U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM

7,462 posts, read 5,059,411 times

Advertisements

[quote=stopgo;47907978
Another poster already asked this in a way, but to the OP, what are YOU doing about it? Are you actually trying to find a way out to another place you think the grass is greener? Or, are you content to simply slam a place that many who read these forums are finding happiness in, who appreciate what NC has to offer, who have found their home? For you, maybe its more about your not having figured out what you want to do with your life. Are you working? If so, is it a career or a job? Find a purpose, once you have that, it can/will give meaning to other things, places, people and so on.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

OP, what is keeping you from making a change? If you don't have your ducks in a row regarding savings or jobs, you can start working on that today.

If it is fear, well, you only live once.

If it is because you have family nearby, well, they can come visit you.

Barring tragic circumstances in a person's life, you are only as happy as you make yourself to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:45 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,858,565 times
I'm not a big fan of eastern NC. I've never lived east of I-95, but it just seems like a depressing place particularly the smaller towns. Most towns in that area are dried up, and I wouldn't be surprised if younger folks are flocking out of them left and right. This is probably the case across rural America in general, though. I'm not surprised you hold this attitude.

Raleigh is decent, though. It does feel kind of fake but that ties back to the area's growth being relatively recent. The city lacks a historic core, unlike cities further north along the lines of Richmond, DC, etc. Raleigh is "shiny and new" but the metro attracts very well-educated transplants. The area has a middle class "family friendly" vibe but there are plenty of young folks at the same time. I have a love/hate relationship with the city. I grew up way out in the Raleigh 'burbs and it seemed like all the kids were the same in high school (preppy types) but I'm sure that's just suburbia.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 PM

8,115 posts, read 9,058,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but at least a lot of those towns are scenic and have a more moderate climate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Agreed.

Those towns also look less beat up than ENC towns.

The foothills towns may be past their heyday....but they don't look as abandoned/blighted as many areas of Rocky Mount, Kinston, etc. There seems to be more civic pride in the piedmont and foothills than ENC in general. As evidenced by many of the ENC natives commenting on this thread (and many that I know personally).
Correct. They also don't stink of hog farms.

Even towns in the poorest of Appalachia could always have some kind of potential if someone wanted to invest time and money into building a ski resort or something else that would appeal to tourists using the natural landscape already in place. You are 99% more likely to turn a town like Robbinsville into some kind of weekend/summer getaway spot than you are a town like Warsaw.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 04-21-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 PM

6,600 posts, read 10,953,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i dont see how ENC is worse than gastonia, morganton, wilkesboro, hickory, avery county, roxboro, cherryville, lots of other small towns off and in the mountains
Gastonia is only 20 miles from uptown Charlotte (8 miles from Charlotte's city limits). If Kinston had Gastonia's advantage, things would be different. Also, Gastonia has jobs. Hickory has jobs (believe it or not) too. Hickory is also a short commute to booming Mooresville and the Denver area of Lincoln county.

As for Avery county and Wilkesboro, those two aren't far from the tourism of Boone and the rest of NC's "high country".

Western NC certainly has poverty issues, but for some reason Eastern NC has poverty AND lots of crime. Some of NC's most dangerous towns are out east.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 PM

6,273 posts, read 6,375,960 times
um, no. I grew up in Fayetteville and that was okay, really. We moved to the suburbs of DC and that was a trafficky nightmare. I'm back in Raleigh.

To me it doesn't seem fake at all. We patronize the businesses and culture we want to support, and those are the ones that thrive, so how can that be fake? I've met a lot of really nice people here.

I think you need to do some travelling and live where you want to live, and remember that the true value of where you live is the relationships you form with people and the family you choose. You can't get that by a visit to town, you really have to immerse yourself.

Follow your bliss. It's okay if that isn't in NC, we aren't offended.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM

23,767 posts, read 30,751,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Gastonia is only 20 miles from uptown Charlotte (8 miles from Charlotte's city limits). If Kinston had Gastonia's advantage, things would be different. Also, Gastonia has jobs. Hickory has jobs (believe it or not) too. Hickory is also a short commute to booming Mooresville and the Denver area of Lincoln county.

As for Avery county and Wilkesboro, those two aren't far from the tourism of Boone and the rest of NC's "high country".

Western NC certainly has poverty issues, but for some reason Eastern NC has poverty AND lots of crime. Some of NC's most dangerous towns are out east.
Gastonia & Hickory have jobs & shopping. Both have excellent highway/interstate access. Tossing Cherryville in with them makes zero sense.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM

6,500 posts, read 4,895,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
You are 99% more likely to turn a town like Robbinsville into some kind of weekend/summer getaway spot than you are a town like Warsaw.
Ha! We lived in Warsaw from 1998-2000. It's one of the trashiest small towns I've ever seen.

A lot of eastern NC towns and cities would actually look decent if they would just clean their **** up. But, they're reluctant to do it for some damn reason.

Hell, most of Goldsboro's motels along US-70 are nothing more than meth labs and prostitution houses. The Serena Inn and Irish Inns have been raided numerous times, yet the city absolutely refuses to permanently shut them down.

A big reason Eastern NC has a lot of crime is because there are plenty of safe havens for it, IMO.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,338,836 times
OP, I know of what you speak of. Moved from Charlotte, NC (Born and raised) 3years ago to Phoenix. I started feeling the same way before I moved. Everything in Charlotte started "irking" me. I was so done with Charlotte, the people, the scene, the same ole, same ole....I knew I needed change. So I did something about it. I sold my house, started paying off all of my debt, socked some savings away and moved. Of course - job was in hand before I made the leap....All I saying is, go for it. Change is good for some people. I know it was for me. The move was physically and mentally good for me. No regrets here.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 AM

241 posts, read 279,370 times
[quote=urbancharlotte;47913000]Gastonia is only 20 miles from uptown Charlotte (8 miles from Charlotte's city limits). If Kinston had Gastonia's advantage, things would be different. Also, Gastonia has jobs. Hickory has jobs (believe it or not) too. Hickory is also a short commute to booming Mooresville and the Denver area of Lincoln county.

Western NC certainly has poverty issues, but for some reason Eastern NC has poverty AND lots of crime. Some of NC's most dangerous towns are out east.[/QUOTE]

It's still basically an economic issue. I imagine it's easier to generate tourist dollars with shops, ski resorts, restaurants and the like in the mountains because it's just much prettier scenery than down east. Couple the bad economy with the much higher population densities and you have a crime problem.

I think folks assume that rural high poverty areas are just naturally crime free. That's untrue. I have a friend from the Boone area and she said that economy is pretty crappy there, too. Not eastern NC crappy, but there's much unemployment and meth use. It doesn't garner as much media attention because urban poverty is geographic closer to mass media outlets than rural poverty and because of higher population density.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:14 AM

2,824 posts, read 3,858,565 times
If you take App State (and the tourism) out of Boone, that area might as well be rural WV. I suppose the tourism is still strong especially down in the Blowing Rock area, but it's true that tons of western NC towns are also dried up. At the same time, crime is relatively low in many towns in those parts plus the moderate climate and scenic beauty helps a lot. The situation could be much worse.

Backwater eastern NC towns are totally different because they have no tourism, they're just places people drive through on the way to the coast. Plenty of folks out of Raleigh love stopping at the BBQ restaurants in towns like Goldsboro, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina