U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 AM

2,900 posts, read 5,367,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I live in South Carolina but come to North Carolina a few times a week on a consistent basis because of the hiking. Now at the age of 30, I finally went and vacationed places out west like Vegas Phoenix and some of California.The Landscape and Vibe out there is so different compared to the east and and I fell in love with the West. But it's hard to move out there when all of your family and friends are on the other side of the country. I love these western nc mtns and Asheville.

You can hate where you live if you've been there all your life. go explore while you can before committing to living somewhere.

I tell people this constantly...as I moved from Charlotte to Phoenix almost 5 years ago....Totally different vibe out west....and its for the better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:23 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,067,924 times
The top 3 states having the most people live their entire lives within the state's borders and never live anywhere outside the state are:

1) Texas

2) North Carolina

3) Georgia.

All 3 have cities big enough,have coastlines and rural areas that reduce the necessity to leave.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM

1,204 posts, read 530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
This thread is depressing. I'm a native of the Atlanta area. My father is from western NC (mother from northern AL). I left Atlanta 10 years ago to get away from traffic, lack of history. Moved to New Orleans where I worked for 8 years and managed to complete my BA at Tulane. From there I spent a bit over 2 years in Scotland (I have 2 UK university Master's degrees). I even work right now for a member of Parliament.

I must return to America soon because of work visa issues.

I had considered NC. Its a family ancestral home of sorts (my family lived in NC since before the Revolutionary War). Thought it might be good to be around some of that history (but it sounds like there isn't much to see).

I am a native Southerner, I loved living here in Scotland...now I have no idea where would be ideal to move. (Would have considered the northeast but other Americans from outside the south seem to think I am white trash because of my accent). This thread is depressing and as much as I hate to say it, this country is depressing.
Hey, do not be depressed! I am a foreigner myself. I am in my late 30s, lived in different countries, traveled a lot and lived in a number of states in the USA since I moved here in 2003. For the last 7 years, I've been living in CO. I lived right by the Flatirons in Boulder, and now have a house in Denver. I've been looking to move somewhere in the South because I have a weird affection for it. I have considered Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston... and finally visited Raleigh and Durham this October. I really loved Durham. I am seriously considering selling my house this Spring and moving to NC.

Let me tell you what I liked about Durham:

- I felt like I met a lot of smart and active people. You could "feel" the intellectualism in the area. I really liked that. Denver has very educated people too... but sometime you kind of miss "internationalism" that comes with cities surrounded by universities. Durham definitely has that

- diversity... It's not as diverse as Atlanta, but I truly felt comfortable in Durham... because it was a very diverse place.

- I liked the vibe. It's very down-to-earth but also very artsy and cool. It reminded me of Austin, TX in early 2000s. It still has that hippie, artsy coolness... without the shiny/expensive million dollar mc mansions of Austin.

- close to the beach

- close to the mountains. True, Rockies are my backyard right now... but sometimes they are not easy. It's not easy to get there on weekends because of horrible traffic. Or, it's not cheap to enjoy the winter sports (just a regular pass to a close by skiing place would cost you a fortune then add the equipment... ugh!).

- I really liked the people. Everyone was genuinely friendly

- Great food! Restaurants were great and the Durham farmers market was really good.

Anyway, I do not think this thread should depress you. I think, perhaps, the OP (no offense) doesn't have any other place to compare her state to... It's all relative.... You should visit and check it out for yourself. I think you will like it.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:57 AM

919 posts, read 459,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Oh yes, the politics here are just as bad. They are just on a different side of the spectrum.
I lived in Chicagoland for nearly 40 years before moving to N.C. yes, the Chicago and Illinois bad joke history is deserved. In 13 years down here, I see rampant local corruption as well as questionable politics in Raleigh. Maybe it’s everywhere, but that’s a depressing thought.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,236 times
Your a "country girl" but is complaining about rednecks!?!? Wow well OK, but anyways I'm from Yancey county, Small town Micaville near steel toe river i grew up there. I love it here its all i know, I don't really like the eastern NC area. I like some areas of the Piedmont, that's aren't big city's. I like the little county's where everyone knows everyone and everyone is friendly. Which is usually found in smaller towns!!!

Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM

4,701 posts, read 4,355,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexblevins0317 View Post
Your a "country girl" but is complaining about rednecks!?!? Wow well OK, but anyways I'm from Yancey county, Small town Micaville near steel toe river i grew up there. I love it here its all i know, I don't really like the eastern NC area. I like some areas of the Piedmont, that's aren't big city's. I like the little county's where everyone knows everyone and everyone is friendly. Which is usually found in smaller towns!!!
In bigger cities you know people in your general area. From bars, to post office, walking around, etc.

I found this in both Charlotte and DC and I know people from other large cities around the US and world where you get to know your local butcher, recognize people you know in the grocery store and know peoples business. Obviously, in small towns - which I never lived in one - I guess it's like that but more hardcore? I don't know.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Status: "The honor system only works for people with honor." (set 1 day ago)

5,952 posts, read 3,590,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
In bigger cities you know people in your general area. From bars, to post office, walking around, etc.

I found this in both Charlotte and DC and I know people from other large cities around the US and world where you get to know your local butcher, recognize people you know in the grocery store and know peoples business. Obviously, in small towns - which I never lived in one - I guess it's like that but more hardcore? I don't know.
The difference between what you're describing in a close knit area in Charlotte and a very small town is that in the small town if you want to be anonymous, even just temporarily because you're not in the mood to have "everyone know your name" when you go out anywhere in public, it's pretty hard to do unless you don't mind driving through miles and miles of dark woods to get to a slightly larger town or city. In Charlotte, you can just go a short distance.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM

1,860 posts, read 844,364 times
I grew up in Goldsboro and moved to J-ville in my teens. Then I moved to NJ when I was 18. Ive lived here for 12 years now. I work in NYC every day and I am MISERABLE. I thought NC was boring and slow, now I just want to go home. When I first went to NY I spent all my time looking up all lost like country mouse in the big city. Now im jaded and am slowly losing my mind with the people and the traffic and the rudeness. In about 5 years we are moving back, to live in the Cape Carteret area I think. We own a business we are hoping to expand to down there and have a second office. So we will be back and forth a lot but home base will be NC. I cant wait to see less city

Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 PM

4,374 posts, read 2,428,551 times
FWIW, I've never been to North Carolina and I'd love to see the Outer Banks. The dialect in particular is so different from most of the South.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 PM
Status: "The honor system only works for people with honor." (set 1 day ago)

5,952 posts, read 3,590,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
FWIW, I've never been to North Carolina and I'd love to see the Outer Banks. The dialect in particular is so different from most of the South.
I hope you're able to make it out here and have an enjoyable time. The Outer Banks are beautiful indeed with the miles of undeveloped beaches. Just keep in mind that most of NC doesn't live on or even close to the Outer Banks so that part of the state is pretty far removed from most North Carolinians' daily lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MvtQp2-UA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina