Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:43 AM

32 posts, read 39,850 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am looking for opinions on areas in NC. My husband and I are a young, middle-class family with two small children. I lived in Maysville for a bit and we lived in Jacksonville. I've driven to Cary and Raleigh but never stayed long enough to have an opinion on areas. I have heard that Raleigh has a very good hospital, which is pretty important to us since we have children. We are looking for a town with a "mountain feel", since I enjoy hiking and a nice mountain or valley view would be a plus! The issue is, we also enjoy the ocean...and I'm aware that towns offering that mountain view are mainly in the western side. Are there any towns (safe, of course!) that offer best of both worlds? Traveling to the ocean wouldn't be an issue, but an hour ride would probably be tops. I'm open to all options since we have another year or so until we move.
Price Range for home: $170,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 11:41 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
I suggest you look at a map of NC if you think you can be anywhere near both the mountains and the coast. The middle of the state is about 3-4 hours from each. It's a LONG state east-to-west.

No sense is asking about "neighborhoods" until you find a city/town first.

You might look into Virginia, where the mountains come closer to the coast than they do in NC. But you have to be on the West Coast to have mountains AND coast right together.

You also haven't said anything else about what factors you're looking for--job market (and in what industry), etc. There's a lot more to finding somewhere to move than "mountain views", unless you're independently wealthy.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asousa View Post
Price Range for home: $170,000
That is pretty low budget for Cary and Raleigh. Greenville has more reasonable prices if you want to be close to the coast. Hickory, Morganton or Winston-Salem will have reasonable prices if you want to be close to the coast. Asheville is nice but expensive for what the jobs pay.

Wherever you want to go, you will have to make compromises. Virginia, especially a place like Roanoke, is a good suggestion. It is close to the mountains but large enough to have a decent job market.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I could post in a general NC forum..so I figured this forum might help me! I know Raleigh is too "city" for us. My best friend is actually from Roanoke VA. It is a cute town but unfortunately my husband does not like VA (I don't think he realizes there are more places besides Ft. Lee!)

Old 11-07-2016, 12:07 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asousa View Post
unfortunately my husband does not like VA (I don't think he realizes there are more places besides Ft. Lee!)
Having worked there, I know Fort Lee is the pits. Roanoke or Salem would be an excellent option for you. The scenery is lovely, and you can go hiking easily. It's an easy weekend trip to Virginia Beach.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I suggest you look at a map of NC if you think you can be anywhere near both the mountains and the coast. The middle of the state is about 3-4 hours from each. It's a LONG state east-to-west.

No sense is asking about "neighborhoods" until you find a city/town first.

You might look into Virginia, where the mountains come closer to the coast than they do in NC. But you have to be on the West Coast to have mountains AND coast right together.

You also haven't said anything else about what factors you're looking for--job market (and in what industry), etc. There's a lot more to finding somewhere to move than "mountain views", unless you're independently wealthy.

I understand the state is pretty long coast to coast. I wasn't looking for suggestions on specific neighborhoods..just a point in the right direction as to which areas that aren't TOO middle-of-state. I can't seem to find an area that has a low crime rate

Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Having worked there, I know Fort Lee is the pits. Roanoke or Salem would be an excellent option for you. The scenery is lovely, and you can go hiking easily. It's an easy weekend trip to Virginia Beach.
Thank you!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
You asked for no more than an hour from the beach and a mountain view. You'll have to decide which is more important as you cannot come close to having both. Narrow it down, either/or, and people can help you.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
It's 500-600 miles from the mountains to the beaches. Eastern NC (anything east of I-95) is the flattest flat you ever saw. Flatter than a pancake. No mountain views at all anywhere within 1 hour of the ocean. Virginia's mountains are much closer to the ocean, South Carolina's small mountains are closer, Georgia's tiny bit of mountains are closer. It's one or the other if you want to be in NC.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's 500-600 miles from the mountains to the beaches. Eastern NC (anything east of I-95) is the flattest flat you ever saw. Flatter than a pancake. No mountain views at all anywhere within 1 hour of the ocean. Virginia's mountains are much closer to the ocean, South Carolina's small mountains are closer, Georgia's tiny bit of mountains are closer. It's one or the other if you want to be in NC.
Thank you. That's what I figured. I just wasn't sure if there was an area more in-land with some mountain but still close enough to the beaches. Definitely one or the other. I have a lot of deciding to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina