Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times

Advertisements

We relocated to NC last year, east of the Raleigh area. For the most part I think people are friendly here, much more so than in MI which is where we came from. Remember, people will treat you as you treat them! This is true no matter where you are. I have more people treating me kind and offering me advice on the area than I ever expected! We are glad we made the change and are looking forward to living our lives here. BUT.....life is different here than in the north and east, so just be open to that. Good luck and if you should happen to relocate, enjoy the beauty of the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 AM

42 posts, read 76,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
We are generally nice and polite and help others in need as is ingrained in our Southern culture. But, we do not like people coming here and trying to change us or ruining the land around us. Deep down we find most Yankees extremely annoying, but many somehow muster the strength to tolerate you, kind of like the brother-in-law who came for Thanksgiving and never left. And one piece of advice - NEVER trample on our heritage. Hope this valuable insight helps.

Cornbread, you are a hoot! Thanks for providing all of us a good chuckle, in addition (of course) to your self proclaimed "valuable insight."

Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
First off, ignore the negative comments in this thread....

My family has been down here 4 years, Chapel Hill area, working at Duke, and we will never go back to the NE.

I have never encountered any people here, natives or transplant, that treated us differently because we were from "away" ( Actually felt more of THAT up North when we lived in Maine, try being from "away" up there )

There are alot of different cultures here now, and again, I don't see non-religious folks being excluded from anything but religious activities...

Chapel Hill schools are among the best in the country, not just the state. Have no fear of sending your kids to public school there, or elsewhere in Orange County. Durham schools as a rule aren't rated as high, but there are some gems in Durham as well. The folks in this thread who harp on teaching to the test must not have lived elsewhere, because with No Child Left Behind, EVERY STATE has some form of EOG testing.....

Hard to generalize about folks anywhere, but we have moved a fair bit and have never been surrounded by nicer people at any time...

Quality of life is tremendous, kids can be outside year round, plenty of recreational activities, sports, theater, music...you name it

I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Other folks have already said this but it bears repeating, people who move here and our miserable need to take a hard look at themselves and re-examine their expectations.

I think it is sad when someone that has had a bad experience in NC cannot post about it without getting jumped on. Me ( lived there two years) and several people I know had bad experiences and basically told we were not allowed to post them here. . Not everyone had problems due to their own actions, many I know had others actions upon them that made them want to leave. I think it is beneficial to hear both sides of the stories not just the pretty ones.

Last edited by Nea1; 12-30-2006 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Talking Directed to Cornbread!

Hi Cornbread,
Just wanted to say that sometimes your posts offend me, being as we relocated to NC last year......BUT, after reading some of the negative posts that other "newcomers" have posted, I am beginning to understand. Just remember that not all newcomers want to change NC, some of us embrace the south and the charm that it offers! Happy New Year!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 38,520 times
Default great people

I would say I am well-traveled having been a military brat growing up. went to college and settled in NC, mostly in the RTP area (Raleigh, Chapel Hill & Cary). I had homes in all 3 cities and loved them all.

I can tell you that from a stand point of someone who's moved so much all their life, you will find people to be whatever anywhere you go. In general though I would be comfortable saying that NC has lots of beautiful places to live and although things may be a bit slower down here in the south if you are from a bigger city, NC people are generally very nice. You will find all sorts of different people here depending on the area and the economy. Cary is probably the nicest, cleanest, crime-free place, perfect for couples with children kind of place to live. Practically everything about the town is beaming with newness and very high-tech, both residents and the way the town is organized (owned 2 homes in Cary).

Chapel Hill is a very unique, small, old-money artsy place, w/great schools. Raleigh has old money and new. The downtown is very collegiate due to NC State and isn't crime high like Durham, although some parts of Durham is very nice. I had 1 home in Chapel Hill and 1 in Durham, and rented a townhome in Raleigh. If you live in any one of these cities, you can go from Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill.. all within 30 minutes.

When I moved to FL in 2004, I missed NC and maybe the RTP area is a unique place with all the college activities 20+ age group, professional 30 something crowd... I don't know.... compared to FL, which seemed to have mostly retired aged people or non-professionals that were in the lower salary bracket. Nothing wrong with that but usually retirees and lower income people do not want to improve their community that require tax raises (better school system, organized township, better service, new businesses etc...). Not very progressive.

I can't speak for the small town I am in now (where Belmont Abbey college is), because I have just been here for 1 week but the RTP area of NC is very much progressive yet safe, with still a hint of southern charm and beauty. It offers a good mix for anyone from college age, single, couple, families.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM

219 posts, read 853,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
Hi! My wife and I are considering moving to Durham (Duke) or Chapel Hill (UNC) for graduate school. We wanted to get an idea of what the area is like and how the people are. I have some specific questions:

- Some people we know who have lived in NC suggested that it wasn't easy for them getting accepted by the "natives" from NC. To what extent is that correct?
- Some people suggested that people in NC aren't very accepting of different religions & cultures. Is that true? We're catholic and don't go church every Sunday
- The term that best describes Fort Collins, Colorado (the place where we live now) is "wide streets, narrow minds." What term would describe Durham or Chapel Hill?
- We are originally from Indiana: Are the people in NC as friendly as they are in Indiana?
- There's a lot of discussion about Duke and the relationship the school has to Durham and it's citizens. To what extent is that problematic?
- How are the K-12 schools in either city? Are many new schools being built?
- What is the quality of life like? What is the landscape like?

Thank you so much for your help!
The wife and I have been taking our vaction/s to NC/SC for the past ten years.
We have stopped in a number of places in NC and I can't say we have one bad experience in any of them.
We don't even drive through (from NJ). We look forward to stopping in a little town called Newton Grove. Great people. Great Church.
When we talk to people, the first thing they ask is where are you from.
Next.............when are gonna move down here?
My wife is a big city girl but since traveling south.............she loves it more than I do.
When she first met the folks in NC she wanted to know what was wrong with them. Why are they so friendly and helpful.
That is the NC folks.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
How would someone from Lake Norman even come in contact with a NC native? Lake Norman area, Mooresville, down to Huntersville are more transplant than anything!! And Charlotte (city limits) is almost nothing but transplants! So you basically have a beef with how *insert name of state they came from* transplants have treated you, how does that reflect poorly upon NC itself?

I lived in Charlotte, and had some pleasant encounters with people, and some very UNpleasant ones which were usually with transplants from the NE for some reason, as far as having to flee our apartment in Charlotte before we even found a home to buy because neighborhood kids were terrorizing our 7 year old son and their parents couldnt understand why we kept showing up at their door expecting them to do something about it. They were from NY and NJ.
I live in Mount Holly of Gaston County now and its light years apart from most of the Charlotte area. I've met most of me neighbors on my street and I havent even moved in yet, I've just been there working on it and remodeling for a month or so and people stop by to say hi and chat and have offered to help me should I need anything. Eating out at a local restaraunt you see people who know one another bump into each other and chat it up. But above all people are very genuine and kind. My wife bumped into a Gastonia native at work and introduced him to me, next thing we know they're inviting us to their house and our kids are playing with their kids and he's helping me work on my house since he's in construction. Its like a friendship born quicker than any I ever had in FL.

Busymomof3 I just think you live in transplant-ville and have missed out on what native NC'ers have to offer, I'm sorry. But I hope you never move any further south trying to escape NC because if you think humidity in NC is bad you don't know anything til you cross over inot GA or FL, hahahaha
OMG...do I agree with THAT!! lol

Old 03-08-2007, 04:50 PM

27 posts, read 89,368 times
this is to the couple who love newton grove.we are from upstate ny saratoga springs. we will be moving to the grove in june.we love it to.we just purchase are NEW MODULAR .we can not wait to get out of ny. it really is a small world

Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,573 times
Lovesmountains, skipstone, and friendnc, and a few others whose names escape me.....

thanks so much for your posts. we are moving back to be near aging parents. But it is bittersweet. We have lived in the midwest for almost 15 years and love it. The people are absolutely wonderful- warm and accepting. I even love the harsh winters. I have been very concerned about finding that same friendly atmosphere in the south. But you all made me feel very hopeful about our move.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 AM

219 posts, read 853,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateal View Post
this is to the couple who love newton grove.we are from upstate ny saratoga springs. we will be moving to the grove in june.we love it to.we just purchase are NEW MODULAR .we can not wait to get out of ny. it really is a small world
Upstate,
Just found your post (I'm not real quick with this computer stuff).
It's June and HOPEFULLY you are in or on your way to Newton Grove.
We were down there in May............on our way to put a deposit on a place in Shallotte.
We both just love Newton Grove. It is just a little too rural for two oldies like us.
Twenty years ago?
I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Best of luck.
If our move goes off............waiting to sell this joint here.............we will be in Shallotte in August or September.
Dennis and Judy
Woodlynne NJ (for now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina