Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 06:35 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning a married life and plan to find a reasonably priced house in or around Charlotte/Hickory/Monroe/Statesville/northern SC. I want to be close enough to Charlotte in case we needed to go there every week. A starter house would be good, something under 100k. We don't care for a yard or new construction. School system isn't important but we will live in this house for a few years and probably have a child. We aren't particular with ethnic diversity or non-diversity. My income is between 30-50k online based work. We don't like trailers but don't like high mortgages either. I have bad credit but she has decent credit and I been saving every month. Where should we look into buying a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
search sites home sites in the prospective city, feel free come back to this forum about neighborhood opinions and this site has city subforums where you may reach an audience that has more knowledge of that area.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
That's a challenging price point anywhere close to Charlotte. You should rule out Charotte itself, and even if you could find something at that price, it would likely not be in a good location. However, in some of the other communities you mentioned, you might find a small, older home or a townhome under 100K. It wouldn't be a large home and would probably need some cosmetic work, and probably among other homes that also need cosmetic work, but it could be doable if your expectations are reasonable.

I would also suggest just checking out a website like zillow.com to give you an idea of what 100k would buy you in any of these areas. Also, once you have an idea of what kind of place you can reasonably afford at that budget, it would be worth your while to scout around the area and see what area feels most comfortable and you'd like to be convenient to, since the places you mention are all over the area.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:30 AM

146 posts, read 139,389 times
Hickory is an hour from Charlotte and has homes in your price range, although they would be very small.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
search sites home sites in the prospective city, feel free come back to this forum about neighborhood opinions and this site has city subforums where you may reach an audience that has more knowledge of that area.
Thanks. Well Hickory is a place I'm familiar with, use to work there and I like how it's between fam and Charlotte. I will probably check real estate around there in Catawba county. For sites I know of remax.com and realtor.com .

Old 01-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's a challenging price point anywhere close to Charlotte. You should rule out Charotte itself, and even if you could find something at that price, it would likely not be in a good location. However, in some of the other communities you mentioned, you might find a small, older home or a townhome under 100K. It wouldn't be a large home and would probably need some cosmetic work, and probably among other homes that also need cosmetic work, but it could be doable if your expectations are reasonable.

I would also suggest just checking out a website like zillow.com to give you an idea of what 100k would buy you in any of these areas. Also, once you have an idea of what kind of place you can reasonably afford at that budget, it would be worth your while to scout around the area and see what area feels most comfortable and you'd like to be convenient to, since the places you mention are all over the area.
I'm not very concerned with how good the location is. I'm use to driving out a few miles as I currently live deep in the mountains. I value streets without trash or druggies roaming around but I don't mind blue collar neighborhoods that have seen their best days. Thanks for the zillow suggestion.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
Hickory is an hour from Charlotte and has homes in your price range, although they would be very small.
To me 1000 sq ft is good. Does 321 get backed up like 85?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:11 PM

146 posts, read 139,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
The part that goes through Hickory can be heavier traffic at times, and has stoplights, but I wouldn't call it backed up. Nothing at all like 85. The section south of Hickory to I-85 in Gastonia is always very clear.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
If you go southbound on 321 during rush hour you'll have half a mile to a mile back up approaching 85 just north of Gastonia.

I would suggest that you look at Hickory, Dallas, Kings Mountain, & Grover. Grover is just south of Kings Mountain, on the SC line.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:01 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
I'm not very concerned with how good the location is. I'm use to driving out a few miles as I currently live deep in the mountains. I value streets without trash or druggies roaming around but I don't mind blue collar neighborhoods that have seen their best days. Thanks for the zillow suggestion.
Since you didn't list it, I'm not sure if this is the direction you'd be interested in, so if it's not, please disregard, but if you go northeast of Charlotte, some areas in Kannapolis, Landis, and China Grove may also fit your what you're looking for. They are close to Charlotte (a half hour drive gets you to quite a bit of Charlotte, except during the busiest traffic times), and even closer to Concord, which is getting more and more amenities as time passes.

Maybe someone who lives in those areas could chime in more specifically about the specific areas/neighborhoods to look at or avoid if you're interested, but I do know that in the communities in general they have a lot of blue collar character and history, and there may be some decent possibilities there for someone with a 100K budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina