Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM

926 posts, read 827,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
You have got to be kidding me: Greensboro only slightly better hahahaha. Yeah right Greensboro and the Triad in general are light years better than Fayettenam.
Well statistically Fayetteville is at least.
12.82 crimes on average occur in Fayetteville compared to Greensboro's 11.41. Greensboro has slightly lower crime, but both cities have high crime compared both state and national.
As far as schools go, According to Greatschools, Fayetteville ranks 6/10. Greensboro's rating is also 6/10. Both cities have similar schools.
Salaries
According to Siri, Fayetteville average salary is 44800. That is compared to Greensboro average salary of 41600.
Unemployment
Greensboro current unemployment rate is 4.7% compared to Fayetteville unemployment rate of 5.8%
Cost of living
According to Siri, Fayetteville average house price is $142,000 compared to Greensboro average house price of $137,000. With prices and square footage about the same you can assume
The neighborhoods are similar. According to EyeOnHousing, 1,425 new houses were constructed in Fayetteville in the year 2016. Couldn't find anything information on Greensboro for that.
Finance careers
According to United States bureau of labor statistics , Fayetteville finance jobs average $71,860 on a 2.8% rise compared to Greensboro average $65,070 at a 3.1% rise

Believe I am not a fanboy of either city but outside of living in both cities, statistics exist that can show they are indeed similar.

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2020 at 01:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 03:34 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
I have no bone to pick with Fayetteville, but..... stats have nothing to do with subjective quality of life. And has been stated, Greensboro is light years ahead (in most people's opinions) of Fayetteville when it comes to shopping, restaurants, education (k-12 and higher ed), culture, and so many things that make a place enjoyable to live. If a person had a choice of similar jobs with similar pay in both cities, I think it would be a no-brainer to pick Greensboro.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
I would not call Greensboro "light years" ahead of Fayetteville. Better, yes. "Light years"? Negative...

Greensboro has better urban neighborhoods/infrastructure, a more visible creative class, and a slightly better economy. Those things are good enough to call it better than Fayetteville, but I'm always amused to hear the Greensboro boosting. Greensboro is very small, suburban, and there is nothing particularly special to point out about Greensboro when compared to similarly sized cities like Syracuse, Winston-Salem, Little Rock, Charleston, Columbia, etc...and it can easily be argued Greensboro underperforms compared to similarly sized cities...

Greensboro is 'okay'. It's not great, I wouldn't call it anywhere near the type of city that's "light years" ahead of Fayetteville. It's twice the size of Fayetteville, it ought to be better. There is credence to the notion that it's only a larger Fayetteville...

The gap between Greensboro and Raleigh is just as late, if not larger, than the gap between Greensboro and Fayetteville...

Old 02-12-2017, 09:52 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,864,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
We have another name for that city: Fatalville
Heh, it was still called Fayettenam while I was growing up there.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I would agree that Charlotte is "miles better" than Fayetteville even though I almost got car jacked in uptown Charlotte last time I was there. Though Greensboro, No. Greensboro is only SLIGHTLY better than Fayetteville. I lived there for 23 years. I moved to Fayetteville area in late 2016, I and a friend who moved to Fayetteville from Greensboro wouldn't move back, but I am sure there is an equal amount of vice versa. I lived right outside Downtown Gate.
I respect your opinion but I must disagree. Greensboro is a much better place to live. Fayetteville has always struck me as a city that few people choose to live in, they do so because they have to. I am also confident that if you asked every North Carolinian which of the two they would prefer to live in, Greensboro would easily win and few would even hesitate to say so.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I respect your opinion but I must disagree. Greensboro is a much better place to live. Fayetteville has always struck me as a city that few people choose to live in, they do so because they have to. I am also confident that if you asked every North Carolinian which of the two they would prefer to live in, Greensboro would easily win and few would even hesitate to say so.
What makes Greensboro a much better place to live?

--I am a parent now but I also realize you can find great and poor schools almost anywhere--New York has some of the best and worst public schools in the nation, by reputation. Neither Greensboro nor Fayetteville are creme de la creme of public education, yet a good education can be given in both, so I wouldn't choose to live in either based off the schools...that's a neighborhood thing...
--for that matter, neither have elite university education either, so higher education decision would come down to which school is the best fit...
--I don't pick a city to live in based on crime statistics because in every place in America crime varies by neighborhood, and frankly, this isn't something Greensboro does a hell of a lot better than Fayetteville in...
--Greensboro does not have a much more sophisticated culture than Fayetteville. It's arts scene is larger, but still quite small; there is no considerable fine dining scene (count on your hands the spots that fit that descriptive in Greensboro); it does not have a diverse nightlife culture; it is not a wealthy city; typically the same brand of real estate is found in both; there is no elite shopping to be found in Greensboro; etc. Greensboro is more sophisticated than Fayetteville, but only marginally so...

You also must not be aware that there are plenty of people who live in Greensboro out of necessity. I have an acquaintance who works in the Athletic Department at UNCG and is from NJ, graduated from JCSU in Charlotte, and can't wait to leave Greensboro...

I've found that Greensboro carries a grandfathered appeal to a ton of native North Carolinians, I'd assume because there was a time that it was larger and more prominent than Raleigh. What makes Greensboro better is that same grandfathered appeal--it has a better, more centralized location than Fayetteville, and was always a larger city, so in that sense it has a few more of things in cultural amenities and activities. But downtown is a bore--Elm is only MAYBE two blocks of activity and nothing after that, not altogether different from Hay in Fayetteville, just taller buildings and a few more shops. Almost zero pedestrian activity otherwise, but hell there is no draw to downtown unless you want to recycle the same spots on that 1.5 block stretch...

I'm also sure the vast majority of people would choose Greensboro over Fayetteville. That preference doesnt make Greensboro "light years" better, which is what one poster said...Greensboro has a very high reputation within NC borders but I'd also bet few people would call it a better city than Syracuse, Little Rock, or Columbia, all cities in the same size class as Greensboro...

Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What makes Greensboro a much better place to live?
Quote:
Greensboro is, objectively, a much, much nicer place than F'ville. Statements to the contrary are laughable. G'bore has better neighborhoods, better schools, better real estate appreciation (F'ville has had negative appreciation in the past 5 years), more to do, better restaurants, a better downtown, better job market, etc., etc. Its not even close.
BC1960 pretty much nailed it but I'll add; Better location. Better cultural events (big-name concerts still perform at the Greensboro Coliseum), better sports options (ACC and NCAA tournaments ring a bell? Minor-league baseball). There's an international airport in the area. More job opportunities.

Quote:
I am a parent now but I also realize you can find great and poor schools almost anywhere--New York has some of the best and worst public schools in the nation, by reputation. Neither Greensboro nor Fayetteville are creme de la creme of public education, yet a good education can be given in both, so I wouldn't choose to live in either based off the schools...that's a neighborhood thing...
I have no kids but if I were looking at schools, I would feel a lot better if my child were attending a Guilford County school than a Cumberland County one.

Quote:
for that matter, neither have elite university education either
Maybe not, but Greensboro has more university options and better ones at that, plus Wake Forest U is about 25 minutes away. There's also High Point University which is in the same county. No disrespect to Fayetteville State, but it's not one of our states better public universities and this state has plenty of them.

Quote:
I don't pick a city to live in based on crime statistics because in every place in America crime varies by neighborhood, and frankly, this isn't something Greensboro does a hell of a lot better than Fayetteville in.
Experiences may vary, but I would feel a lot safer walking the streets or going for a jog in Greensboro. I also would be less inclined to live in a gated community in Greensboro.

Quote:
You also must not be aware that there are plenty of people who live in Greensboro out of necessity. I have an acquaintance who works in the Athletic Department at UNCG and is from NJ, graduated from JCSU in Charlotte, and can't wait to leave Greensboro...
And yet many of these people who wish to leave Greensboro likely have a better quality of life and more employment opportunities in Greensboro than they would in Fayetteville. I'd much rather start out and/or raise a family in Greensboro than Fayetteville.

Quote:
But downtown is a bore--Elm is only MAYBE two blocks of activity and nothing after that, not altogether different from Hay in Fayetteville, just taller buildings and a few more shops. Almost zero pedestrian activity otherwise, but hell there is no draw to downtown unless you want to recycle the same spots on that 1.5 block stretch...
Experienced both. Downtown Greensboro is a lot better than Fayetteville. Again, experiences may vary.

Quote:
I'm also sure the vast majority of people would choose Greensboro over Fayetteville. That preference doesnt make Greensboro "light years" better,
Maybe not "light years", but the gap between the two is noticeable. Greensboro is more on par with Charlotte and Raleigh than it would be with Fayetteville.

I'll give Fayetteville this. They have a professional Hockey team, which is something Greensboro lacks. But that still wouldn't be enough reason for me to want to live there.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
BC1960 pretty much nailed it but I'll add; Better location. Better cultural events (big-name concerts still perform at the Greensboro Coliseum), better sports options (ACC and NCAA tournaments ring a bell? Minor-league baseball). There's an international airport in the area. More job opportunities.

I have no kids but if I were looking at schools, I would feel a lot better if my child were attending a Guilford County school than a Cumberland County one.

Maybe not, but Greensboro has more university options and better ones at that, plus Wake Forest U is about 25 minutes away. There's also High Point University which is in the same county. No disrespect to Fayetteville State, but it's not one of our states better public universities and this state has plenty of them.

Experiences may vary, but I would feel a lot safer walking the streets or going for a jog in Greensboro. I also would be less inclined to live in a gated community in Greensboro.

And yet many of these people who wish to leave Greensboro likely have a better quality of life and more employment opportunities in Greensboro than they would in Fayetteville. I'd much rather start out and/or raise a family in Greensboro than Fayetteville.

Experienced both. Downtown Greensboro is a lot better than Fayetteville. Again, experiences may vary.

Maybe not "light years", but the gap between the two is noticeable. Greensboro is more on par with Charlotte and Raleigh than it would be with Fayetteville.

I'll give Fayetteville this. They have a professional Hockey team, which is something Greensboro lacks. But that still wouldn't be enough reason for me to want to live there.
Experiences do vary, and I don't intend to undermine yours!

I haven't had any bad experiences in Greensboro. It is a better and stronger city than Fayetteville--it's twice the size of Fayetteville and in a centralized location. When I visit places I tend to grade them on how they compare to similarly sized cities, so by default Fayetteville is not going to stack up to Greensboro. I used to live near Syracuse, I lived in Little Rock, I've been to Columbia many times, and I've been to Knoxville, all similarly-sized cities as Greensboro. All pretty much torch Greensboro, not in every single category of course, but all are better cities than Greensboro, and most people would concur...

Listen, I'm definitely not a Fayetteville booster. It's easy to see why someone'd prefer Greensboro too it--and I agree there are many reasons to. I do. But the space between the cities is negligible. This pedestal Carolinians place Greensboro on is what I disagree with, is all. I've been to Greensboro 7 times just since last April. I do NOT get the hype....pretty enough city, decent attractions, but underwhelming to peer cities I've been to (and Fayetteville obviously isn't a peer)...

Old 02-13-2017, 03:45 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Experiences do vary, and I don't intend to undermine yours!

I haven't had any bad experiences in Greensboro. It is a better and stronger city than Fayetteville--it's twice the size of Fayetteville and in a centralized location. When I visit places I tend to grade them on how they compare to similarly sized cities, so by default Fayetteville is not going to stack up to Greensboro. I used to live near Syracuse, I lived in Little Rock, I've been to Columbia many times, and I've been to Knoxville, all similarly-sized cities as Greensboro. All pretty much torch Greensboro, not in every single category of course, but all are better cities than Greensboro, and most people would concur...

Listen, I'm definitely not a Fayetteville booster. It's easy to see why someone'd prefer Greensboro too it--and I agree there are many reasons to. I do. But the space between the cities is negligible. This pedestal Carolinians place Greensboro on is what I disagree with, is all. I've been to Greensboro 7 times just since last April. I do NOT get the hype....pretty enough city, decent attractions, but underwhelming to peer cities I've been to (and Fayetteville obviously isn't a peer)...
You basically just stated what the other poster was saying. Objectionable much? Let's be real Fayettenam is a dump.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
You basically just stated what the other poster was saying. Objectionable much? Let's be real Fayettenam is a dump.
Actually, I didn't state what he said. Let's be real again, was there a need to state the obvious that Greensboro is a better city than Fayetteville? It's twice the size of Fayetteville, the LEAST it should do is have a better quality of life/city ameniities...

My objection was the statement and following agreements that Greensboro is "light years" ahead of Fayetteville. I mean, seriously, Greensboro? Greensboro has nothing going so much for it that it should be called light years ahead of any city over 350k. I gotta remember, you're one of those native Carolinians, Greensboro means a little more to you guys. I've been to many cities comparable to Greensboro, and trust me on this one--it's nice, but it's very average. It ain't that impressive...

The Fayetteville bashing on here gone on way too long and reached a ridiculous level...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina