Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 15 days ago)

5,756 posts, read 5,518,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You really think so? I think the Triad is a pretty interesting region and the most authentically North Carolinian, with a few unique aspects thrown in. The grand triumvirate of the state's legacy industries--furniture, textiles, and tobacco--all have a strong foothold in the region, and the newer industries (banking, tech, healthcare, higher ed) driving most of the state's growth have a strong presence there also, although banking is about to take a hit with the SunTrust/BB&T merger. The region is home to one of NC's signature styles of BBQ. The headquarters of the ACC is there and it has a most diverse collection of colleges and universities. The state zoo is in the Triad, and Southern cities with Moravian/Quaker origins and influences is pretty rare. The only granite-domed skyscraper in the world and the predecessor of the Empire State Building are found in the region. The civil rights sit-in movement was launched there. The region is home to a few well-known consumer brands, more than any other NC region. All in all, I think the Triad is a bit underrated myself but I know we see things a bit differently here.

As far as the mountains/western NC, "despise" is a pretty strong word. I know that culturally, you don't have too much in common with the region as far as Southern subcultures go, but isn't the natural beauty of the region a redeeming quality at least?

The Triad is a beautiful area, I love how the area looks in Spring. That's about it for me, though. The college sports craziness isn't really my thing, and it's less subdued there than in Triangle just by virtue of being the smaller region...

Western Carolina, I can find even fewer things to like. Its scenic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I once told my niece (when she started college), approximately every 3-4 years (freshmen to senior year for example) the world will appear somewhat different as you mature/season. What you once disdained and was seemingly boring, you begin to embrace. And then ponder...what the hell was I thinking back then and wish this revelation or epiphany had occurred sooner in life.
Too late with this advice, buddy. Lol.....I've already been experiencing this over the last several years with a bunch of things, and ironically, the draw to Raleigh fits here. I never hated it but I used to think the area was so drab and unworthy of my time. That began changing in 2016 and developed to a point where I enjoy Raleigh. So that's just one example...

I've learned to appreciate North Carolina over the last several years. But I do think there is still a void here for me, not that I can be unhappy or not enjoy my time here, but there are other areas that better fit what I look for in a city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 02:03 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,238,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The Triad is a beautiful area, I love how the area looks in Spring. That's about it for me, though. The college sports craziness isn't really my thing, and it's less subdued there than in Triangle just by virtue of being the smaller region...

Western Carolina, I can find even fewer things to like. Its scenic...

Too late with this advice, buddy. Lol.....I've already been experiencing this over the last several years with a bunch of things, and ironically, the draw to Raleigh fits here. I never hated it but I used to think the area was so drab and unworthy of my time. That began changing in 2016 and developed to a point where I enjoy Raleigh. So that's just one example...

I've learned to appreciate North Carolina over the last several years. But I do think there is still a void here for me, not that I can be unhappy or not enjoy my time here, but there are other areas that better fit what I look for in a city...
Huh? A city is a city with the good and bad. That void ain't got nothing to do with RDU (NC) because being content/happy is a decision. Drab and unworthy of your time? Who the hell are you? the Prince of Zamunda?....lol...that drab thing made me laugh.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM

17 posts, read 15,407 times
Disclaimer: NC born, have lived in cities and rural areas, and lived in three other states. I understand some of what lkmax is saying. Most of Eastern NC might as well be a separate state. Way too conservative for me. Flat economy. Lack of "culture" compared to bigger cities. But when I think of the whole state of NC, I think of what could be versus what it is now and it is so lacking. And, you could say that for many states in the U.S. Main pet peeves for NC are conservative legislature that has been trying to tear the state apart for the last 8 years or so; far-right evangelical religious hate/suspicion that permeates about everything once you get outside of Asheville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Wilmington; and resistance to almost any kind of public transportation initiatives.

I came back here from the West Coast in 2004, mainly for family. If not for family, I would likely be living somewhere else.

lkmax, If you're a "country girl" at heart, I don't know if you'll be happy in a different environment ... and the only way to find out is move out of state and try another setting. Don't know your age or relationship status, but the older you get the harder it is to make these big moves.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,384,770 times
I dont know which is worse,,,,Illegal aliens who love NC being a big time sanctuary city state or the Yankees who think native north carolinians are all hillbillys . They best keep their opinions to themselves if they plan to live here in peace......

Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,238,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I dont know which is worse,,,,Illegal aliens who love NC being a big time sanctuary city state or the Yankees who think native north carolinians are all hillbillys . They best keep their opinions to themselves if they plan to live here in peace......
Wacthca gone do Bubba? Shoot 'em in the knee caps, then spit on 'em with chewin' baccie.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 834 times
I grew up in Burlington, NC and I have family in ENC so I can relate. The problem with N.C. is that everything is small. Small mountains, small cities, small beaches, small landscapes. It can be good but nothing is impressive. People in N.C. are nice but they aren’t well travelled. NC lacks culture and companies HQd here. Name 1 food that is unique to N.C. besides barbecue. Name some big companies with HQs here besides BoA. Name any famous people from N.C. besides Billy Graham. Name a famous musician from N.C. We do have the best college basketball. Charlotte and Raleigh are cities for transplants. Because of NC’s lack of culture, it was easy for the transplants to move here and take over the big cities. I see North Carolinians as very narrow minded. But I will take a southerner over most Americans any day. People from the Midwest are ok. The Yankees have ruined our big cities. Oh well. Sigh.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:07 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,621,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjyop View Post
I grew up in Burlington, NC and I have family in ENC so I can relate. The problem with N.C. is that everything is small. Small mountains, small cities, small beaches, small landscapes. It can be good but nothing is impressive. People in N.C. are nice but they aren’t well travelled. NC lacks culture and companies HQd here. Name 1 food that is unique to N.C. besides barbecue. Name some big companies with HQs here besides BoA. Name any famous people from N.C. besides Billy Graham. Name a famous musician from N.C. We do have the best college basketball. Charlotte and Raleigh are cities for transplants. Because of NC’s lack of culture, it was easy for the transplants to move here and take over the big cities. I see North Carolinians as very narrow minded. But I will take a southerner over most Americans any day. People from the Midwest are ok. The Yankees have ruined our big cities. Oh well. Sigh.
Early leader for dumbest post of the year.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:48 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,219,449 times
Quote:
Name any famous people from N.C. besides Billy Graham. Name a famous musician from N.C....
I refer you to the Wikipedia page on famous people from NC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

Old 08-05-2019, 08:47 AM

430 posts, read 278,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I refer you to the Wikipedia page on famous people from NC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM

6,317 posts, read 5,406,826 times
Quote:
Slow day at home for me today so I decided to accept this "challenge"

Name 1 food that is unique to N.C. besides barbecue
  • Pimento Cheese
  • Cheerwine
  • Bojangles
  • Cookout

Name some big companies with HQs here besides BoA.
  • SAS
  • BB&T
  • GlaxoSmithKline US
  • Lowes
  • LabCorp

Name any famous people from N.C. besides Billy Graham

Are you serious?.... here's a TINY sampling from the list already posted by someone else..
  • Michael Jordan
  • Andy Griffith
  • Sandra Bullock
  • James Taylor
  • Steph Curry
  • Dale Earnhardt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina