U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 07:27 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,199,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATENC View Post
I'll be here for another 15 years
Are you sure you can’t leave sooner?

Quote:
I'll be moving back to AZ.
You promise?

Quote:
I could go on....
No, please don’t.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 10:25 AM

2,252 posts, read 848,155 times
Charlotte and other larger cities in nc is a haven for illegal law breaking aliens. The governor just vetoed a bill that require sheriffs and other law enforcement to turn over wanted federal criminals to the federal police. .This is crazy

Old 08-31-2019, 07:36 PM
Status: "Merry Christmas! Happy new year!" (set 19 days ago)

8,283 posts, read 9,223,856 times
Quote:
I've lived in 4 states and NC is by far the worse state that I've lived in. I've traveled to, or through 33 states, so I have been around.

I moved here from Arizona due to my elderly parents relocating here. Since then, I've had a son. I'll be here for another 15 years and then I'll be moving back to AZ.

Why does NC suck?

1) Not all, but many of the people are still hung up on the Civil War. It's ridiculous. Sure, I'm a "Yankee". But my blood came across the pond in the late 1800's, so my "grandpappy" didn't "beat up" their "grandpappy". Grow up. Slavery was a terrible part of American history. I'm glad the North won the war. It made America a better place.

2) The weather. Humid in the summer. Cold in the winter. The weather overall sucks here.

3) The Southern dialect. I live in the eastern part of this state. People need to learn how to speak proper English. Backwood Rednecks.

4) Look, there's litter bugs in every state. But the trash dumped everywhere is disgusting. End of story.

5) The crime. A town of 20,000 has a higher crime rate than Phoenix. Let that sink in.

6) The food. NC BBQ is terrible.

I could go on....
Please, don't just hit and run and never return like so many who make posts like these, continue on....

Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,588,582 times
Quote:

1) Not all, but many of the people are still hung up on the Civil War. It's ridiculous. Sure, I'm a "Yankee". But my blood came across the pond in the late 1800's, so my "grandpappy" didn't "beat up" their "grandpappy". Grow up. Slavery was a terrible part of American history. I'm glad the North won the war. It made America a better place.
I know it's been a few years, but I'm the one who started this thread, so I'm no major defender or lover of North Carolina. I still think NC sucks.

I don't believe this, though. I legit don't know anyone who is "hung up" on the Civil War. I have literally never met anyone in my life who calls their grandfather "grandpappy."

Old 05-04-2020, 07:35 AM

7,005 posts, read 10,548,160 times
OP, did you end up moving? I really think you should go and see what's out there - life's too short! Go have adventures!

Old 05-05-2020, 09:32 PM

3,374 posts, read 3,153,807 times
I grew up in Franklin County, graduated from NC State, and have spent the next 30 years in Atlanta, Southern California, Boston, Jersey City, NJ and 10 years in NYC. Now back in Atlanta.

I have more respect for NC now after living around the country.

It is one of the most-well run states in the same league as NY, FL and California.

It does a good job spreading resources across the entire state which has a very dispersed population which also includes the nation's 2nd highest rural population.

Most states only have to focus on a main city like Georgia, and even with that they don't do nearly as well as North Carolina does.

North Carolina holds itself to a much higher standard than all but the top few states.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:37 PM

3,374 posts, read 3,153,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I know it's been a few years, but I'm the one who started this thread, so I'm no major defender or lover of North Carolina. I still think NC sucks.

I don't believe this, though. I legit don't know anyone who is "hung up" on the Civil War. I have literally never met anyone in my life who calls their grandfather "grandpappy."
Your discontent is likely due to your own personality and how you treat others.

Cool people have respect for others' cultures and don't use such trivial peculiarities as reason enough to denounce an entire state.

There's plenty of cheesy and laughable behavior by people in the Tri-State area as well as horrible tastes in clothing and furniture.

Rednecks are aplenty in NY State and California where I've seen triple-wide mobile seemingly held together with duct tape.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:06 PM

36,268 posts, read 35,052,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Most states only have to focus on a main city like Georgia, and even with that they don't do nearly as well as North Carolina does.
Most states have multiple sizable cities. Georgia is more of an outlier, especially for an Eastern state.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:34 PM

2,891 posts, read 1,170,767 times
How is Georgia an outlier? Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon?

Columbus is a well-kept secret www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:30 AM

36,268 posts, read 35,052,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
How is Georgia an outlier? Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon?
Metro Atlanta is at least ten times larger than all those places and none of them are especially hot job markets. Most states don't have such a huge gap between its largest metro and the others; that's what makes Georgia an outlier.

Quote:
Columbus is a well-kept secret
Thanks for proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina