Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:15 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times

Advertisements

Yeah ... we be as dumb as a bunch o' rocks heah in Caroline.

We so dumb that Cisco, IBM, Glaxo, Bank of America, Lowes, Quintiles, LabCorp, Linux, BB&T, Nortel, Duke Hospital, UNC Hospital, SAS, Waste Industries and Remington come heah to take advantage of us be un so ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 04:27 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
While I do cringe a little bit and the hypocrisy of the "billybob" label; there is credit in the argument that the folks that would be labeled with that stereotype do tend to be the ones who have some deep disdain for "PC" culture and basically feel they should be able to say whatever they want about whoever they want whenever they want...

It's been pretty widely noted that the rural-white- non-college educated voter turnout is what won the election for Trump and why the federal and many state (including NC) legislatures are Republican-dominated. Pundits and the general public can and will interpret that however they want.
ohh, it's been "noted" in the sense that it's been claimed, for sure.

I though it was the women who LOST it for Hillary. In't that what Madonna and some other celebrity feminists told us? I thought it was LACK OF turnout for Hillary, not some huge subgroup change FOR Trump that made the difference.

We can certainly say that MI, OH, WI and PA made the difference, since they were pretty blue states that elected Trump instead.

But not the BillyBobs of NC, a state that has historically voted Republican more than not at the Federal level since 1994, and generally R for President since 1980

Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
This is an interesting "article" for those that have the time. It details reasoning behind the rural and urban divide from a unique point of view. Seriously go get a cup of coffee, read it, noodle on it, and then formulate some thoughts:

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Yeah ... we be as dumb as a bunch o' rocks heah in Caroline.

We so dumb that Cisco, IBM, Glaxo, Bank of America, Lowes, Quintiles, LabCorp, Linux, BB&T, Nortel, Duke Hospital, UNC Hospital, SAS, Waste Industries and Remington come heah to take advantage of us be un so ignorant.

Most of those are in the Great state of Mecklenburg and in Wake/Durham . That's not Caroline. That's those Libs who lets men use bathroom with little girls

I find it funny when people point to Charlotte and Raleigh as to why our state is successful yet at the same time fight against us at every turn when we actually know how to create jobs and subsidize the rest of the state.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM

147 posts, read 162,821 times
50 counties in NC have a median household income of less than $40K. Median for USA is $52K.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._capita_income

Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
This is an interesting "article" for those that have the time. It details reasoning behind the rural and urban divide from a unique point of view. Seriously go get a cup of coffee, read it, noodle on it, and then formulate some thoughts:

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind
before I read it, which half lost its ****ing mind?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:05 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
before I read it, which half lost its ****ing mind?
The title is less than stellar because it's a Cracked article and the language within can be a tad fragrant. The title is really just pulling you in to an explanation as to why people think those in rural areas are crazy, but they aren't and are being misunderstood.

Just read it with an open mind and don't rush to judgement of me here. Not everyone on this forum is out to start a troll war. I'd argue both sides have lost their damn minds. I just wanted to share a piece I found that made me do an inner retrospective of my own thoughts on these issues.

It was written from the viewpoint of a guy that was born and raised rural, who then got a ludicrous job in the tech world in the city. There are legit gems in there that pull at heartstrings, like this:

Quote:
See, rural jobs used to be based around one big local business -- a factory, a coal mine, etc. When it dies, the town dies. Where I grew up, it was an oil refinery closing that did us in. I was raised in the hollowed-out shell of what the town had once been.
Quote:
If you don't live in one of these small towns, you can't understand the hopelessness. The vast majority of possible careers involve moving to the city, and around every city is now a hundred-foot wall called "Cost of Living."
Quote:
They take it hard. These are people who come from a long line of folks who took pride in looking after themselves. Where I'm from, you weren't a real man unless you could repair a car, patch a roof, hunt your own meat, and defend your home from an intruder. It was a source of shame to be dependent on anyone -- especially the government.
Quote:
The rural folk with the Trump signs in their yards say their way of life is dying, and you smirk and say what they really mean is that blacks and gays are finally getting equal rights and they hate it. But I'm telling you, they say their way of life is dying because their way of life is dying. It's not their imagination.

Last edited by DPK; 12-18-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
All those robots need programming and that skill requires more education, possibly a 4 year degree. Once one has a 4 year degree, IMO, they are not moving back to Laurinburg.
Your post is tinged with ignorance. Programmers don't need a degree, and fewer are pursuing them. I know so many college dropouts who took their skills to startups for more money than any degree will generate. But all of this is shortsighted anyway, because with the rapid advances in artificial intelligence, even programming will become a marginalized skill set.

I can see a not-so-distant future where college enrollment drops off dramatically due to escalating costs and a seriously flawed ROI. Then it will be necessary to accomplish something, not just attend classes, in order to prance around as an arrogant elitist snob.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:27 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Your post is tinged with ignorance. Programmers don't need a degree, and fewer are pursuing them.
Be careful with your statements. While I'd agree with you in some instances of that statement, there are some skill sets you learn in a degree program that you don't learn in some of these "code academy" type programs.

It's just not possible to take four years of a degree program and then cram all that into a 6 month code school. In certain fields of programming/development that can be fine (ruby, ui/ux, javascript), but you are not going to dig deep into issues of scale, machine learning, etc. There were classes in my computer science undergrad that didn't even touch a computer but dealt with understanding concepts and theory.

For some companies/industries in the tech sector this is a huge deal.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 162,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Your post is tinged with ignorance. Programmers don't need a degree, and fewer are pursuing them. I know so many college dropouts who took their skills to startups for more money than any degree will generate. But all of this is shortsighted anyway, because with the rapid advances in artificial intelligence, even programming will become a marginalized skill set.

I can see a not-so-distant future where college enrollment drops off dramatically due to escalating costs and a seriously flawed ROI. Then it will be necessary to accomplish something, not just attend classes, in order to prance around as an arrogant elitist snob.
Most people don't have the discipline and drive to teach themselves those important fundamentals the CS degree gives you, and never reach the same level those who have the degree do.

The CS degree pays for itself and not having it closes doors for advancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina