Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:17 AM

89 posts, read 417,225 times

Advertisements

I live in Raleigh and the humidity is AWFUL. I was born and raised in North Carolina and it still isn't something I've gotten used to. The humidity peaks in Aug-Sep at over 90%. I can walk from my front door to my car and my clothes are soaked. Something I do everyday in the hottest months is watch the news and see what "color" day it is. Red is when you should keep tabs on your older family members and eat lunch at your desk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
I live San Diego, CA.
I can't tell you all the people here that keep telling me I am crazy for moving to North Carolina this up coming year. "The humidity, the bugs"
Well I just spent this past summer, in 110-118 temperature, with hot winds, then we got into the autum, and the heat continued. My husband and I just hung up our Christmas lights outside with shorts and tanks tops. We were boiling, how crazy is that?? We have a thing called the "santa Anas" when the wind blows hard and hot, and nothing is dryer than that. Your skin becomes so dry that you have lotion everywhere you go, or else your skin cracks.
Bring on the humidity......

Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 PM

46 posts, read 117,868 times
We are moving to Louisburg next month from Huntington Beach....and yes, the humidity is a negative factor.....but.....it's offset by the quality of life.....in our humble opinion......and I'll just keep reminding myself of that next August...

Old 12-06-2006, 01:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I live San Diego, CA.
I can't tell you all the people here that keep telling me I am crazy for moving to North Carolina this up coming year. "The humidity, the bugs"
Well I just spent this past summer, in 110-118 temperature, with hot winds, then we got into the autum, and the heat continued. My husband and I just hung up our Christmas lights outside with shorts and tanks tops. We were boiling, how crazy is that?? We have a thing called the "santa Anas" when the wind blows hard and hot, and nothing is dryer than that. Your skin becomes so dry that you have lotion everywhere you go, or else your skin cracks.

The yearly average of humidity in the state is actually 65%. At the moment it is 38% Tell those people out in San Diego living in all those overpriced homes (if they even own a home since so many are priced out of reach for the average working guy) that they are the crazy ones for staying there, not you for coming here

Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
Loves Mountains;
Exactly. Believe me, this is not a spur of the moment decision. We have been planning this exodus for about six years now. My husband turns fifty this up coming year, so he will be able to retire from the UC system and we will move and he will try to continue employement in the UNC system. We have narrowed it down to Holly Springs, Clayton or Garner. After living in .18 acre lots, I need some room to stretch!!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:17 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I live San Diego, CA.
Come on down. I wouldn't want to live in an area where homes are out of most peoples ranges, and with no 4-season climate. I'm never leaving NC!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,329 times
We're considering a move to Greensboro from the west side of Michigan (Holland, right on Lake Michigan). I'm a humidity-hater and I hear Greensboro is bad...just hope that with it not being by the water, it's not as bad as y'all say...

Old 09-22-2009, 05:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum15350.png (broken link)

ok just be ready for a Greensboro August

Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,923 times
Great question. We are moving to NC soon and when we tell people they say: "Oh, but the humidity is so high." Well, I'm from Houston and we live in Dallas. When we were in NC it was the hottest day of the summer - 106 in Dallas - and 87 in NC and THEY were saying how hot it was.

I think it's all relative. Houston, Orlando, New Orleans, Missouri near the Mississippi - all just a whole lot more humid than NC.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:52 AM

10 posts, read 21,470 times
I am beginning to think humidity is relative to your conception of "hot". We moved down here from Mass 3 years ago and the first summer was over 100 degrees with high humidity. I thought I was going to die. The last two summers, have been humid but not quite as hot--mostly in the 90s which to me, is still extremely hot. On some mornings you walk outside and immediately you are drenched. No yard work gets done during the day for sure. By the way--we are north west of Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina