Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
So you're not an economist of any standing. Got it, thanks. And, for obvious reasons, I'm giving no credence to anonymous claims of grandeur on the internet. In any event, you're clearly biased and have a political axe to grind, so your opinions carry little credence.
I'm curious, my friend BC -- why then did you ask, if you don't accept the answer?

In your eagerness to be disagreeable to me, you seem to pretend to miss the central point: The authors of the study you cite do not themselves claim to be economists at all! They are lawyers and public policy people.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 10-28-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 08:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
You're not allowed to simply choose the best candidate. Every had any dealings with a Federal contract? Quotas affirmative action means you can't simply choose the best candidate. In certain situations male owner businesses are discriminated against in favor of female owned businesses. This is just one example of discrimination that certain people face daily.
Well, nobody is being discriminated against if they generally stand a better chance of good employment at a higher rate of pay than a the people that affirmative action seeks to employ.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
I am absolutely amazed, though, that anyone things a DADT policy is possible.

Do you ever mention your husband or wife in casual conversation? Do you have photos of your family anywhere in your office?

When you refer to your spouse or partner, do you deliberately leave out gender pronouns?

If you are going out of your way to never let anyone know that you are married to a person (or dating a person) of the opposite sex, then I will believe that you are committed to DADT.

If you are not, you're looking at this with a very narrow point of view.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 AM

I think that DADT works quite well for the hiring process. LGBT considerations can easily be kept private early on. Beyond that, who knows why one person advances and another doesn't. So many factors.

What about ugly people and fat people? How about dumb people? Why does Harvard -- who claims to value diversity on campus because it benefits graduates in dealing with real life after graduation -- not have an affirmative-action program for people who are dumb per se? Most people encountered in real life will be considerably less intelligent than the typical Harvard grad. So why stop with race, sex, and LGBT considerations?

The answer is that government involvement in decisions of daily life chokes the life blood out of the governed. The miserable conditions in places like the former Soviet Union bear witness . . .

Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM

299 posts, read 249,597 times
I'll share an interesting story.
A friend of my daughters works in the admissions office of Meredith College. So very gently I asked her if they received an application from an 18 year old man to their undergraduate College what would they do? Without hesitation 'Straight into the shredder' was her response. 'Women's only Colleges must be protected'.

Interesting how some blatant discrimination is accepted and others are a problem.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
A friend of my daughters works in the admissions office of Meredith College. So very gently I asked her if they received an application from an 18 year old man to their undergraduate College what would they do? Without hesitation 'Straight into the shredder' was her response. 'Women's only Colleges must be protected'.

Interesting how some blatant discrimination is accepted and others are a problem.
I tried to join the Junior League, and they threatened to put me in the shredder.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:

Its not interesting. There is legal "discrimination" (if you wish to be melodramatic and use that term) and there is illegal discrimination. If Meredith's acceptance policies bother you so much, then sue them for violating your constitutional rights.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I'm curious, my friend BC -- why then did you ask, if you don't accept the answer?

In your eagerness to be disagreeable to me, you seem to pretend to miss the central point: The authors of the study you cite do not themselves claim to be economists at all! They are lawyers and public policy people.
So what? I'm not interested in your opinion of what constitutes a valid study. And please cite a non-biased study that contradicts the Williams study.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The answer is that government involvement in decisions of daily life chokes the life blood out of the governed. The miserable conditions in places like the former Soviet Union bear witness . . .

The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Thanks Chicken Little. We'll take your advice under consideration.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
So what? I'm not interested in your opinion of what constitutes a valid study.
I don't understand why you keep coming back to me with these kinds of questions. But since you asked, I will tell you "what." I said that the study authors were not economists of any standing. You challenged my competence to make that claim. The indisputable fact is that the authors do not claim to be economists. As they are not economists, it is quite clear that they are not economists of any standing.

Also, remember that you're not the only person reading the thread, and that other people may indeed value other kinds of opinions. In other words, you're basically incidental to my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina