Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 06:33 AM

121 posts, read 270,849 times

Advertisements

Moved here 2 years ago to a rural area near Mocksville. I love it here, but other than my immediate neighbors and hubby I have not made any friends. People seem to just stay in. People are friendly in stores and church but seem to have no intention on outside friendship. I am married, mid age, love to go on day trips, yard sales, gardening, and thrift stores. I tried Meet up, and did not seem to find anything interesting, since I am not into Zumba, or hiking and such. hope to strike up a friendship since I have no family here. thanks and I no longer live in RI I am now a country girl in NC and loving it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Have you tried volunteering?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricutie View Post
Moved here 2 years ago to a rural area near Mocksville. I love it here, but other than my immediate neighbors and hubby I have not made any friends. People seem to just stay in. People are friendly in stores and church but seem to have no intention on outside friendship. I am married, mid age, love to go on day trips, yard sales, gardening, and thrift stores. I tried Meet up, and did not seem to find anything interesting, since I am not into Zumba, or hiking and such. hope to strike up a friendship since I have no family here. thanks and I no longer live in RI I am now a country girl in NC and loving it
What made you move to such a rural area? We're also from RI (born and raised!) and moved to the Raleigh/Durham area 9 years ago. We really like it here! Initially, we joined Meet-up and met lots of other couples and it was sort of like dating. We moved to a 55+ neighborhood 3 years ago and have made great friends who I know will be in our lives forever (2 of the couples are from MA). Lots of New England transplants here. We have friends to watch Red Sox and Patriot games with.

Where are you from in RI? I'm from Warwick, hubby is from Newport and we lived in Garden City area for 20 years prior to our move here.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Small towns like Mocksville can be hard because people typically have deep ties to the area and there aren't many new people or transplants. People in small towns can have their social circle already, and while friendly, they don't necessarily need new friends. In some rural areas, people live out there specifically to be left alone and have privacy.

Perhaps you could volunteer with a church or get involved in a local club like Kiwanis?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 PM

we lived in warwick RI very nice place, just overpriced like all RI

Old 04-18-2017, 03:32 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
we lived in warwick RI very nice place, just overpriced like all RI
I'm also from Warwick and understand where you moved from. I guess I don't understand what made you choose Mocksville. There are so many transplants in the Triangle that I find it very easy to make friends.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 AM

I chose near Mocksville, due to more bang for your buck in land and home prices.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
I chose near Mocksville, due to more bang for your buck in land and home prices.
And less opportunities to meet people and make friends. Both sides of the same coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina