Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:01 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I think folks assume that rural high poverty areas are just naturally crime free.
I've never heard anyone assume that. Ever. I've always heard the opposite. "High poverty=crime ridden" is what has been drilled into me.

As someone that has actually lived in eastern NC for 14 years and not just someone that passed through it, a lot of the violent crime that happens (assaults/shootings) tend to be cases where the victim knew the suspect (drug deals gone wrong, personal beef, etc.). I've never once been a victim of a crime during my time there. Then again, I wasn't involved in any illegal activities nor did I hang with the wrong crowd and I knew what areas to avoid. But, to hear some people tell it, I should've been shot and killed several times over by now just for being there. That's not to say that it's impossible for me or anybody else to become a victim of a random incident, but using common sense goes a long way.

On the other hand, people down East used to run down Durham and say what a crime-ridden ****hole it was and that you would get shot just for setting foot in city limits. I'll be the first to admit that I hopped on the bandwagon and believed that crap until I actually went to Durham. Now that I've actually been there, I think it's one of the coolest cities I've been to. I also didn't get shot! Double win!

Last edited by LM117; 04-22-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If you take App State (and the tourism) out of Boone, that area might as well be rural WV.
The same analogy could be said for Greenville if it didn't have ECU. I suspect Greenville would be one of the most downtrodden places in the state without it.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:18 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Sorry I haven't been back to this post. I'm really sick and have been for the past couple of days. I'm hoping I don't have the flu.

For those who are asking about my job/financial situation, it's secure. I'm self-employed and work from my computer, so I can take my "job" with me anywhere. Plus, I have plenty in savings.

My husband and I are in the process of planning a move to Nevada. We want to sell our house first, though.

Thanks for the insight, all. And sorry if I offended some. I definitely went off on a bit of a rant there. I'm just fed up with this place. Maybe I'm weird.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:21 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Sorry I haven't been back to this post. I'm really sick and have been for the past couple of days. I'm hoping I don't have the flu.

For those who are asking about my job/financial situation, it's secure. I'm self-employed and work from my computer, so I can take my "job" with me anywhere. Plus, I have plenty in savings.

My husband and I are in the process of planning a move to Nevada. We want to sell our house first, though.

Thanks for the insight, all. And sorry if I offended some. I definitely went off on a bit of a rant there. I'm just fed up with this place. Maybe I'm weird.
Well good for you!

Hope you feel better soon (physically and emotionally!). Best of luck on your new adventure out west!

Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:

Cool, but always remember, there are plenty of people in Nevada who are sick of that place as well....a little perspective.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:06 PM

241 posts, read 338,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I've never heard anyone assume that. Ever. I've always heard the opposite. "High poverty=crime ridden" is what has been drilled into me.

As someone that has actually lived in eastern NC for 14 years and not just someone that passed through it, a lot of the violent crime that happens (assaults/shootings) tend to be cases where the victim knew the suspect (drug deals gone wrong, personal beef, etc.). I've never once been a victim of a crime during my time there. Then again, I wasn't involved in any illegal activities nor did I hang with the wrong crowd and I knew what areas to avoid. But, to hear some people tell it, I should've been shot and killed several times over by now just for being there. That's not to say that it's impossible for me or anybody else to become a victim of a random incident, but using common sense goes a long way.

On the other hand, people down East used to run down Durham and say what a crime-ridden ****hole it was and that you would get shot just for setting foot in city limits. I'll be the first to admit that I hopped on the bandwagon and believed that crap until I actually went to Durham. Now that I've actually been there, I think it's one of the coolest cities I've been to. I also didn't get shot! Double win!
I think most folks recognize that poverty and crime are bed fellows; that's not exactly what I meant. I apologize for the error. But, I believe that the mainstream perception of the criminals and kinds of criminal activity that takes place is different between rural and urban poverty.

Yeah, I lived down east for almost five years and never felt unsafe. But, I grew up in a much larger city, so that accounts for that. There was crime in Greenville, but I didn't frequent high crime areas of town with the exception of downtown. Most of the crime down there was alcohol-induced, as one would expect in a college town.

My best friend is a Durham native and her stories are legendary. She dated a crackhead in high school, told me you wouldn't be caught downtown after sundown. That's pretty much the same as Winston until the past 10 years or so. She worked at a now defunct mall that was in a very crime-ridden area. I started dating her manager and befriended her other manager. They all had the same stories about how that area of south Durham was crackhead alley. Incidentally, I ended up working with another person from that area. He's a gamer and there was a Toys 'R Us across from that mall. He was driving down that street and saw two employees chasing a man with a gaming system under his arm. He had to swerve to not hit them. Lol. It's not really funny, but it kind of is.

Also, some areas off of Roxboro Rd. were a little sketch. The man I dated lived in some apartments in that area and had is cd player stolen out of his car about 3 times. The other manager got a job off of Roxboro Rd. and told me the store manager next door had his stolen out of his car in broad daylight. I associate that kind of crime with bigger cities than Durham. Durham is cool city, though. I love how they've revitalized downtown and there's a good mix of folks, there.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:40 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
I think most folks recognize that poverty and crime are bed fellows; that's not exactly what I meant. I apologize for the error. But, I believe that the mainstream perception of the criminals and kinds of criminal activity that takes place is different between rural and urban poverty.

Yeah, I lived down east for almost five years and never felt unsafe. But, I grew up in a much larger city, so that accounts for that. There was crime in Greenville, but I didn't frequent high crime areas of town with the exception of downtown. Most of the crime down there was alcohol-induced, as one would expect in a college town.

My best friend is a Durham native and her stories are legendary. She dated a crackhead in high school, told me you wouldn't be caught downtown after sundown. That's pretty much the same as Winston until the past 10 years or so. She worked at a now defunct mall that was in a very crime-ridden area. I started dating her manager and befriended her other manager. They all had the same stories about how that area of south Durham was crackhead alley. Incidentally, I ended up working with another person from that area. He's a gamer and there was a Toys 'R Us across from that mall. He was driving down that street and saw two employees chasing a man with a gaming system under his arm. He had to swerve to not hit them. Lol. It's not really funny, but it kind of is.

Also, some areas off of Roxboro Rd. were a little sketch. The man I dated lived in some apartments in that area and had is cd player stolen out of his car about 3 times. The other manager got a job off of Roxboro Rd. and told me the store manager next door had his stolen out of his car in broad daylight. I associate that kind of crime with bigger cities than Durham. Durham is cool city, though. I love how they've revitalized downtown and there's a good mix of folks, there.
That's a lot of hyperbole about Durham and crime. I've been living and/or visiting downtown Durham the past 30 years aside from some time out of state. Parts of Durham are edgy (mostly East and fringes of North Durham) but not like parts of Baltimore or DC edgy. I guess a sad attempt at impressing folks about rough and tough Durham...it's no where nearly as bad as claimed.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Lol, I grew up in Wayne County so I learned real quick, real fast where the good and bad areas are!

I spent half my time going to Wilson. Damn I miss Parkwood Mall...

Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's a lot of hyperbole about Durham and crime. I've been living and/or visiting downtown Durham the past 30 years aside from some time out of state. Parts of Durham are edgy (mostly East and fringes of North Durham) but not like parts of Baltimore or DC edgy. I guess a sad attempt at impressing folks about rough and tough Durham...it's no where nearly as bad as claimed.
I think it's pretty well understood durham in the 90's and 00's was something of a blighted and reputation arguable deserved

it's just had a stellar climb after that.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:

WARNING: Extreme stereotype-ridden comment below....

...........Moving from ENC to Nevada is like jumping out of the white-trash frying pan into the white-trash fire.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina