Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 04:39 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
In today's world, it is extremely unlikely that the current governor and legislature will want to even try to work with each other. Remember Beveto?
Cooper is no Perdue... not even close.

But we're getting off topic here. This is not a thread about the Governor. Let's talk about the effect of HB2 and the fact that NC has lost, and will continue to lose, significant sporting events as well as other revenue generating and job creating activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
I just wonder, given how polarized politics are today, if staying with McCrory would have given more of a possibility of movement on HB2......post election. In today's world, it is extremely unlikely that the current governor and legislature will want to even try to work with each other. Remember Beveto?
I live in the same town as the Speaker of the House. It's his home town. I have yet to hear a single person here say that HB2 is a good idea. Not one person.

However, it seems that most people here think that McCrory had a hand in HB2. There was also something local that the natives think may have allowed the Speaker to let the crazies have their way in crafting it. You know what they say: All politics are local.

I don't know why you keep hammering away at your theory that we're stupid enough to think that Cooper could wave a magic wand & make HB2 go away. Governor Coal Ash needed to be gone for multiple reasons.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
I just wonder, given how polarized politics are today, if staying with McCrory would have given more of a possibility of movement on HB2......post election. In today's world, it is extremely unlikely that the current governor and legislature will want to even try to work with each other. Remember Beveto?
Perdue bit off more than she could chew and she knew it, which was a big reason she chose not to run for re-election, in which she probably would've lost. Cooper, on the other hand, already knew what he was in for when he took office and is a more seasoned politician that knows which strings to pull.

But, roadpony is right. This is getting off-topic.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,743 times
I strongly support HB2 and a law like that should be adopted by every state. I believe the NCAA is totally wrong.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I strongly support HB2 and a law like that should be adopted by every state. I believe the NCAA is totally wrong.
Mine to explain why you like something like this? Honestly curious, because I don't understand at all.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Given the current political climate in North Carolina, I doubt that repeal of HB2 is going to happen anytime soon. So we can expect to lose millions of dollars over the next few years. Money that might have been used to give teachers a raise or replace textbooks that are as old as the hills! Dumber students and smaller revenue streams will be the "hallmark achievement" of the current legislature! Businesses that might have decided to move to North Carolina may well decide Georgia or South Carolina may better suit their needs. How many sports events that will have highlighted North Carolina's local talent not happen?

But ...I guess if you vote stupid, you get stupid!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Good for you. Have you read it to know that it went way beyond bathrooms?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,950 times
The only way I see Phil Berger letting HB2 get a vote is: a) the NCAA prevents North Carolinians from watching college games on TV, thus affecting all towns and not the big ones, or b) whatever major businesses is that are located in the counties Berger represents end operations and move jobs out of state and cite HB2 as the reason. Otherwise, we're in a stalemate where once again the metropolitan areas of North Carolina, the ones generating a disproportionate amount of income for the state, are being penalized by gerrymandered suburban and rural areas that currently hold sway in the General Assembly. Oh joy.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
The only way I see Phil Berger letting HB2 get a vote is: a) the NCAA prevents North Carolinians from watching college games on TV, thus affecting all towns and not the big ones, or b) whatever major businesses is that are located in the counties Berger represents end operations and move jobs out of state and cite HB2 as the reason. Otherwise, we're in a stalemate where once again the metropolitan areas of North Carolina, the ones generating a disproportionate amount of income for the state, are being penalized by gerrymandered suburban and rural areas that currently hold sway in the General Assembly. Oh joy.
The problem with the Republican-dominated legislative members who control these rural areas, is that they will never "discover" that they were in the running to get businesses to relocate there in the first place! Some business in Ohio looking to relocate, will never have a "discussion" with a representative from rural NC. They'll simply conclude in their own conference room that Podunkville NC doesn't have the "quality of life" (good schools, things to do, local amenities) that would warrant contacting anyone in Podunkville NC in regards to a move.

What the cities may have to do is elect people who will limit the powers of the state to general state issues and prohibit the state from interfering in specific local matters and ordinances. This would start to scale back the "overreach" of the state in controlling local cities and towns. There is overwhelming hypocrisy of the NC Legislature criticizing the Federal Gubmint for being too heavy-handed, while they themselves handcuff the cities' attempts to come up with local laws that the citizens who actually live there, support! It's apparent that the old axiom "all politics are local" doesn't apply in North Carolina!

Many companies looking to move might figure if HB2 can't be fixed, what other things may be wrong with North Carolina besides and then look elsewhere to relocate!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 02-07-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 11:05 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
NC's U-6 rate is better than its south bordering states, so I am not sure how much HB2 is hurting it compared to those states. While I think the courts will eventually resolve the issues, it would be best if Cooper would propose a "compromise" between what each side wants. Time will tell and I am not holding my breath on either side having any interest in working with the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina