U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,368 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to North Carolina for his job in Fayetteville. He will be working on base and I am a nurse. I am interested in working in one of the hospitals in the Raleigh or Durham area. I wasn't highly impressed with Fayetteville when we visited. Is there an area that is nice to live that is between Durham and Fayetteville? Or would you suggest we live in Durham and he commute to Fayetteville? How long would the commute be? Any advice would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM

4,898 posts, read 17,252,798 times
depending on where in durham and where in fayettville, it looks like the commute time is 1.5 hours each way!
maybe if you want to be "fair" and live in between, then clayton might be an option--or somewhere just south of Raleigh like garner...

Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM

69 posts, read 336,924 times
There is a large medical center (Wake Med) in eastern Raleigh. If you worked there, you could probably find a spot, near the 40-95 intersection, where you could each have a commute of 30 minutes or so, but would you want to live there? Benson is a small town in that area. I would choose living in the Triangle over Fayetteville, but I wouldn't want to drive back and forth every day just to be able to live in Durham or Raleigh. Good luck...

Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 AM

999 posts, read 4,372,173 times
I agree about the hospital in Fayetteville not being a great place...a couple of days there with my daughter and I demanded they transfer her to Duke!

Anyhow, if you were looking at the big hospitals, Duke in Durham and UNC Chapel Hil,l then maybe Fuquay-Varina would be a good starting point, just about in the middle, a somewhat longish commute at 40+ min each way, but I imagine that with nursing and working on base you work other than "typical" hours and can possibly avoid high traffic times which would ease things.
I remember driving thru the area on my way home to Fayetteville (I've since moved to Charlotte) from Duke one day (trying to avoid traffic on the highway) and it was a nice area!

Another thought, but I don't know how the hospital is, is to look at Pinehurst, there's a regional hospital there, here's a link: Moore Regional Hospital
That would allow you to live in the Pinehurst/So. Pines/Aberdeen area, also nice.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina