Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 03:42 PM

26 posts, read 70,104 times

Advertisements

my family and i are looking into relocating to n.c. we both love the charm that the southern states seem to have. a little about us, i am 29 and a carpenter. my wife is 22 and a stay at home mom for our 6 month old daughter. we have both lived in massachusetts our whole life but its feels as tho the south is calling us. so i guess im going to ask the typical questions. whats the job market like for carpenters. what towns are worth looking into (we like the smaller towns, rolling hills to mountainous terrain and hopefully a few mom and pop stores to shop at) i guess ill start there and see what everyone has to say.

Last edited by mass_family; 02-26-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i dont know much about the profession, but i would assume that if you work on building homes, then it doesnt matter much where you live bacause you would be commuting to wherever the homes are being built.
so i guess you can live wherever you like.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM

55 posts, read 123,757 times
Default Laurinburg

Figured I'd respond since I too recently moved here from MA. I chose to live in Laurinburg, I've pasted a response about the area below. Carpenters should be able to find work anywhere - even with the housing market the way it is houses are still being built in large numbers.... Good luck with your search.
Just thought I'd put my two cents in since everyone else seems to be. I moved down to NC as a result of a new job back in September. Mind you, I'd spent all 23 years of my life living up North in MA and went to college in NH. Needless to say this was the biggest move of my life to date and I did it alone - all of my family and friends are still up North. I started out renting a room in Raeford - the job acceptance/offer came rather quickly and being unfamiliar with the area I just picked a place within 30 minutes of work. After I got my bearings I started house hunting - most of the people I work with live in Laurinburg, so I checked the area out along with Fayetteville, Raeford, and surrounding areas. I found a house that I loved in a nice neighborhood in Laurinburg. I moved in in January. It's been great - I couldn't ask for better neighbors - on move in day the neighbors were raking my yard since the house had been vacant for several months. That was so nice to see. I'd never expect that from my neighbors up North. Within the first week or so of moving in - all of the neighbors had come by to introduce themselves and ask if there was anything I needed. This was really nice especially since I was 800 miles from friends and family. It's the kind of place where people look out for one another.

Now, Laurinburg itself - sure it's no metropolis - but it has what you need. A Walmart - every fast food restaurant on the planet, an Italian restaurant, several grocery stores, gas stations, Belk and Lowes. The basics are covered. Sure if you want to do the mall experience you have to drive up to Fayetteville, but so what, it's 40 miles north on 401 - a straight shot and a nice drive. They're also building an Applebees and some other restaurants. The stuff about the Scotland Inn is true - but what town or city doesn't have a sketchy motel?? There are several other nice options - I stayed in the Holiday Inn when I flew in to interview and the service was great, the people were friendly I had no complaints. I have yet to see a cockroach anywhere - granted it's only been 6 months - but still. It is not infested by bugs!
The downtown area of Laurinburg is very quaint, large older buildings, but very charming. There are also several unique stores and shops. Again, no bugs seen down there either.
The only downside to the area is that there isn't much to do for the younger crowd - I say younger as I'm 24 and single - but I hear the same thing from the highschool kids I've spoken with. There is a movie theatre but it's old, and the floors are dirty - if the owners were willing to renovate it'd do a great business. There are enough people in town to support it. The bar (Champs) is not someplace I'd be comfortable walking into by myself. I haven't met many people my age either. But I bought a house and that's been keeping me busy.
Adjusting to the Southern way of life has been challenging, as it's like night and day from what I've grown up with, but it's nice. It's nice to walk down the street and have someone make eye contact and say hello, or goodmorning. It's nice to have neighbors who know you exsist and seem to care. The weather is amazing - they think 40 degrees is cold - that's like a New England spring! I love it.
All in all, I'm happy I made the move and I have come to embrace Laurinburg and feel at home here. As with everything, you shouldn't jump to conclusions or believe everything you read. Come spend a day or two and see what Laurinburg has to offer. It may not be your speed or it may be just right. )

Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 20,707 times
Default relocating from mass

Lucky you! I just returned from a week in south carolina and thought I was re-born. Seriously, I met the nicest people wherever I went. Being from Cape Cod I was immediately paranoid if someone actually said hello to me as I was walking ( it happened frequently )
I would suggest two books that may be in the libraries or a newer version in the bookstores. The 100 Best Small Towns in America is one and the other is The Top Retirement Places in America. ( the title may be worded somewhat differently but you should find it.)
The only other thing I can think of was if you own a home try to rent it for a year and try to rent where you are going, just in case. Other than that I am envious and wish you the best in your travels!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,272 times
we relocated from mass in august 2006 and i can honestly say i wish we had relocated sooner. I grew up in a city and wanted a better way of life for my family. i have a 3 and 8 year. my first priority was schools and i researched until i found the schools i wanted then i started looking for property. House prices are definitely cheaper but taxes are 7% instead 5% and they do tax on food and clothing here. Have you looked at any areas in particular, beach, mountain etc.? I can only recommend where we live in clayton has the country feel yet close enough to everything you need. Raleigh is slowly growing, i think because more and more people are transplanting and expect what they had at home.
By the way where in mass are you from?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
State Income Tax Rate - 6%-7.75% depending upon your filing status and your taxable income.
Local Income Tax Rate - None.
State Sales Tax Rate - 4.25%
Local Sales Tax Rate - 2.5% - 3% depending on county of residence.
Property Tax Rate - varies depending on county-city of residence.
Food Sales Tax - depends on specific item and level of preparation prior to sale.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:08 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
You'll like it here. Much to do since it sounds like you are an outdoor person. We have great scenery, great parks for bike riding or hiking, wonderful lake areas to ski or boat, friendly people, a 2-hr drive to the beach, a 4hr drive to the mountains, a day's drive back to Mass if you want to visit and you can pick the outskirts of the main city of Raleigh/Cary to live. Wake Forest is wonderful, Youngsville is unique, Fuquay Varina is the other way (South) that is quiet, Clayton area... so much to choose from. Get an apartment for awhile and start looking around where you want to be is the best advice I can recommend.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM

39 posts, read 88,505 times
Charm! What charm? Most of the towns in Franklin/Vance County are run down with no appeal whatsoever. The one exception being New Bern, NC. Maybe you are thinking of Charleston or Savanah. Mom and Pop shops . . do you mean gift stores? My latest disappointment with Franklin County is the recent closing of the only two garden centers in the area. The area can't compare with the diversity and options found in New England. We miss New England for oh so many reasons . . even the snow!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 AM

66 posts, read 285,031 times
Default Try Southern Pines

Southern Pines has a nice village feel, and quite a few transplants from New England states. In fact they have been coming here since 1880. We have quite a bit of growth and are close to shopping, golf, horses and Ft Bragg. It's a good place to raise a family.

We are 5 minutes from Pinehurst Golf Resort and village, and Aberdeen with all the big shopping, Lowes, Wal mart, Belks, Steinmart, Harris Teeter and all the chain food resturaunts.

I am a remodeling contractor, and know that carpenters can find work.

You can get an idea of the feel if you read the local paper on line. The Sandhills section gives you an idea of the events happening. This is the site

Front section of the Southern Pines Pilot

Good Luck

Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,502 times
Smile Move From The North

I came from the frigid north and will never likely return again, except to visit family.

Last edited by Artist Anne; 06-25-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: bad html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina