U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 AM

774 posts, read 1,316,764 times

Advertisements

You did not say whether you have talked to your neighbor about this incident. That would be my first step.
If you did not see him shooting AT your dog how do you know he was not just target practicing? My husband and I both have permits to carry and always have a gun on us. We also go outside and target practice A LOT!.. Luckily for us we live and a remote area of the Ozarks in Missouri and our only close neighbor is also into target practicing so we get along fine.
Good luck with the neighbor. It is always disturbing when you have a new neighbor move in and then things start changing from the peaceful ways you are use too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 PM

39 posts, read 119,959 times
anifani1 you may be right! This family has only lived there for a couple of months but my family did welcome them. He has randomly shot his shotgun even before copper moved here. I don't see our wild cottontail rabbits anymore come to think about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Lindsey_Mcfarren that is a horrible story. Especially after losing your dad. Was your cat ok?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM

No I haven't talked to him anymore, I'm afraid of him now.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,222,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynspets1 View Post
No I haven't talked to him anymore, I'm afraid of him now.
Well this is just HORRIBLE!!! I am concerned now that I think that perhaps he could be unstable or drinking. I mean, it does make you wonder. The behavior is so weird. Please be very careful. I don't mean to sound like a paranoid nutball!!!! But you know - anyone who shoots randomly like that. It is very troubling. I wish I had some good advice, other than taking some pictures of him if you can, while he is out shooting. I don't know if that would help but seems like at least you would have some evidence of the odd behavior.

I am soooo sorry.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM

769 posts, read 2,581,075 times
If he was shooting at your dog , why wasn't it injured - or was it?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 PM

505 posts, read 2,384,199 times
I think your jumping to conclusions. You have no proof he was shooting at your dog. That is probably why the cops did nothing about it. If you had seen the guy shoot at the dog, you could have done something.

If you live out in the country, he was probably just target shooting.

What makes me kind of mad is you acted like it must be something that just happens in NC. That is not true.

I will say that random people do shoot dogs though. It happend once when I was a kid. We heard a gun shot, and a dog came running across our yard. It died in our neighbors drive way. The cops could not do anything because nobody saw the guy do it. There has to be a witness!

I have also heard of people poisoning dogs with antifreeze. It happens in rural areas of NC all the time. I guess it is also possible in the city. But this happens everywhere, not just NC. Some people are just Moderator cut: removed !

Last edited by autumngal; 03-08-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 PM

Steve54 and Beffrey2. He didn't hurt the dog yet, but I think it was a warning. Beffrey2 I am new to NC and have always lived in the city. The reason I moved to the country was for my kids to have a better way of life. We are the kind of parents who have all of the kids in the neighborhood over for the swimming pool and food and drinks. We like listening to music, barbequing, and having our neighbors over. I just wanted to know if this was a common thing seeings I have only been here since August and I couldn't think of a better place to be. We love it here, our children have adjusted well. This is the first incident we have encountered and I was just wondering if it was common.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,986 times
My neighbor let their dog bark constantly. I asked, begged, pleaded, and bribed them to stop. Nothing worked. The cops wouldn't do anything and neither would anyone else that dealt with animals or noise. When the dog disappeared, they finally got the hint. Even though they got a new dog, they keep it inside now. We don't want trouble, and we don't want to harm your pets. But, if you won't be responsible for the actions of your pet, then get rid of it. If you don't, someone else will do it for you. After all, you may be surprised at how much cleaner and quieter your home is in addition to saving a ton on the cost of food and vet visits. This is by and far your fault. He's defending what should be his right to have peace and quiet in his home and yard. I applaud him and chastise you for not being more considerate. Shame on all of you for not being more understanding and polite. You have the right to keep a dog as a pet and we have the right not to hear them. If you really can't live without one, you can still be responsible and keep it quiet by putting a muzzle on it, a shock collar, or take full responsibility and have your vet de-bark it. It's a simple procedure that is no more invasive than getting it fixed.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,222,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfromyourstate4 View Post
My neighbor let their dog bark constantly. I asked, begged, pleaded, and bribed them to stop. Nothing worked. The cops wouldn't do anything and neither would anyone else that dealt with animals or noise. When the dog disappeared, they finally got the hint. Even though they got a new dog, they keep it inside now. We don't want trouble, and we don't want to harm your pets. But, if you won't be responsible for the actions of your pet, then get rid of it. If you don't, someone else will do it for you. After all, you may be surprised at how much cleaner and quieter your home is in addition to saving a ton on the cost of food and vet visits. This is by and far your fault. He's defending what should be his right to have peace and quiet in his home and yard. I applaud him and chastise you for not being more considerate. Shame on all of you for not being more understanding and polite. You have the right to keep a dog as a pet and we have the right not to hear them. If you really can't live without one, you can still be responsible and keep it quiet by putting a muzzle on it, a shock collar, or take full responsibility and have your vet de-bark it. It's a simple procedure that is no more invasive than getting it fixed.
Are you for real? Cause if you are, you need some serious help, bubba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina