Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM

148 posts, read 238,812 times

Advertisements

So, I was reading in another thread about all of the bugs in NC, and I find it amazing that there can be so many bugs. Are there less bugs closer to the mountains, say Asheville? What about the coast, more or less bugs?

We don't believe in using any sort of pesticide or even chemical fertilizers in our yard (we use natural stuff) here in Portland Oregon, so if bug spray is a standard practice in NC, I am not sure if I would even want to go there on vacation. Please tell me that it is only bad in rural areas..... roaches, termites, and Chiggers, oh my.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 12:17 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
No. As my daughter says, "More woods, more bugs." Of, course there more bugs as you go towards the Gulf and the Missiissippi River. I grew up in the mountains near Asheville. There are bugs there. But I never paid any attention to them, unless I got stung, which was a couple times each summer. Really,they're nothing to be afriad of, just annoying.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:41 PM

41 posts, read 196,211 times
Smile Just another day with bugs

I have lived here most of my life. Been able to travel and even work in other places, so my response to bugs in NC will be measured against other places. Starting at the coast you have fire ants and mosquitoes mostly that are a pain. Both are easily avoided for the most part during the day. At night, normal precautions will prevent most from brothering you.

Middle part of the state is starting to see fire ants. Biggest problem there and in the foothill country is spiders. Again normal precautions should prevent any issues.

In the mountains, you have regular ants and spiders. Those ants love picnics so guard your picnic basket well. Spiders there and in the foothills can be widows, so some prior thought about dressing before hiking can help in having a good day outside.

One other creature that can be a problem if outdoors much - ticks. We do have them and they can cause health issues. I hike, camp and whitewater - so I check and then have someone else check me for ticks after I get back.

Other than those, most are normal (bees, flys, nats, etc..) being in the family of helping nature or being a pest. One joke here -- if you are down east and see people in their yards as you drive by waving at you, you might think they are being overly freely. Might be, but also could be waving away nats.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:47 PM

148 posts, read 238,812 times
Are the mosquitos out year round? Or only during summer?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,363 times
Can't speak for the rest of the state but in the mountains, only during the summer. And they are mainly near water, streams or lakes. You try not to have any stagnant water near your house. That attracts them.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:39 PM

41 posts, read 196,211 times
Default Bugs

On the coast, do not walk through the grass, else, you are going to be lunch. They mostly will stay in the grass until night time. Then, I have been camping on the outer banks and felt like B52s were coming in for a landing. I have one thing going for me, they generally do not like my blood preferring my brother. That's why I love to go camping with him

Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 AM

82 posts, read 394,355 times
Default Cave crickets in NC

What about the cave and/or camelback crickets? I actually have these in and around my house just outside of Chicago IL; they're the ugliest thing you've ever seen and impossible to kill because they jump quickly and then they're gone.

I went into a home in Asheville (while looking at properties) and was disgusted to see one and it was 3x bigger than in IL. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina