Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:00 PM

299 posts, read 249,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I was that poster, Cpt. A better term would be "endorses hate speech".

And again, you are free to say what you want. No one is going to jail for saying mean things. Just don't expect a gay woman to hire you if in your interview you say "I don't like women or gays".

Who would say that? Nobody that seriously wanted the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Who would say that? Nobody that seriously wanted the job.
Exactly. Try to connect the dots...

Old 10-26-2016, 02:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
It will be interesting to see with the election results soon to come, whether North Carolina retains any of its "New South" persona or abandons it entirely for a "Same as the Old South - Jim Crow II - the Revenge" mantle. If it choses the latter, I suspect that NC will be the first East Coast "flyover state" for businesses with even a hint of a progressive edge. They will no longer be able to figure out how many jobs thay've lost because they'll no longer be in the running to get much of anything. Over time, the state will be more like West Virginia than Virginia or South Carolina! That would be a real shame!!!

Old 10-26-2016, 02:51 PM

299 posts, read 249,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It will be interesting to see with the election results soon to come, whether North Carolina retains any of its "New South" persona or abandons it entirely for a "Same as the Old South - Jim Crow II - the Revenge" mantle. If it choses the latter, I suspect that NC will be the first East Coast "flyover state" for businesses with even a hint of a progressive edge. They will no longer be able to figure out how many jobs thay've lost because they'll no longer be in the running to get much of anything. Over time, the state will be more like West Virginia than Virginia or South Carolina! That would be a real shame!!!

I know that laws are written differently in every state but I thought most states and cities did not have any anti-discrimination laws in place for gays. Richmond Va. no law in place.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizenClinton View Post
So they move to a state that is looking to enact similar laws? Don't the people of Charlotte already live in this dispicably bigoted community? It didn't say they were transferring jobs, it said they were creating jobs. They are not forcing new hires to live in this state. They should be helping the movement by opening up their bathrooms and company as a safe haven from the bigotry. Don't run and hide.

My guess is this annoyomous person enjoys politics and the real reason was a business decision.
Virginia is not enacting a similar law. Some idiots tried but our governor vetoed the bill.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:35 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Virginia is not enacting a similar law. Some idiots tried but our governor vetoed the bill.
Bingo.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
I know that laws are written differently in every state but I thought most states and cities did not have any anti-discrimination laws in place for gays. Richmond Va. no law in place.
Read HB2, in its entirety, and I trust that you can figure out the problem. The bill had an effect on every person in the state who had or wanted to have a job. Everyone, gay or straight got a kick in the teeth from the brain surgeons in Raleigh.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
There are three basic camps with regards to statewide laws that protect LGBT citizens:
  1. Those states that do have some of them or all of them
  2. Those states do not have them at all
  3. Those states that actually prevent all communities (cities/counties) from enacting any of its own protections and purposely excludes the entire LGBT group from the statewide protections.

Guess which category NC belongs to after HB2?

In the state of NC, it's actually against the law to locally extend human rights protections beyond the state law: the law that cleverly and purposely excludes lgbt people as a protected class. The net effect of this law is that it creates a legal underclass without ever uttering a word about them.

It would seem to me that the G.A. and governor thought that they had cover for the law based on the "publicly palatable" ostracization of trans people based on fear. What they probably didn't expect is that their tactic would galvanize rather than divide the lgbt community, the business community, many faith communities and opponents of the law.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM

730 posts, read 775,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
After Indiana and NC's backlash it would take a tremendous amount of stupidity for any other state to take up the issue.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:56 AM

88 posts, read 55,908 times
Virginia is not enacting the law. Virginia is looking to enact the law. They had one religious liberty bill vetoed, while another was dropped to wait for a court ruling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina