Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times

Advertisements

Curious what people think will be the timeline, as I remember many thinking as soon as Cooper took office, HB2 would be gone. Of course I knew that would not happen, but many disagreed with me on that.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:09 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Nobody who knows anything about civics would think that HB 2 could be removed **POOF** as soon as Cooper was elected.

People who think that completely fail to realize that the Governor has no control of state laws. It's up to the Legislature to pass and repeal laws. Cooper is a Democrat. The NC Legislature has a super-majority of Republicans which means they are veto-proof... have enough votes within their party to override any governor's veto. HB2 ain't going anywhere unless the Republican legislators decide they want to do something about it... OR unless it's overturned in the courts.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Nobody who knows anything about civics would think that HB 2 could be removed **POOF** as soon as Cooper was elected.

People who think that completely fail to realize that the Governor has no control of state laws. It's up to the Legislature to pass and repeal laws. Cooper is a Democrat. The NC Legislature has a super-majority of Republicans which means they are veto-proof... have enough votes within their party to override any governor's veto. HB2 ain't going anywhere unless the Republican legislators decide they want to do something about it... OR unless it's overturned in the courts.
Agreed. I tried to tell people that, but they would not have any of it.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post

Unfortunately, there are lots of people who know nothing about civics. And given recent state history, my guess is if HB2 goes away, it will take the courts to do it.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
Agreed. I tried to tell people that, but they would not have any of it.
Really?

They must also live in on FL then, because everyone in NC knows they GOP has this state sewn up with favorable districting and will control legislature. Electing Cooper was symbolic. It shows the world that the majority of North Carolinians oppose the hateful ideology behind HB2.

Last edited by Native_Son; 02-01-2017 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Really?

They must also live in on FL then, because everyone in NC knows they GOP has this state sewn up with favorable districting and will control legislature. Electing Cooper was symbolic. It shows the world that the majority of North Carolinians oppose the hateful ideology behind HB2.
No, they live in NC.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Then they spent too much time in FL and the sun has cooked their brain.

Because everyone with a lick of sense knows the info I posted earlier.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:11 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Then they spent too much time in FL and the sun has cooked their brain.

Because everyone with a lick of sense knows the info I posted earlier.

Of course, these are the people who voted for the Pubs.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Is this just an "I told you so thread"? I'm confused as to what it is trying to accomplish.

While the Governor can't "executive order" his way to power, he does now have an ally in his replacement Attorney General, who's also a Democrat. That one-two punch doesn't make him powerless but it doesn't make him all powerful either.

Let's see what comes of new elections at the state level if that ever happens.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Is this just an "I told you so thread"? I'm confused as to what it is trying to accomplish.

While the Governor can't "executive order" his way to power, he does now have an ally in his replacement Attorney General, who's also a Democrat. That one-two punch doesn't make him powerless but it doesn't make him all powerful either.

Let's see what comes of new elections at the state level if that ever happens.
What is the plan and what is the timeline? The timeline question was asked in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
Curious what people think will be the timeline, as I remember many thinking as soon as Cooper took office, HB2 would be gone. Of course I knew that would not happen, but many disagreed with me on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina