Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times

Advertisements

In theory, I think I understand the requirement to have an automobile inspected annually. But, if this is such a great idea, why isn't it required nationwide? I guess I am just disgruntled with the 'system' (my husband calls it a hidden tax) because I am running into some trouble getting my car inspected.

One of the front headlamps is cracked; has been for a good number of years, but the lamp works perfectly. It has been through rain, snow, puddles, left on inadvertently until the battery died, but works perfectly. I cannot get it to pass inspection here because it is cracked.

It is NOT as simple as just replacing the headlamp. The whole front bumper has to come off, and is evidently a little more labor-intensive than what it appears. The best estimate to change the lamp has been about $200.

In the meanwhile, I have an expired inspection sticker and run the risk of getting a ticket. I may be having to drive the car back to Wilmington to find someone to do it? And how fair/legal is that? Because I may be able to find someone to ignore the fact the lamp is broken but STILL works?

Now, what's that all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
In theory, I think I understand the requirement to have an automobile inspected annually. But, if this is such a great idea, why isn't it required nationwide? I guess I am just disgruntled with the 'system' (my husband calls it a hidden tax) because I am running into some trouble getting my car inspected.

One of the front headlamps is cracked; has been for a good number of years, but the lamp works perfectly. It has been through rain, snow, puddles, left on inadvertently until the battery died, but works perfectly. I cannot get it to pass inspection here because it is cracked.

It is NOT as simple as just replacing the headlamp. The whole front bumper has to come off, and is evidently a little more labor-intensive than what it appears. The best estimate to change the lamp has been about $200.

In the meanwhile, I have an expired inspection sticker and run the risk of getting a ticket. I may be having to drive the car back to Wilmington to find someone to do it? And how fair/legal is that? Because I may be able to find someone to ignore the fact the lamp is broken but STILL works?

Now, what's that all about?
You run more than getting a ticket - wait too long and you'll get a letter from the state and possibly a fine....

Old 02-28-2008, 09:16 AM

Default aarrgghh

I took my chances for a number of years -- well over two, I seem to recall -- when I first ran into this. If everything on a car works, is deemed reliable, and safe, then what is the deal?

I saw the requirements, myself -- a headlamp cannot be cracked. But I kid you not, it has been like this for years, and works perfectly. Even if it blew, wouldn't you get a ticket then for having a light out? That seems more fair to me than not passing the vehicle when everything works, including the cracked headlamp. And if it blew, and you got no ticket, it would not pass inspection the next year, so you would have to replace it.

I may be just ranting, I admit, but my question/concern/ire seems legitimate to me. It isn't like I would be getting away with anything because eventually, like anything on the vehicle, I'd have to address it. Why am I being forced to spend this kind of money for the privilege of driving here, and in other states where auto inspections are required? If auto inspections are such a good idea, and in theory, I agree with the whole deal, why isn't it mandated nationwide?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I took my chances for a number of years -- well over two, I seem to recall -- when I first ran into this. If everything on a car works, is deemed reliable, and safe, then what is the deal?

I saw the requirements, myself -- a headlamp cannot be cracked. But I kid you not, it has been like this for years, and works perfectly. Even if it blew, wouldn't you get a ticket then for having a light out? That seems more fair to me than not passing the vehicle when everything works, including the cracked headlamp. And if it blew, and you got no ticket, it would not pass inspection the next year, so you would have to replace it.

I may be just ranting, I admit, but my question/concern/ire seems legitimate to me. It isn't like I would be getting away with anything because eventually, like anything on the vehicle, I'd have to address it. Why am I being forced to spend this kind of money for the privilege of driving here, and in other states where auto inspections are required? If auto inspections are such a good idea, and in theory, I agree with the whole deal, why isn't it mandated nationwide?
I just had my car inspected, I think it is now $30.00. The inspectors receive compensation for their services, I forget how much. A good chunk of the fee is for emissions inspections. Also, if you get your car inspected in March, and the sticker says January.. your new sticker will also say January.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Default Still aarrgghh

Yeah, I know all of that, weluv, and I appreciate the response.

I have no problem with any of the inspection deal other than the fact this cracked headlamp works. What is the big deal then, if the intent is to make sure cars are safe on our roads? Mine is.

I suppose this is a lose-lose-lose deal, but it's the principle of the thing. I hear myself say that and recall some old expression of my father's about 'principle?'

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
There are a lot of things states do that are not nationwide rules. In Virginia they also have an annual vehicle and emission inspeciton and you often had to wait a long time since not all stations did the emissions inspection and it was done the old way, where they shove the tube up your exhaust pipe (which takes at least 20 minutes just for that). I have got my NC inspection twice now on both our cars and it's been quick and easy compared to what I had to put up with in VA.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know all of that, weluv, and I appreciate the response.

I have no problem with any of the inspection deal other than the fact this cracked headlamp works. What is the big deal then, if the intent is to make sure cars are safe on our roads? Mine is.

I suppose this is a lose-lose-lose deal, but it's the principle of the thing. I hear myself say that and recall some old expression of my father's about 'principle?'
I don't know.. I guess there has to be a standard... maybe somebody else can offer some insite.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
You run more than getting a ticket - wait too long and you'll get a letter from the state and possibly a fine....
Yep, automated system, your ticket is mailed, the fine? $250.00

Now tell me the state vehicle inspection is not about revenue for the state

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Automated, and fines sent out? We're talking about the little state inspection sticker that gets pasted on the left-hand side of the front windshield? Wow, how is it I never got a ticket the two years I was out-of-inspection, then? Is this something relatively new?

Like you, hubby calls this a hidden tax, generating more revenue for the State than actually insuring safe cars are on the roads here.

And as paranoid as I get with all of this technology, can they find me now via my griping here? Sheesh.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Automated, and fines sent out? We're talking about the little state inspection sticker that gets pasted on the left-hand side of the front windshield? Wow, how is it I never got a ticket the two years I was out-of-inspection, then? Is this something relatively new?

Like you, hubby calls this a hidden tax, generating more revenue for the State than actually insuring safe cars are on the roads here.

And as paranoid as I get with all of this technology, can they find me now via my griping here? Sheesh.
How long ago was this? About 5 years ago, I got a letter saying my car had not been inspected, pretty much saying I better do it or else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina