Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 12:43 AM

7 posts, read 31,946 times

Advertisements

We are very torn about a possible career move for my husband. He may have a really good job opportunity in Emporia and we really haven't heard a lot of good things about that area. We are leaning toward Roanoke Rapids as the place to live for him to commute, although I haven't read many good things about it either. Any other recommendations? Are there any cities that are better/more appropriate for a young active family?
We currently live in Raleigh and absolutely LOVE it here!! We have a preschooler and an infant, and are involved in a variety of activities. I'm an active community volunteer, my daughter goes to preschool and takes ballet, we frequent the museums, participate in playgroups, and love the variety of restaurants and nightlife. We are VERY spoiled by the lifestyle we have here, but could be willing to sacrifice *a little* for a good career move. I realize that no small town will ever offer the things that Raleigh does, but I'm hoping we can at least find a safe, clean, friendly town that we can make the most of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
Try searching for nearby places that may suit your needs.
Also search Emporia and you may find what you seek.
Good Luck!!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Bear in mind that living in one state and working in another will create tax headaches--if you're going to be in Roanoke Rapids, you might as well be in Virginia itself if that's where your income is coming from. Unfortunately, that whole region (regardless of state) is pretty dull. It would behoove you to compare income/sales tax rates in both states, since you'll be right on the border either way.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM

Default Roanoke Rapids

Thank you guys for your ideas. We've actually moved closer to making a decision. We went up to visit Emporia and Roanoke Rapids this week and were pretty impressed with RR!! So I think we've definitely decided that's where we will live if he takes the job. (Just by doing internet research, I couldn't find ANYTHING on the Virginia side that even compares, so we'll have to deal with the tax headaches!)

Roanoke Rapids seems like a great place for a family with young children, not so much for the 'young and single' adult. It has a wonderful small town feel and EVERY single person we encountered was friendly and helpful; definitely a slower pace of life. We spent the day with the sweet ladies of Wilkie Real Estate looking at houses. We saw some gorgeous houses and great neighborhoods. The weather was nice, so we saw a ton of children out and about in the neighborhoods. Contrary to what I expected, based on 'cost of living' comparison Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, the house in our price range in Roanoke Rapids are quite comparable to those in Raleigh, NOT cheaper. The only difference we saw was that you would get the same size house for the same price as a house in Raleigh with a bigger yard in Roanoke Rapids.

As with any small town, there were several businesses that apparently didn't make it and were abandoned scattered about town. However, I did see a JCPenny, Belk, Sears, Starbucks, and Walmart, among others. (I guess I can learn to live without a real mall or Target. lol) The 'downtown' area was really cute and charming. We enjoyed our dinner at David's, the downtown 'upscale' restaurant. Although they do not have a children's menu, they were quite accomodating to our two kids who had spent hours touring houses. (Normally we would never take our children to a 'fine dining' restaurant, but we were assured that David's was the place to go as most of the restaurants in town are chains.) We also heard the town has received a downtown revitalization grant, so more 'charm' is on the way! I think there's even a dance studio for my daughter!

It will definitely be a 'change of pace' for us, but I think we'll be able to make the most of it!

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2009 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,854 times
Im so glad you decided to move to Roanoke Rapids, Love it here, hope you make the most of it!! btw you should look into Cornerstone Christian School in RR.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Hi TylerRoRapNC!
Thanks for your reply! We're looking forward to the move! We'll check out the school!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 14,715 times
I know this was such an old thread, but I was wondering if you moved to RR and how you like it? How are the schools, area, etc.?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
Default hi there update on move pls

Hi there, we are also looking at relocating due to a job for my husband and were wondering if you moved/currently live in RR and how things have gone? I have school aged children and am concerned with the low school ratings and high crime ratings I've been reading. Can you tell me more please? Thank you in advance

Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 AM

17 posts, read 43,732 times
My husband's family has lived in RR for many generations. Crime is an issue and you will need to look at crime maps. There is a good reason why my husband's family seeks medical care outside of RR. Even in an emergency they drive because they know they may not get adequate care. It is rural and the only plus side I can see living there is being able to get on the lakes. Roanoke Rapids lake is there and then you are close to Lake Gaston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina