U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 AM

3,765 posts, read 5,767,971 times

Advertisements

So, you've never ventured beyond NC? Oh my friend, I encourage you to venture out to see more of the beautiful country you live in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 PM

109 posts, read 199,390 times
I have come to believe much of living (anywhere) is a state of mind. I have lived in a few different cities now and have come to realize that you can be miserable or happy wherever you are. But I can also understand, if you are used to NYC and completely love NYC, then Bertie County, for example, may be a difficult transition. North Carolina, just like the rest of the world, has some amazing food, some great people and communities. Many of the cities are extremely diverse with beautiful people and land. I'm 30 and have lived in NC for most of my life and enjoy it- though I would enjoy anywhere i lived.

Education- We have some great universities, though I agree that we need to improve our primary and secondary schools education.

Drugs and rednecks- You'll find that everywhere. Even if they are not "rednecks" in the other cities, you can find trashy people wherever you go.

Raleigh- That's a really interesting take on Raleigh! I do love some of the restaurants in Raleigh. In particular, Durham is one of my favorite cities in North Carolina and definitely in the Triangle area. I think I can understand your thoughts on Raleigh, with parts of the city like North-Hills.. i can see why someone would feel like that is 'fake'. Though it's not my cup of tea, it definitely works. The market has absolutely bought into the area- which I think is really good for the area. But the good thing about the Triangle, in my opinion is that you have something like Durham so close by that has a much different feel. Durham has that gritty and real- down to earth character- that I love.

Our beaches and the mountains are gorgeous, I don't know if i agree that they don't live up to other places, but I am not sure I would compare them, either. Again, I think that its purely a state of mind. I think some people are determined to be miserable wherever they are and see the negative in the place. I'm not saying that that is you, i'm just saying that there are a lot of people like that. But perhaps you should do a bit of moving around to find what you are looking for.

Good luck, there is a beautiful world out there and Nevada is a really beautiful place!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 PM

127 posts, read 114,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
Our beaches and the mountains are gorgeous, I don't know if i agree that they don't live up to other places, but I am not sure I would compare them, either. Again, I think that its purely a state of mind. I think some people are determined to be miserable wherever they are and see the negative in the place. I'm not saying that that is you, i'm just saying that there are a lot of people like that. But perhaps you should do a bit of moving around to find what you are looking for.

Good luck, there is a beautiful world out there and Nevada is a really beautiful place!
Different people enjoy different places. Which makes it hard to say one place is the best for everyone.

I'm not sure I'd say either are "gorgeous", but that's just the perception. I'd say they pale in comparison to the mountains west of the Mississippi, or northern New Hampshire. NH isn't quite as tall, but being far north allows for the tree line to be quite a bit lower, which greatly improves the experience, and well the mountains out west are in general way more exciting to climb, with much better views.

I'd say the west coast, even though the water itself isn't quite as enjoyable is much more gorgeous, or the blue waters off of Florida. The actual beaches of NC are just better than the states north of it, although I'd say the beach tourism experience is way different than Ocean City, NJ shore, the cape, etc.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 AM

625 posts, read 508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You've never left the state of NC????
Not just that but this person has never left the Piedmont Region either.Oh my take is that they live somewhere in Guilford, Alamance, or Chatham County

Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 AM

70 posts, read 71,562 times
I live in Caswell County

Old 10-27-2017, 09:23 AM

3,142 posts, read 1,512,494 times
But Starboy is happy where he is. His life is full. Is there a law that says one has to leave even if one is perfectly happy where they are? There is such a thing as contentment with what we have which is admirable. More people should have that quality including myself.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy2017 View Post
I live in Caswell County
Ahhh ok I was one county below, what got me was the "farthest North you have been was Yanceyville. So I assumed you were in Alamance County. I am born and raised in SE Guilford County but now living outside of Los Angeles.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 71,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Ahhh ok I was one county below, what got me was the "farthest North you have been was Yanceyville. So I assumed you were in Alamance County. I am born and raised in SE Guilford County but now living outside of Los Angeles.
Wow that sounds amazing I'm not a big fan of going West I want to go North

Old 10-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy2017 View Post
Wow that sounds amazing I'm not a big fan of going West I want to go North
Well I was working overseas in 2012 and I took a job that paid well so that I could come back to the USA. I am currently trying to move back to NC as we speak.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,951,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm turning 29 this month. I was born and raised in eastern North Carolina. I have traveled a lot but have never had an address outside of NC.

My whole life, I liked it well enough. It was all I really knew, I guess. But now, I suppose since I've visited other places so much, I have just gotten to the point where I really do hate it here.

Sure, there are things that I love about NC. I'm a country girl at heart...I love my country music, and I love country cooking. My family is here. I love that our state has beaches and mountains.

But...I just don't want to live here anymore.

In some ways, this place feels like a total cesspool. So many people here don't value education. So many think "so-and-so is doing real good these days...she got her a job at Wal-Mart, and I guess the kids are staying with their deddy some while she's working now, I'm sure glad he stepped up a little bit since he got out of jail! She said he even got his GED!" So many rednecks with their stupid, noisy jacked-up trucks and Mossy Oak crap. So many hog houses and trailers. The smell of turkey ****. So many drugs...I know they are a problem everywhere, but my goodness.

And then you have places like Raleigh. Fewer rednecks, for sure. But Raleigh just feels like a "fake" city that was built to appease the North Carolina elite and the transplants who came here to work in the Triangle. Sure, there are places to go, places to shop and places to eat, but it still feels...well..."boring." Bland. Like everything got built because it kinda had to be, as a natural progression...I do know that tech and health care things are going on in the Triangle, so I'm not talking about that, but more like as a place to live in general...

And even the things that I love about our state are all, well, half-assed. Sure, I love our Southern food, but it doesn't have the same culture as, say, food from Louisiana. I love that we have beaches, but they're nothing compared to the beaches in Florida. Yes, we have mountains, and they're gorgeous...until you visit the Rockies.

I know this seems like a long rant, and it kinda is, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has or has had similar thoughts?
Not going to read this whole thread but I'll tell you got a whole life to live ahead of you! But it will go quickly. Lots of stuff to see too! You have to take the initiative though. At your age I would go and live different places for a year or two and move on (hopefully with a career jump).

Try the Pacific Northwest or California. I've lived here for many years and have found my way around its drawbacks.

The entire country is in decline though, and has been for decades but you're so young you may not have a point of reference anyway.

Go! Explore! Enjoy this thing called life and let mediocre people live in their McHouses with their McSUVS. They will still be there in a couple years if you decide to come back, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina