Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:55 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Whether or not legislation is needed to prevent this sort of thing, I don't think so. But is it asking too much to be a decent human being (meaning the people yelling at McCrory) ?

I also don't think I need to (but will anyways) mention if the person was not McCrory but someone else or happened to be a favorite of the liberal side and was being harassed as they dared to walk down a street. I don't think anyone would start a thread to celebrate the harassment of a private citizen just because you disagreed with their views.
There's an interesting dichotomy emerging over the past few months and seemingly reaching a crescendo this past week with the inauguration of President Trump. I keep reading posts on social media by people with conservative values challenging Liberals to just accept things and give the conservative movement a chance to prove itself (or in this instance, to infer that Liberal's wouldn't like it if their leadership was verbally harassed). The Conservatives were vicious during the entirety of President Obama's time in office and took to labeling the opposition with childish names. There was so much hateful bile and inaccurate accusations flying around that it seemed satirical, if not surreal.

I don't much care for any of it. But if you sling mud, mud is certainly going to be slung back your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
There's an interesting dichotomy emerging over the past few months and seemingly reaching a crescendo this past week with the inauguration of President Trump. I keep reading posts on social media by people with conservative values challenging Liberals to just accept things and give the conservative movement a chance to prove itself (or in this instance, to infer that Liberal's wouldn't like it if their leadership was verbally harassed). The Conservatives were vicious during the entirety of President Obama's time in office and took to labeling the opposition with childish names. There was so much hateful bile and inaccurate accusations flying around that it seemed satirical, if not surreal.

I don't much care for any of it. But if you sling mud, mud is certainly going to be slung back your way.
And the new President is/was the leader of the pack. Shoe is on the other foot and Lawd forbid anyone challenge his background, taxes, ethics, etc. In about 2 months I hope former President Obama makes unsubstantiated charges that Trump is a Russian spy and he can prove it...similar to the "birther" movement. Trump is the Father of Fake News....karma.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Before this thread gets out of hand, mind the original topic and REFRAIN from any attempt to deviate from anything that absolutely has nothing to do with the original topic.

Attempts including prior hijacks are infraction worthy.

Civilly have a discussion about the original topic and politely discuss on each other opinion

Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Whether or not legislation is needed to prevent this sort of thing, I don't think so. But is it asking too much to be a decent human being (meaning the people yelling at McCrory) ?

I also don't think I need to (but will anyways) mention if the person was not McCrory but someone else or happened to be a favorite of the liberal side and was being harassed as they dared to walk down a street. I don't think anyone would start a thread to celebrate the harassment of a private citizen just because you disagreed with their views.
I agree a new law seems unnessassary. If things get too out of hand, aren't there already laws that deal with assault/intimidation/disorderly conduct, etc. I know that's a fine line with the first amendment, but the additional law seems unnecessary to address something that current laws can already address if protests cross a line.

What really resonates with me is when I see that kind of display with people shouting their message in such an aggressive way, regardless of what it is or whether I agree with it or not, it's really a turnoff and I end up just tuning it out. It detracts from their message and credibility.
After watching the video, I have to give Pat McCrory credit for keeping his cool as well as he did.

What we need more of when dealing with politically and emotionally sensitive topics is for people to truly listen to the other's points of view. I wish that would happen, and had happened, more (and this is especially true of the people who we elect to legislate and administer our laws who need to set a higher standard in dialogue rather than set an example of what not to do). The video linked below shows a good example of this, with people at least trying to be compassionate towards other beliefs that seemingly don't align with their own. At least it's a start:
It's a relevant example, I think, since it deals with the topic that McCrory is getting shouted down for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXYcNwieiFI

Shouting people down isn't going to help the targets of this behavior be more open minded to a message, and no surprise... it's likely going to have the opposite effect. That's the reality of human nature regardless of what the message may be. And I would say the same thing if the people doing the shouting and the person being shouted at had completely opposite views than what occurred with McCrory.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-24-2017 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree a new law seems unnessassary. If things get too out of hand, aren't there already laws that deal with assault/intimidation/disorderly conduct, etc. I know that's a fine line with the first amendment, but the additional law seems unnecessary to address something that current laws can already address if protests cross a line.

What really resonates with me is when I see that kind of display with people shouting their message in such an aggressive way, regardless of what it is or whether I agree with it or not, it's really a turnoff and I end up just tuning it out. It detracts from their message and credibility.
After watching the video, I have to give Pat McCrory credit for keeping his cool as well as he did.

What we need more of when dealing with politically and emotionally sensitive topics is for people to truly listen to the other's points of view. I wish that would happen, and had happened, more (and this is especially true of the people who we elect to legislate and administer our laws who need to set a higher standard in dialogue rather than set an example of what not to do). The video linked below shows a good example of this, with people at least trying to be compassionate towards other beliefs that seemingly don't align with their own. At least it's a start:
It's a relevant example, I think, since it deals with the topic that McCrory is getting shouted down for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXYcNwieiFI

Shouting people down isn't going to help the targets of this behavior be more open minded to a message, and no surprise... it's likely going to have the opposite effect. That's the reality of human nature regardless of what the message may be. And I would say the same thing if the people doing the shouting and the person being shouted at had completely opposite views than what occurred with McCrory.
Keeping his cool? His arrogant behind has been recently humbled, the same elite snob who offered people cookies in a belittling gesture as a sitting Governor. He needs to fade away quietly into the good night asap. I applaud those people that kept their cool about those damn cookies, that really irked me and I lost a lot of respect for him...classless, just like that mob of clowns in his face.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
North Carolina Republican proposes legislation that would ban people from yelling at lawmakers

North Carolina Republican proposes legislation that would ban people from yelling at lawmakers - Salon.com

There's a stench surrounding every aspect of this GA.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:13 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
North Carolina Republican proposes legislation that would ban people from yelling at lawmakers

North Carolina Republican proposes legislation that would ban people from yelling at lawmakers - Salon.com

I smell a lawsuit incoming...

Old 01-25-2017, 07:02 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

Now the right wants their safe space that they've been criticizing the left about, LOL.

From the article:

Quote:
Sen. Dan Bishop of Charlotte told a Raleigh newspaper he plans on introducing legislation that would “make it a crime to threaten, intimidate, or retaliate against a present or former North Carolina official in the course of, on account of, the performance of his or her duties.”
So how exactly would this have 'protected' Project Pat? What "duties" does a former state official have? How does attending an inauguration count as a "duty" for a former state politician?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Angry spin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
"Former Governor of NC Accosted By Violent Homosexuals"!! the headlines from Fox News!

Yeah, McCrory's life was in real danger there in D.C....
I check into Fox regularly to see what's going on there.
They are really good about putting a right wing political spin on EVERYTHING!
And while visiting some relatives in the past, my family had the audacity to say that the old Fox News byline of "fair and balanced" was accurate and that they were the only major news source to be trusted as providing no spin.
An example of the Fox spin can be seen this morning on their site where they refer to Dan Rather as "Disgraced newsman...".
Funny how that only works one way as I recall a story they had on former NYTimes reporter Judith Miller who got busted & sacked after it was found she had done dishonest reporting on WMD's, etc. during the Bush years. Nevertheless, no mention was made by Fox at that time that she was "disgraced".
As for newspaper media in N.C., the Charlotte Observer & other major papers are to be commended for their reporting on the upheaval in that state during the McCrory governorship years.
Largely due to that reporting, the story got picked up on a national basis where the controversial legislature & it's recent attempts to limit new Governor Cooper's power has made folks elsewhere realize how the state government of North Carolina is being run like a banana republic.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:00 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Senator Dan Bishop plans to introduce legislation to make it a crime to threaten, intimidate, or retaliate against a present or former North Carolina official in the course of, or on account of, the performance of his or her duties.

Bishop
Yay for "small-government" conservatives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina