Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:27 AM

71 posts, read 95,887 times

Advertisements

I realize there are numerous threads on here regarding speeding tickets, but haven't found one (at least a recent one) with my situation.

I was pulled yesterday--speeding 15 over in a school zone (40 in a 25). It's on a divided highway that's normally posted at 45 MPH and it snuck up on me. My fault. Due to my driving record (no citations in NC in over 11 years), the officer went ahead and reduced it to 9 over, with no indication I was in a school zone, told me to slow down and sent me on my way.

From what I've read, 9 over is the "sweet spot" most people want to get to, and I'm already there. Is it worth hiring an attorney to try to get it further reduced to improper equipment? My understanding is that while I'll get DMV points for this, I won't receive insurance points. I'm not required to have a clean driving record for work or anything.

The attorney I spoke with charges $100 up front and there are still court costs too--the total cost on the ticket is $203 that I don't mind paying.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Find out if your insurance will go up if convicted of 9 mph over. If not, I'd probably just pay it.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:59 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
I realize there are numerous threads on here regarding speeding tickets, but haven't found one (at least a recent one) with my situation.

I was pulled yesterday--speeding 15 over in a school zone (40 in a 25). It's on a divided highway that's normally posted at 45 MPH and it snuck up on me. My fault. Due to my driving record (no citations in NC in over 11 years), the officer went ahead and reduced it to 9 over, with no indication I was in a school zone, told me to slow down and sent me on my way.

From what I've read, 9 over is the "sweet spot" most people want to get to, and I'm already there. Is it worth hiring an attorney to try to get it further reduced to improper equipment? My understanding is that while I'll get DMV points for this, I won't receive insurance points. I'm not required to have a clean driving record for work or anything.

The attorney I spoke with charges $100 up front and there are still court costs too--the total cost on the ticket is $203 that I don't mind paying.

Any thoughts?
3 options:

1. Use PJC and get it wiped off, but if you get another ticket that charge will come back and stay on your record as well as the new charge.

2. Reduce to a lesser charge.

3. Improper Equipment, can only use once also.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Here's a chart for insurance points from the NC Dept. of Insurance. I don't know that it means you won't receive any insurance points or rate increase at 9 mph over versus 15, but at worst case, you wouldn't receive quite as much of a rate increase that you would at 15 mph over the speed limit (30% increase in insurance rates for next 3 years versus 45% increase).

http://www.ncdoi.com/_Publications/I...oints_CAU1.pdf

You can check with an attorney and/or your insurance agent to confirm what applies to you though.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Here's a chart for insurance points from the NC Dept. of Insurance. I don't know that it means you won't receive any insurance points or rate increase at 9 mph over versus 15, but at worst case, you wouldn't receive quite as much of a rate increase that you would at 15 mph over the speed limit (30% increase in insurance rates for next 3 years versus 45% increase).

http://www.ncdoi.com/_Publications/I...oints_CAU1.pdf

You can check with an attorney and/or your insurance agent to confirm what applies to you though.

Thanks for the link, Jowel! According to the box at the bottom, I'll receive zero insurance points since I wasn't cited for speeding in a school zone and it's my only occurrence in the past "experience period," which is the past 3 years. I've always heard to NEVER just pay it, but the way things are aligned I must just do it--I don't see any real ill-effect.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
Thanks for the link, Jowel! According to the box at the bottom, I'll receive zero insurance points since I wasn't cited for speeding in a school zone and it's my only occurrence in the past "experience period," which is the past 3 years. I've always heard to NEVER just pay it, but the way things are aligned I must just do it--I don't see any real ill-effect.
Don't just pay it. That means you plead guilty and exempts you from a lesser charge and if you are fined in the future, that won't look good on your record. If this is the your first time, just got to court and fight it yourself. Save yourself the lawyer fee.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 PM

160 posts, read 205,944 times
Hiring a lawyer is a waste. They charge anywhere from $350 + court fees. I recommend just go to the court and accept your fault and see if they will reduce the charge or remove it. PJC is another option as well. But why would you have to pay a lawyer to do this? The cost of insurance to raise might turn out to be cheaper than a lawyer + court fees.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,329 times
1. Buy a well fitting suit

2. Wear suit and go to court on your court date

3. When your time comes, speak with the Assistant District Attorney who calls you up

4. Be very apologetic, accept your mistake, and ask for dismissal due to your clean driving record
--A) Dismissal is accepted, goto #8
--B) Dismissal is refused, goto #5

5. Ask for prayer for judgement
--A) PFJ is accepted, goto #8
--B) PFJ is refused, goto #6

6. Ask for continuance so you can hire proper legal representation
--A) Asst. District Attorney is by now tired of you and wants you out so they dismiss case cause you're a headache and they got 100 more cases to get to before lunch time, goto #8
--B) Asst. District Attorney agrees to continuance, goto #7

7. Hire a lawyer and have them reduce it to improper equipment (you will pay fine + court costs, but no insurance or DL points)

8. Enjoy rest of your day

Old 12-08-2016, 09:05 AM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived View Post

3. When your time comes, speak with the Assistant District Attorney who calls you up

4. Be very apologetic, accept your mistake, and ask for dismissal due to your clean driving record

--A) Asst. District Attorney is by now tired of you and wants you out so they dismiss case cause you're a headache and they got 100 more cases to get to before lunch time, goto #8

7. Hire a lawyer and have them reduce it to improper equipment (you will pay fine + court costs, but no insurance or DL points)

This is a great post. I also went to court to represent myself for a PFJ years and years ago, when I was a newbie to the state and got caught in that speed trap on 70 outside Kinston where it temporarily drops to 55 mph. If you have a clean record and also - this is key - are committed to keeping a safe and clean record for a minimum a year after that (no spending whatsoever), it's pretty basic and easy to do.

Wouldn't have thought to ask for a dismissal though, with a clean record. Good points here.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived View Post

Archived, thank you for your (extremely) helpful post! I'm sure it will help many others in the future.

The more I've thought about it, I guess I have little to lose going in person and asking for a dismissal. Although I haven't had a citation in years (I've ordered a certified copy of my driving record to take with me), I've been hesitant about a PFJ since I have a heavy lead foot (not an excuse, I know) and if I get cited again. I'll take it if that's what's offered, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: