Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 PM

12 posts, read 11,016 times

Advertisements

My husband is applying for school in Troy. We know we don't want to live in Troy, and it looks like there are quite a few neighboring cities and towns.

Obviously finding employment is key, and I'm trying to determine if I should focus my efforts towards Charlotte or Greensboro.

We enjoy outdoors, hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, etc... and would want to live where that is easily accessible. We would love to have a little bit of land and do not want to live in a big city. We both want to be around 20-30 minutes, or less, commute time.

Are there any areas that we should look? Anything to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,303,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cllgefrk13 View Post
My husband is applying for school in Troy. We know we don't want to live in Troy, and it looks like there are quite a few neighboring cities and towns.
Where is your husband attending school? Montgomery Community College?

Quote:
Obviously finding employment is key, and I'm trying to determine if I should focus my efforts towards Charlotte or Greensboro.
If employment is the key, why not look at community colleges in larger cities?

Quote:
We enjoy outdoors, hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, etc... and would want to live where that is easily accessible. We would love to have a little bit of land and do not want to live in a big city. We both want to be around 20-30 minutes, or less, commute time.
20 to 30 minutes from his school? Troy is an hour and a half from Charlotte and an hour from Greensboro.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,474,724 times
Maybe Asheboro or Albemarle. Greensboro, Charlotte, and even their suburbs are an hour or more commute from Troy.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Yes, MCC has a speciality program he wants to attend. We would look for housing between Troy and where I found a job, so both would be around 30 minutes hopefully (in opposite directions!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Where is your husband attending school? Montgomery Community College?

If employment is the key, why not look at community colleges in larger cities?

20 to 30 minutes from his school? Troy is an hour and a half from Charlotte and an hour from Greensboro.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Thanks, I will take a look at those areas. Our plan would be to live between Troy and wherever I found a job. From what I can tell, there doesn't appear to be many professional level positions for my skill set close to Troy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Maybe Asheboro or Albemarle. Greensboro, Charlotte, and even their suburbs are an hour or more commute from Troy.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will take a look at those areas. Our plan would be to live between Troy and wherever I found a job. From what I can tell, there doesn't appear to be many professional level positions for my skill set close to Troy.
No, and there most likely won't be in Albemarle or Asheboro either. I assume he's doing the gunsmith program? Greensboro or Winston-Salem will be your best bet for a job that gives each of you a 30 minute (plus or minus) commute. Around Asheboro, Thomasville or Archdale might be a good places to look for housing, if you find work in Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Working in Charlotte would give you a pretty miserable commute, imo.

Last edited by BC1960; 04-24-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times
Is MCC, the only community college in this state that offers the program and have you tried Indeed NC?
I'm assuming he just going to school and paying the out of state tuition, having him drive more than hour for school doesn't seem feasible for economic and learning and assuming you are the bread winner. The COL will be higher the bigger the metro and choose a place that is safe and affordable.
Agree with others the closest bigger cities is Asheboro, Albermarle and Rockingham. You might also look into Concord but commute will still be long but not as heavy traffic as living in Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No, and there most likely won't be in Albemarle or Asheboro either. I assume he's doing the gunsmith program? Greensboro or Winston-Salem will be your best bet for a job that gives each of you a 30 minute (plus or minus) commute. Around Asheboro, Thomasville or Archdale might be a good places to look for housing, if you find work in Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Working in Charlotte would give you a pretty miserable commute, imo.
Thanks that is very helpful. On a map it looks about the same distance from Charlotte or Greensboro. We don't want to live in the city so would look for housing in a smaller town. He is interested in the gunsmith program which really limits where we could move to. He hasn't been accepted yet so we are trying to get a feel for the areas.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Is MCC, the only community college in this state that offers the program and have you tried Indeed NC?
I'm assuming he just going to school and paying the out of state tuition, having him drive more than hour for school doesn't seem feasible for economic and learning and assuming you are the bread winner. The COL will be higher the bigger the metro and choose a place that is safe and affordable.
Agree with others the closest bigger cities is Asheboro, Albermarle and Rockingham. You might also look into Concord but commute will still be long but not as heavy traffic as living in Charlotte.
I appreciate your feedback. He's interested in gunsmithing so there aren't many places to attend. In a perfect world, we would find a place to live that is about halfway between where I work and he goes to school so neither of us has a terrible commute.

Definitely don't want to live in the city and would love to have a little bit of land.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks that is very helpful. On a map it looks about the same distance from Charlotte or Greensboro. We don't want to live in the city so would look for housing in a smaller town. He is interested in the gunsmith program which really limits where we could move to. He hasn't been accepted yet so we are trying to get a feel for the areas.
Johnston Community College in Smithfield offers the gunsmith program as well (as do a couple of other CC's). http://www.johnstoncc.edu/continuing...nsmithing.aspx

Smithfield is close to Raleigh, which would be a much better place for you to find a job and give you each a shorter commute. Best of luck!

Edit: It looks like Montgomery has a much more in-depth program than Johnston, and I'm guessing, any of the other community colleges, so thats probably your only option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina