Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 07:16 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Viva Carolina do Mecklenburg & Carolina do Wake e Durham

It's Charlotte, Raleigh & Durhan why we rank high nationally. Other than that, we are Alabama

Very true. Virtually all job creation in NC since the recession has been in those 3 counties. Guilford County (Greensboro) has the same number of jobs now as before the recession. A vast majority of counties have fewer jobs. And the race to bottom that our current general assembly is pursuing is not going to change that.

I wish we were Alabama. In 2015, AL announced twice as many jobs by new and expanded companies as NC. Plus they've got 4 car manufacturing plants...compared to zero in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:37 AM

299 posts, read 249,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Very true. Virtually all job creation in NC since the recession has been in those 3 counties. Guilford County (Greensboro) has the same number of jobs now as before the recession. A vast majority of counties have fewer jobs. And the race to bottom that our current general assembly is pursuing is not going to change that.

I wish we were Alabama. In 2015, AL announced twice as many jobs by new and expanded companies as NC. Plus they've got 4 car manufacturing plants...compared to zero in NC.
Now that Ford has changed it's mind about more factories in Mexico maybe NC could get one? Iphones are potentially going to be made in the US was well. Hopefully this might turn into a trend. Bright future.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Now that Ford has changed it's mind about more factories in Mexico maybe NC could get one? Iphones are potentially going to be made in the US was well. Hopefully this might turn into a trend. Bright future.
NC has had multiple chances to land a car manufacturing plant, most recently the Volvo plant that went to SC. Our GA and Governor lack the vision and will to attract such a facility. Plus, the tax incentives necessary to complete such a deal would be vigorously opposed by persons of your political persuasion.

By the way, Ford is still building a new plant in Mexico.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:57 AM

299 posts, read 249,597 times
'By the way, Ford is still building a new plant in Mexico.'

They're completing one. May well turn out to be a classic error on their part.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
'By the way, Ford is still building a new plant in Mexico.'

They're completing one. May well turn out to be a classic error on their part.
Well I'm sure Bill Ford would love to hear your thoughts on it. Give him a call and let us know what happens.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The reason why we get on these list are due to the progressive ideas and laws brought by leaders many decades ago. This has less on current leadership. Because we were on these list before the current administration.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 PM

133 posts, read 162,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The reason why we get on these list are due to the progressive ideas and laws brought by leaders many decades ago. This has less on current leadership. Because we were on these list before the current administration.
The biggest reason why it is occurring is due to the dramatic changes in tax policy over the past decade. NC used to be a very high tax state, and rates have been reduced substantially in recent years. The reform has been incredible. NC is doing exactly what it should be doing to be more successful: they are taking smaller slices of a larger pie. They are reducing the percentages, broadening the base and cutting waste. Simultaneously, states like CA, NJ and NY where businesses used to flourish have seen their rates pop through the roof and companies are relocating to NC as a result.

The common complaint is that Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham have seen most of the growth while more rural areas of the state haven't seen the same boom.

Of course. When so many businesses are relocating at once, they are moving to the most developed areas to tap into maximum population density for a diversity of workers, the most developed highway systems for ease of transportation, the greatest availability of public utilities from electricity to high speed internet...the list goes on and on.

The development of the state is far behind that of the Northeast, and growth will branch out accordingly. All organic economic growth is trickle-down - it starts at the top and works its way to the extremities. It'll get there in time and it can't happen all at once, but NC is developing its landmass so quickly it'll probably happen before we know it.

I suggest reading Tax Foundation where you can get the facts.

North Carolina Illustrated | Tax Foundation

Old 11-18-2016, 07:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,723 times
Finally, someone that understands basic economics. I was beginning to believe this forum is entirely comprised of retired northern liberals that moved here to stretch their government checks, while simultaneously pissing all over the people and policies that brought them here

Old 11-18-2016, 09:44 PM

133 posts, read 162,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Finally, someone that understands basic economics. I was beginning to believe this forum is entirely comprised of retired northern liberals that moved here to stretch their government checks, while simultaneously pissing all over the people and policies that brought them here
There's a lot of that for sure. There is a real lack of self-responsibility where I live, and you'll never meet a cluster of more miserable people than you will between DC and Boston. At least in the USA.

For generations, most people didn't leave their hometowns because they have a sentimental attachment to the place and the people they surround themselves with. However, things have changed over the past generation or two. It's becoming more and more commonplace for people's children to start their own families and relocate, so new retirees find themselves relocating as well. The thing is, they all flock South where they can afford to retire because it's just too darn expensive where they live. What they can't see is that they're the ones that created the prison, and they want to ruin the place they're moving to as well.

I'm from the mindset that if you are staying at someone else's house, you observe their rules. You don't try and take their house over, then get upset when the host treats you as if you don't belong. America worked for 200 years because the people emigrating wanted to become Americans. Nowadays, people want to bring their country and values to America. If you're going to up and leave and move into someone else's neighborhood, it's your obligation to be more like them, not to change them into you. You're leaving your culture for a reason - it's an inferior culture. That's my opinion, anyway. NC is growing because it has a better culture right now and the Mid-Atlantic and New England states are bleeding because their culture has fallen apart. Sorry for the long rant.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:50 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
the most miserable people I meet are native North Carolinians yearning to return to a day that will never come back. I'm a native Tarheel born & raised in Charlotte. Diversity, immigration, education and being a welcoming place are ideals I learned.

I don't like it when people from the north look down on us and I don't like it when people here talk down about new residents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina