U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Status: "Ready for cooler weather" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Planet Earth
8,201 posts, read 9,132,990 times
Reputation: 6071

Advertisements

Quote:
There's a very strong culture on C-D of bashing on Raleigh, and mostly I think the people who do are complete idiots that don't know what they're talking about. They just hear what other people say, and they repeat it uncritically.
While I don't disagree, I also wouldn't put a lot of stock into what a lot of the goofballs, particularly the ones in the General US forum have to say about Raleigh, or Charlotte, or really any Sunbelt city not named Miami or New Orleans, sometimes Atlanta depending on who is the thread starter.

I read it all the time. Sunbelt cities are too car-centric, cookie-cutter neighborhoods, not "diverse" enough, too many shopping centers, not enough row-homes. The funny thing is, every American city has retail wastelands, cookie-cutter neighborhoods, numerous shopping centers, etc. However in 2012, DorksRUs.com released a list of the top-ten most walkable cities in the US, and no Sunbelt cities made the list. Therefore, Sunbelt cities are not "cool" and must bow down to the excellence that is the non-Sunbelt city.

That's more or less your typical thread in the City vs. City forum for those who have never wandered their way into that part of this forum, FYI. Not every city can be San Francisco or New York, nor should every city strive to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,378 posts, read 2,301,972 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
While I don't disagree, I also wouldn't put a lot of stock into what a lot of the goofballs, particularly the ones in the General US forum have to say about Raleigh, or Charlotte, or really any Sunbelt city not named Miami or New Orleans, sometimes Atlanta depending on who is the thread starter.

I read it all the time. Sunbelt cities are too car-centric, cookie-cutter neighborhoods, not "diverse" enough, too many shopping centers, not enough row-homes. The funny thing is, every American city has retail wastelands, cookie-cutter neighborhoods, numerous shopping centers, etc. However in 2012, DorksRUs.com released a list of the top-ten most walkable cities in the US, and no Sunbelt cities made the list. Therefore, Sunbelt cities are not "cool" and must bow down to the excellence that is the non-Sunbelt city.

That's more or less your typical thread in the City vs. City forum for those who have never wandered their way into that part of this forum, FYI. Not every city can be San Francisco or New York, nor should every city strive to be.
all true.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,378 posts, read 2,301,972 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

And then you have places like Raleigh. Fewer rednecks, for sure. But Raleigh just feels like a "fake" city that was built to appease the North Carolina elite and the transplants who came here to work in the Triangle. Sure, there are places to go, places to shop and places to eat, but it still feels...well..."boring." Bland. Like everything got built because it kinda had to be, as a natural progression...


You have Raleigh confused with Charlotte.


Anywho... I'm a fan of my state. I'm a fan of the CarolinaS. I'm a fan of the south.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,055,243 times
Reputation: 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I don't live in NC, but I do want to address your "redneck" comments. I'm quite offended because my family and I are rednecks. We love trucks and camo. We love our 4 wheelers and side by sides. We love just cruising down old dirt roads.

Contrary to your belief, we are not all stupid. I graduated high school in 3 yrs with honors. Received my college degree while working full time (at a bank-not Walmart) and raising my 3 kids. I passed my exams to become a life/accident/health producer after studying for only 10 days. My GPA is 3.8. My brother is a big shot in corrections and is also a leader in CERT which is a specialized emergency team that handle riots etc. His wife works at a college hefe in VT.
My nephew holds his bachelor's degree and is a cop. His wife is a pharmacist (had a 4.0 GPA throughout.) My other nephew will be graduating with his bachelor's this Spring. My son is a corrections officer. He gets pd VERY well. My daughter works for a company making sure the elderly are well taken care of.

So, there, with just 1 family I blew your theory right out of the water. Rednecks are also some of the hardest and most honest people you will ever meet. Get your nose out of the air and stop judging people. People who work at Walmart are, at least, working and taking care of their families.

Hate NC so much, move!
You didn't blow anything out of the water. You make a fashion statement with camo just as much as a woman walking down the street in stilettos and a mini-skirt. Your and her accomplishments can't be seen...both your clothes can. You absolutely say something with camo. You may object to it, but nevertheless, it speaks to others. Just as your toys do. A person with a large book collection and a Prius says one thing to others; and a person with 4 wheelers, ATVs etc, says something different to others.

As they say, presentation is everything. And you really didn't say anything about your blood relations valuing education - nothing you said needs a degree. You only mentioned that one is married to a pharmacist.

Nothing blown out of the water at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 09:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,413 times
Reputation: 10
I suggest trying to find a way to travel overseas ......you definitely could use some exposure to places outside of NC . You make me think of a friend's brother who despised the USA until he spent time in the USSR ( before it split up ) .Sounds like you also need to find a social circle that will engage you mentally . Any interest in Conservation ? Women's issues ? Third World Women's issues ?You may despise religion but a trip with a church to Haiti has had Life changing effects for many people . Joining others to engage in making the World a better place will hopefully help you find people who do not seem so shallow .
I wish you well!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 09:33 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,055,243 times
Reputation: 4374
And OP, there's no reason to apologize. You were spot on. I could talk about crud that I saw/experienced up north (where I come from), including trying to welcome a new person to the neighborhood with cookies and she literally slammed the door in my face.

Nothing wrong with seeing what's wrong around you in your native area. Don't let people tell you you're wrong for it. Someday I hope we all meet in the middle: no door slammers or camo. (Or, for that matter, young white people trying to look like Masia Warriors with huge holes in their ears).

Keep questioning what's around you. Don't let complacency sink in. Or apologize for calling people out on things. We need people like you to keep on questioning. And NOT be silenced because it's too hard when others criticize. The price of apathy is too great. And it's so easy to slip into.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 1,055,243 times
Reputation: 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballxlv View Post
I suggest trying to find a way to travel overseas ......you definitely could use some exposure to places outside of NC .
OP's first line said they traveled a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Garbage, NC
3,125 posts, read 2,540,773 times
Reputation: 8199
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
You have Raleigh confused with Charlotte.


Anywho... I'm a fan of my state. I'm a fan of the CarolinaS. I'm a fan of the south.
No, I don't. I'm not a fan of either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
You didn't blow anything out of the water. You make a fashion statement with camo just as much as a woman walking down the street in stilettos and a mini-skirt. Your and her accomplishments can't be seen...both your clothes can. You absolutely say something with camo. You may object to it, but nevertheless, it speaks to others. Just as your toys do. A person with a large book collection and a Prius says one thing to others; and a person with 4 wheelers, ATVs etc, says something different to others.

As they say, presentation is everything. And you really didn't say anything about your blood relations valuing education - nothing you said needs a degree. You only mentioned that one is married to a pharmacist.

Nothing blown out of the water at all.
Agreed. I don't have a problem with 4-wheelers...they're fun!! But if you're walking around town in camo gear..sorry, I think that's stupid. If you have a shiny, bright red pickup truck that is chromed out with huge chrome rims, why on earth did you add a camo pinstripe to it? To help you blend into the woods??

I understand people who live the country life. I know legit people who hunt...and they do it in the '95 beat-up, worn-out truck and their worn-out jeans and T-shirts because they don't want to mess up their "nice" truck and their "nice" clothes by taking them hunting. Then, I know the "fake" and annoying rednecks that fill this area of the state...who wear camo T-shirts, jackets, etc. everywhere, who apply stupid camo crap to their vehicles...I honestly thought "camo" was meant to help you blend into the woods to go hunting, but I've learned that it's supposed to make you stand out to others who apparently also think it's "cool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
And OP, there's no reason to apologize. You were spot on. I could talk about crud that I saw/experienced up north (where I come from), including trying to welcome a new person to the neighborhood with cookies and she literally slammed the door in my face.

Nothing wrong with seeing what's wrong around you in your native area. Don't let people tell you you're wrong for it. Someday I hope we all meet in the middle: no door slammers or camo. (Or, for that matter, young white people trying to look like Masia Warriors with huge holes in their ears).

Keep questioning what's around you. Don't let complacency sink in. Or apologize for calling people out on things. We need people like you to keep on questioning. And NOT be silenced because it's too hard when others criticize. The price of apathy is too great. And it's so easy to slip into.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Garbage, NC
3,125 posts, read 2,540,773 times
Reputation: 8199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I don't live in NC, but I do want to address your "redneck" comments. I'm quite offended because my family and I are rednecks. We love trucks and camo. We love our 4 wheelers and side by sides. We love just cruising down old dirt roads.

Contrary to your belief, we are not all stupid. I graduated high school in 3 yrs with honors. Received my college degree while working full time (at a bank-not Walmart) and raising my 3 kids. I passed my exams to become a life/accident/health producer after studying for only 10 days. My GPA is 3.8. My brother is a big shot in corrections and is also a leader in CERT which is a specialized emergency team that handle riots etc. His wife works at a college hefe in VT.
My nephew holds his bachelor's degree and is a cop. His wife is a pharmacist (had a 4.0 GPA throughout.) My other nephew will be graduating with his bachelor's this Spring. My son is a corrections officer. He gets pd VERY well. My daughter works for a company making sure the elderly are well taken care of.

So, there, with just 1 family I blew your theory right out of the water. Rednecks are also some of the hardest and most honest people you will ever meet. Get your nose out of the air and stop judging people. People who work at Walmart are, at least, working and taking care of their families.

Hate NC so much, move!
I never said rednecks are stupid. I said that I think their loud trucks and camo are stupid. And I do.

It's also kinda funny that your children are adults, but you're talking about your GPA in a present tense. Did you go back to school or something? If so, congrats.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2017, 01:49 PM
 
495 posts, read 391,013 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
You didn't blow anything out of the water. You make a fashion statement with camo just as much as a woman walking down the street in stilettos and a mini-skirt. Your and her accomplishments can't be seen...both your clothes can. You absolutely say something with camo. You may object to it, but nevertheless, it speaks to others. Just as your toys do. A person with a large book collection and a Prius says one thing to others; and a person with 4 wheelers, ATVs etc, says something different to others.

As they say, presentation is everything. And you really didn't say anything about your blood relations valuing education - nothing you said needs a degree. You only mentioned that one is married to a pharmacist.

Nothing blown out of the water at all.
Really? Your response is ridiculous. Those I mentioned DO have college degrees and most of them ARE blood relations.

How about not judging a book by it's cover? That's quite a common statement. Those that are prejudice and are judgmental miss out on a lot of great people. Your loss, not mine. Have a great day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top