any insurance before ACA. Or allowed your child to stay on your plan.

And when you have people saying NO and dragging their feet at every decision, this is what you get.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I guess you don't have a chronic condition that disqualified you from getting any insurance before ACA. Or allowed your child to stay on your plan.

And when you have people saying NO and dragging their feet at every decision, this is what you get.
Increasing competition would increase insurance options for everyone. Yes, products available for costlier patients would cost more, but shouldn't they? As long as there is a limited safety net for the truly poor, such as Medicaid, then that's the way it should work. When the government gets out of the way, free markets are exceptional at providing products where there is a need

Medical costs and the insurance system were broken before the ACA and just repealing it won't fix the problem either. Transparency and competition is the only way to do that

Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

You won't hear me say there weren't problems/issues with the prior system. Pre-existing conditions were certainly an issue. As far as children staying on their parents policy until 26, I see no reason for that. Children, in almost all cases, should be on their own by that time (all 3 of mine were). If they are not, you have probably failed as a parent!

In case you are not aware, people will drag their feet regardless of the sector...public or private sector.

My wife passed away in 2009. The insurance company did everything they said they would and even a little more. Well into 6 figure bill. My youngest son has a neurological disease that has cost the insurance company (BC/BS) more than 1 million dollars...they have done what they said they were going to do! My grandson had viral encephalitis and ran up bills well into 6 figures. Once again, the insurance company did as expected.
So you see, based on my personal experiences, I was pretty happy with how the private sector insurance companies handled everything.

I could go into many things involving my personal experiences with our government (local, state and federal) that didn't turn out so well!

"We're the government and we're here to help".....in most cases I'd have to say: "No thank you!"

I understand that some people want cradle to grave care... They like the "security" that gives them. I'm just not one of them!

Old 11-05-2016, 04:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
The reason that you are happy with your insurance experience is because insurance did what it is supposed to do. That being spreading and then mitigating the cost of a catastrophic event.

Most Americans are mindless sheep, to addled to understand.

Insurance is not a pre-payment plan. It is not even a discount plan. And it is certainly not a bottomless well, filled with cash to pay routine medical costs,

If one knows they are going to have medical expenses (sometimes called a pre existing condition), insurance is the absolute worst payment vehicle. If you know you will have expenses, so does the insurance company. And they will charge you for those cost, then tack on an additional 15 - 20% for profit and overhead. So you end up paying 20% more. And if you don't pay for the unopened expenses, your peeps will. That is a real simple reason everyone's rates are increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina