Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM

730 posts, read 775,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
My question is how much larger does the Urban areas need to be to start tipping the scales for the state. With so much growth going on I was shocked. You don't hear any moving to the rural areas yet they have that much power. I guess my question is when will we see some type of change. Will the urban areas being able to carry the state.
Voter turn out is the key. All the polls said HRC so urbanites didn't vote in the percentages that rural residents did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 03:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Voter turn out is the key. All the polls said HRC so urbanites didn't vote in the percentages that rural residents did.
You are correct.

And, all this time, I had a feeling this sort of apathy would cost Clinton the White House.

Democrats, bless them, are terrible at turning out a vote.

I know, I know.... I'm an Independent.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You are correct.

And, all this time, I had a feeling this sort of apathy would cost Clinton the White House.

Democrats, bless them, are terrible at turning out a vote.

I know, I know.... I'm an Independent.
I don't know that I agree with all these presumptions. First of all, and like usual, Wake County had the most votes cast. By the end of the election, its turnout rate was quite impressive at over 74% of registered voters. This is despite the reduction of early voting days & locations and the elimination of same day registration. Suppression of the urban area votes was purposeful and designed to be that way. In the end, there were 27 fewer polling places in NC this year despite a rapidly growing population. Since SCOTUS gutted the voting rights act, there were a staggering 868 fewer polling places primarily across the South. In other states, suppression techniques were thinly veiled to lower voter turnout in large cities/counties. For example, in Ohio, each county only has one early voting location without regard to the counties' populations. A county of 50,000 residents had the same access to the polls as a county of a half million.

Another factor that cost Clinton votes was the discrepancy between votes for her and votes for other Democrats up for election. Using Wake as an example again, Cooper received 12,000 more votes than Clinton. Some of this is due to people splitting their vote between parties and some of it is due to people not even voting for president this year at all. In Wake, 8000+ less people cast a vote for President than they did for Governor . While the Republican Party knew that they probably couldn't improve Trump's "negatives", they knew that they could increase Hillary's "negatives" and get otherwise progressive and moderate voters to not vote at all. Thanks FBI and Wikileaks.

In many of NC's major counties, Clinton actually outperformed Obama in 2012 by number and percentage.

Finally, in my opinion, Clinton lost NC and other swing states because of the huge swing toward the Republicans in the rural states. She lost many of them by staggering margins. While they might not seem to carry much weight individually, those counties in aggregate make a big difference.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 11-10-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 03:49 PM

530 posts, read 637,692 times
Quote:
In many of NC's major counties, Clinton actually outperformed Obama in 2012 by number and percentage.
I noticed this as well. In the counties I checked ( Wake, Mecklenburg, Durham, Guilford and Forsyth counties) Clinton received more votes than Obama did. Trump received less votes than Romney did.

Yet, Trump still won the state by a bigger margin that Romney did.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,404 times
It wasn't the big counties that cost Clinton NC.

In comparison to 2012, Clinton gained Watauga county (which voted for Romney), and she improved a bit in New Hanover but she lost a few counties that Obama carried back in 2012:

Nash (which was very very close. A few hundred votes separated the two.)
Granville (which before 2016, voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in 4/5 the last elections)
Gates County
Bladen County (which barely went for Obama)
Martin County (which I believe lost by only 70 votes)
Richmond County
Robeson County (which is actually quite surprising given the minority population of Blacks and Lumbee Indians outnumber the white population here. However, it is one of the poorest counties in the state so I could see where Trump's message would resonate)

With Richmond, Robeson, and Bladen in particular, Trump ate into a pretty persistent cluster of blue counties found in the Southeastern corner of the state.

Durham did increase it's margins for Clinton (78% D vs 75%D for 2012), but so did Yadkin (79% vs 75% in 2012)

Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,404 times
Also worth noting:

A few more counties voted in the 70-75% Bracket for Trump. A few more counties voted in the 75-79% range for Trump (the latter of which didn't happen foRomney back in 2012)

-Orange county increased its margin for the Democratic candidate by 4-5 percentage points, but Clinton underperformed in Hertford by 4-5 percentage points

-Even though NC's most Republican county voted just under 80% for Trump, there are a few counties in neighboring Georgia that had counties voting anywhere from 80-88 percent Trump.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:35 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
When do we find out who won the governor's race?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
When do we find out who won the governor's race?
After this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

The State Board of Elections Office is circulating the below outline of post-election processes administered throughout the state’s 100 counties:

1) Absentee ballots. Mail-in absentee ballots postmarked on or before Election Day will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Nov. 14. Overseas and military absentee ballots are accepted through Nov. 17.

2) Sample Audit. Every county conducts a sample hand-to-eye count of ballots in randomly selected precincts and one-stop locations to confirm results tabulated by machine. Counties must conduct their hand-to-eye counts in public.

3) Provisional ballot meetings. Each county board of elections will meet before certifying the election to make decisions on provisional applications submitted by voters during early voting and on Election Day.
If the board determines that the voter is eligible, the provisional ballot is counted. Provisional ballots are cast when an individual’s registration information does not appear in the poll books or there are other questions about that person’s eligibility to vote.

4) County canvass. County boards of elections will certify results at public meetings held at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 18.

5) Recounts. For statewide contests this year, the vote difference must be 10,000 votes or less for a candidate to demand a recount after the county canvass.
The demand for a recount must be in writing and received by the State Board of Elections no later than noon Tuesday, Nov. 22.
If a recount is demanded, the State Board of Elections Office would issue a schedule, and the counties would conduct recounts individually during open meetings.
For non-statewide contests, the difference between the candidates must be within 1 percent of the total votes cast in the ballot item.

6) State canvass. The State Board of Elections will certify statewide results for all federal, statewide, multi-district and judicial contests at a public meeting held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 29. Results in each contest are not considered official until that date.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:22 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
So if there is a recount, which I am sure there will be, it will be after Thanksgiving, or into December, since the recount must be certified also, I am assuming?

Old 11-11-2016, 06:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
In case the post exceeds your attention span:

The State Board of Elections will certify statewide results for all federal, statewide, multi-district and judicial contests at a public meeting held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 29. Results in each contest are not considered official until that date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina