Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times

Advertisements

Well, this is a very interesting thread. I probably didn't need to post the thread inquiring as to whether NC is liberal. Somehow, based on this thread, I think not.

Also, I am astounded that people still refer to Northerners as Yankees. Is this just done in jest, or is there actually some seriousness in it? ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
For some people, Yankee is said with distaste. For most though (including myself) it's just another word for Northerner. Nothing more, nothing less. *shrug* No big deal.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, this is a very interesting thread. I probably didn't need to post the thread inquiring as to whether NC is liberal. Somehow, based on this thread, I think not.

Also, I am astounded that people still refer to Northerners as Yankees. Is this just done in jest, or is there actually some seriousness in it? ,
Well base on your other post in another thread you refer to yourself as a yankee
Quote:
I'm a Northerner, I took my time to check things out. It's what a Yankee is all about. Smarter, faster, gets to the heart of the matter quickly.
seems quite hypocrtical and if yankee is such a derogratory term then I doubt it would be used for a baseball team

Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Saw a white truck yesterday on Speedway Blvd with a sticker on the hitch...black background and white print saying, "Yankees go home" and it wasn't in reference to the baseball team. I posted this in another forum and someone had said you'd be oblivious if you didn't see these sorts of things. He also noted that he had seen one himself not long ago saying, "Happiness is a northbound yankee". There might be a bit of jest in it but I would say there's mostly bitterness behind it as well.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,737 times
I have lived in North Carolina, Virginia, Montana and Vermont, and from my personal experience, there are friendly, approachable people everywhere, though I probably had the most difficult time meeting people in Montana, as I was actually told outright that we out of staters should move back from whence we came several times!

I moved to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area about 12 years ago and that's where my husband and I decided to settle. We've never regretted it. People have been very friendly and we have a large, active social circle. Some of those in our circle were born and raised in the area, so I don't find the "natives" to be stand-offish at all.

Though we've lived in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Apex and Durham, and found advantages to all of these, we decided to settle for the long haul in Chapel Hill because the school system is excellent, and we like the quirky, college town vibe. We've never been at a loss for good employment, the cost of living is reasonable compared to the Northeast, and the pace is laid back. The presence of three world class universities and Research Triangle Park gives the area a kind of mellow sophistication. It also feels very family oriented, as many people end up settling here to raise their children.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymomof3 View Post
CG: Ironically, we just moved to Charlotte from Denver...and we are already planning our move back...I wish I had listened to those with experience and stayed put in Colorado!
I'm planning on leaving the chicagoland area soon and moving to Charlotte. What is it you don't like?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRED View Post
I'm planning on leaving the chicagoland area soon and moving to Charlotte. What is it you don't like?
Given that her post was made back in December, I guess the question is did she make it back?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
maybe she walked back lol

Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,593 times
I am a single mother of a 14 & 7 year old who is considering relocating to Durham. I have had several opportunities to visit and was quite frankly unimpressed. I also have been told that the cost of living is less, but with the price of gas (on my last trip being 2.92 )I wonder if it really is cheaper. Also, I am was surprised that Duke's campus sits in the middle of what I would consider a ghetto. Any positve feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
I moved to Raleigh from a North Shore Chicago Suburb a few years ago and I like it. People from Charlotte definitly aren't as friendly as they are in Raleigh. Durham is not a place in which you want to live unless you are in the Hope Valley Country Club area. The Duke campus is gorgeous and is in it own bubble from Durham. Hearing all these awful accounts of life in NC frankly shocks me, cause unless you are going to Charlotte everyone's very nice and the quality of life is great. Even though I lived in Chicagoland for 21 years, I now find myself muttering "yankee" at times, mainly due to the fact that all the people moving in are constantly complaining about the way things are done here and how "well in New York we do ____". It just gets tiring and makes you want to tell them to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina