Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
NCHomeFinder,that was a site for a LAW FIRM???? I bet there are more dog bites by dogs under 25lbs, just never reported. I dont care what breed of dog it is,it all comes down to the owner and how that pet is raised.....just like kids.
Okay, okay, it was just a convenient LIST OF DOGS. Don't sue me!
Here's a link to a story by the American Kennel Club (and links to THEIR lawyers who are fighting the practice. Now I've covered both sides, I guess! )
http://www.akc.org/insurance/homeowners_inscenter.cfm

Keep in mind it the insurance laws do vary by state, since homeowner's insurance is state regulated. Some states don't allow breed specific legislation, but the way each state interprets that law may be vastly different.

For me, personally, as a landlord, it's not worth the liability, insurance or not. Legally, I don't have to allow potentially dangerous dogs on my property when I have no control over how they are being treated. If I was the one raising the dog it would be different, and I believe anyone has the right to own one, but I have no control over how my TENANTS raise their dogs, and I'm not going to accept that risk.

I think, for the OP, this is just information so they understand there is potential difficulty renting a place in that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 12:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
NCHomeFinder,that was a site for a LAW FIRM???? I bet there are more dog bites by dogs under 25lbs, just never reported. I dont care what breed of dog it is,it all comes down to the owner and how that pet is raised.....just like kids.
I agree with you regarding small dogs. We never hear about those attacks (and it happens) but we DO hear about large dog attacks (I have a malamute/shepard mix and an akita/malamute mix). Case in point my neighbor's poodle had to be put down because it kept on attacking people (the neighbor didn't believe in restraining their dog - how stupid). This stupid dog even tried to attack me once while i was walking my two.

This link is to the insurance information institute website: http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/dogbite/

and this:

http://www.iii.org/individuals/homei...biteliability/

Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Charlotte, Asheville, and Chapel Hill would be good choices.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
WOW!.. some people can be so ignorant! Haha! .. My husband and I have two american pit bull terriers and it is so funny when we hear people ask stupid questions like "Why would you want to endanger the other people, children especially, in an apartment complex with a pit bull?"... Umm.. If you look at all of the tests that are donr every year, the statistics and the FACTS mabey you wouldnt sound so ignorant! ANY dog can be mean! It is how they are raised and trained. "Pit bulls" were never bred to be human agressive and they are one of the most tolerant breeds! They ALWAYS test WAY above MOST popular family breeds in temprament testing! If properly trained and socalized, they are the perfect breed to handle the rough and tumble play that children can dish out!.. Most domestic abuse in the US is caused by men, does that make all men mean? NO! So then why would all "pit bulls" be mean because of a few owners makeing their dogs bad?! Not to mention there are 25+ breeds that are commonly mistaken for the 3 breeds that people call "pit bulls." It is readily acknowledged by anyone familiar with handling a variety of dogs and mix breeds (animal control officers, veterinarians, shelter workers, etc.) that accurate identification of a dogs breed or mix is virtually impossible without registration papers or a pedigree at hand. Considering how rarely an animal control officer (ACO) catches a dog wearing tags, how often do you think an ACO lassos a stray dog that happens to have its pedigree papers? Alot of the time the law will "helpfully" descirbe what a "pit bull" looks like, needless to say alot of dogs have a large head, wide chest and shot fur (Like labs..), now you are up to your neck in "pit bulls." Funny thing, genetics. It causes dogs to come in all shapes and sizes and colors - especially the mixed breeds.... So why do we hear so many negative "pit bull" stories in the Media if they arent true? There are a few things that contribute to the negative stories on the news. As often the case, negative stories always seem to get National coverage, where the positive stories only make the local news. The Media is not always very responsible with their stories! I have seen news reports of a dog attack by another breed and, yet the media had a picture of a pit bull on the TV while reporting this story. I’ve read many stories where the reporter obviously hadn’t done any research, when I asked about their statistics they choose not to reply... You shouldnt believe all of the crap you hear on tv! lol!

Any back to the original question.. As far as picking a city in NC to live.. I have lived in Greensboro and when I lived there I spent ALOT of time in Raleigh. Greensboro was nice, I really liked it there but Raleigh is a collage town so there is alot of "night life" there! lol.. Charlotte also has an okay night life. Its a city so like in most citys there is normally stuff to do. Idk, NC is pretty nice, my sister and her husband live in Charlotte right now but they are moving back to FL. Its just really different than what we were use to so I moved back to Jacksonville FL and my sister is moving back to Jacksonville FL. But its not a bad place to live, I liked it when I was there. Its just different, like anytime you move to a new state it takes some getting use to. But from my experiance I would suggest Greensboro, Releigh or Charlotte. Good luck in you move!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Yeh, I agree that Asheville and Chapel Hill are nice also.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:19 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Other "insurance risk" dogs include rottweilers, chows, doberman pinschers, German shepherds, huskies, Akitas, Boxers, Great Danes, among others. Here's an article:
http://www.dogbitelegalcenter.com/re...mmon-dogs.html
I second the landlord motion of not allowing these dogs on my property. The liability is too great.
I have a rottweiler and had problems finding a place to rent when I moved to Maryland, luckily a guy took a chance on us and allowed us to rent. He said we were the best renters he has EVER had. Just because you have this breed of dog does not mean it is aggressive. Besides that is what renters insurance is for.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM

108 posts, read 383,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Why would you want to endanger the other people, children especially, in an apartment complex with a pit bull? I am thinking of the child in Durham who was killed by his neighbor's pit bull and the woman in San Francisco who was killed by another vicious dog. I can't imagine a landlord who would want to rent a small apartment to someone with a large aggressive dog. There would be far too much potential liability and damage.
Just because a dog is a pit bull does not mean it's dangerous or aggressive... anymore than just because you are african-american you are dangerous or aggressive!!! That kind of BSL (breed specific legislation) is every kind of stupid. Liability aside, if I had a property I would allow amost any dog if the owner could demonstrate it was trained and had it's CGC (canine good citizen) award. That's why the AKC initiated the award.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
It's not the breed, it's how you bring the dog up. I know many pitbulls that are very friendly.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Pitbullmommie,
What type of nightlife is in Raleigh? Do they have any good clubs or bars? What type of music do they play? What type of people go there? Why did you move back to FL?

Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 PM

100 posts, read 420,601 times
[I][quote=garth;188298]Being a Landlord, I know that some insurance companies have established policies regarding certain breeds of dogs that they consider agressive. It includes the pitbull, whether or not you consider your particular dog agressive. The company will not write a policy if the property houses one of the breeds, or will not cover it if one of them is allowed into the property. That is an issue for the landlord.[

*** as an insurance UW myself, this is true, many will not take these dogs. I have a German Shep/Lab mix that many companies will not take either and I grew up w/ Rotts, which at one point had surpassed Pitts in the number of fatal attacks. I am a firm believer in its all how the owner raises the animal.

But, that said, I work w/ landlords and specifically do not allow these dogs for liability purposes. If you have this type of dog, some companies will allow signed waivers. Good luck. I am moving to NC myself and I wont be renting due to the amount and type of dogs I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina