Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 AM

168 posts, read 150,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's friggin hot in the summer. I came from the Northeast and I agree with the cold, dark and suck the life out of you Northeast winters but outdoor summertime activities are not enjoyable here unless they are after sundown activities.
NC is golf central and that season is March-May and again Sept.-November. Rarely do people come to golf vacation in the middle of Summer.
Not a lot of jobs unless you want to live near, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro and all those cities are 2+ hr to the beach.

IMO NC is a great place to retire to but not so great for high paying jobs.
I knew the summers were hot but didn't realize they were like our winters here (can't friggin enjoy anything outside.)

Maybe NC or moving down that way is not for us. That's why I'm on here; to get the scoop from you guys living down there.

Honestly we love almost everything about New England except for the brutal winters and the liberals trying to run everyone's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
Two hours from the coast is a no go. As it is now we are about 50 minutes from the Maine coast. We'd just as soon stay where we are if it's not possible to find jobs on the coast down there.

What about Morehead City? We liked what we saw online of that area. No jobs there?
Morehead City's economy: "Morehead City's economy is based predominantly on a variety of ecotourism activities and a growing retirement community. The local economy is based further on the Port of Morehead City, light industry and manufacturing, land development, light commercial fishing, sport fishing, and other service-oriented businesses."

The median income in Morehead City is $28,000 per year for a household.... aka not a ton of high paying jobs or engineers.

The booming areas with job growth in North Carolina are all in the Piedmont (inland). The North Carolina coast is very undeveloped and mainly small little beach communities for retirees / people with a second home. Also, it is the most hurricane prone area of the country (a reason heavy industry is not located on those small islands - no heavy manufacturer wants their plant destroyed). The economy largely revolves around the military bases, fishing, and tourism. Perhaps you could find a job as a civilian contractor for a military base?

Again, check out Jacksonville, Florida. It is hot and humid, but so is coastal North Carolina. You will have pleasant and warmer winters than North Carolina and you can live at the beach. The city is smaller too than North Carolina's three major metros so you can live on the outskirts in a more rural area. Jacksonville has a solid economy too... much better than coastal North Carolina. Charleston, SC might be a good option as well.

If you are dead set on the beach AND a high paying job, North Carolina is probably not the place. Our high paying job centers are inland.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
I knew the summers were hot but didn't realize they were like our winters here (can't friggin enjoy anything outside.)

Maybe NC or moving down that way is not for us. That's why I'm on here; to get the scoop from you guys living down there.

Honestly we love almost everything about New England except for the brutal winters and the liberals trying to run everyone's lives.
Liberals also live in NC so maybe you are right.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Liberals also live in NC so maybe you are right.
Yeah, they're like cockroachres; they're everywhere.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
[quote=DDMP77;47178167]Yeah, they're like cockroachres; they're everywhere.[/QUOTE

Perhaps Alabama or Mississippi would be a better fit for you.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
I've heard that SC is more backwards and that there is a lot more crime there.
Quote:
South Carolina's too conservative for you, but New England's too liberal. Tough one to please, eh?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
South Carolina's too conservative for you, but New England's too liberal. Tough one to please, eh?
I guess so.

There are different kinds of conservatism. Being from NH my brand of conservatism is more about hating the federal government than thumping a bible which is what I think SC conservatism would be about.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
I guess so.

There are different kinds of conservatism. Being from NH my brand of conservatism is more about hating the federal government than thumping a bible which is what I think SC conservatism would be about.

That's what NC conservatism is about, too.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
I guess so.

If you decide to leave NH for anywhere in the South, you will find few libertarian types compared to where you are from. So you will have to either be ok being even a bigger minority as far as political views or not consider this part of the country. Most of the libertarians are going to live in the cities too, but you want a small town. The rural areas / small towns in this part of the country are very focused on church and Christian politics. If you don't go to church, it might be hard to make friends in some of the smaller towns.

Maybe the West Coast would be more your flavor? Like Oregon or Washington? Plenty of libertarians out there.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:01 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I don't think you are going to like coastal living here. I like the NC coast, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there F/T. Once you get outside of the major metros, you are going to be dealing with a different sort of conservatism that you'd like.

Have you thought about some other coastal areas of the northeast? Are you able to work remotely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina