Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Get some ducks and any problem with June Bugs is solved.
Note to self: need ducks, bats, large bug swater, bug zapper, screened porch and don't brush up againts large grass, Queens Ann's lace or step in pine straw (to avoid chiggers).

Now do I need a pond for these ducks? If so, will I be defeating the purpose if I have a pond how will that up my mosquito population? Or was that where the bats come in, darn gotta go back and re-read posts! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 11:13 PM

80 posts, read 465,692 times
Ya need chickens instead of ducks (no pond needed) But If your luck is like mine you will end up with all roosters that crow all night , and they aint much for egg layin either

Oh yeah be careful of mites on chickens lol

Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Note to self: need ducks, bats, large bug swater, bug zapper, screened porch and don't brush up againts large grass, Queens Ann's lace or step in pine straw (to avoid chiggers).

Now do I need a pond for these ducks? If so, will I be defeating the purpose if I have a pond how will that up my mosquito population? Or was that where the bats come in, darn gotta go back and re-read posts! LOL
I just had grown Easter type, non-flying, white ducks. They were satisfied with a plastic kids pool for recreation.

Don't forget the Ladybugs. They love to eat the all the aphids in your garden. You can buy them by the thousands at the better garden stores.

Bats eat the mosquitoes and harmless snakes will keep your property free of rodents. Everyone has a role to play.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-02-2006 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Guinea fowl

I guess they ended up on the dinner plate; a neighbor of ours had a flock of them that ranged the neighborhood. They eat anything that might try to eat on you. They're also quite fearless. When the flock came into our yard, our dogs went on point, determined to check these odd creatures. In almost a military maneuver, the guineas swung and marched toward the dawgs. Fly and Spencer looked at me, looked at each other, decided that neither wanted to take one for the team, and fled into the house.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:45 AM

195 posts, read 217,524 times
My pure breed shepherd has got a few before.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
I'd heard of these things, but didn't believe they existed until I looked them up:

THE! AMAZING! HAND HELD! BUG ZAPPER!!!!!

http://www.seenontv.com/prod-pages/images1/BZ-NewAdd.jpg (broken link)

One reviewer writes:
"Most importantly, it gives out a most satisfying ZAP! when waved at an offending bug, whose charcoaled body then plummets to the earth, occasionally emitting a single forlorn wisp of smoke."

Kick.Butt. As a kid, I probably would have taken it after my little brother. Since I'm now an adult, it has to be put to more staid uses. Still, rather than escape the more pesky bugs (skeeters, wasps, hornets) in a flurry of pin-wheeling arms, I can "schwoosh!" that at them and watch as they spiral to the ground, hopefully with a tiny squeal of agony

[disclaimer: usually I'm on the bug's side, championing their beneficial uses. However, with some bugs it's a case of "hey! he started it!" so turnabout is fair play, IMO]

Old 06-03-2006, 03:37 AM

80 posts, read 465,692 times
LMAO that is pretty cool what will they think of next

Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
well I have the lamest reason for choosing charlotte over raleigh- I needed a pro football team

Also I am moving from Boston and after 15 years have a had enough- bring on the slower pace, lack of rude people, and no more noreasters (if you don't know what a noreaster is, consider yourself lucky!)

Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,670 times
Default Nc

Interesting what you said about Raleigh. I've lived there for 2 years, and couldn't want to leave.

Palm trees are native to the very southernmost point of NC, from about Wilmington south to the South Carolina border within about 12 miles of the ocean. The sabal palm is the tree that grows here. They aren't as large as they are in Florida, but they do grow. The beaches on the southern coast are very different than the beaches on the Outer Banks.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:32 PM

157 posts, read 1,303,442 times
Check out Clearwater Beach Florida (Tampa Bay). It's a barrier island so the are no mosquitos and rarely any flies, exceptional white sandy beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina