Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,719 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in mass,me and my family will like to go to nc to live ,but we dont know to much about the area,schools ,jobs, ect my husband is a truck driver and i am a bilingual social worker and have 3 kid two small and a teen ,so please reply back if you have any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 12:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,734,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMILA9874 View Post
I am currently living in mass,me and my family will like to go to nc to live ,but we dont know to much about the area,schools ,jobs, ect my husband is a truck driver and i am a bilingual social worker and have 3 kid two small and a teen ,so please reply back if you have any suggestions.
You really need more of a plan than just "we want to go to NC". WHY NC over other places?

Generally the thing to do when moving is to find and area with X, Y, and Z amenities that you like (preferably, in this day and age, a JOB lined up being numero uno), and move on behalf of the traits of the area, not simply "I want to move to NC [or wherever] but I don't know anything about the area." If you don't know anything about the area, why do you want to move here?!

What specific reasons are you looking to move, do you want urban/suburban/country, what expense range, what kind of terrain, what kind of atmosphere, etc...THOSE are the factors you need to consider, and once you make a checklinst of all of those and compare places that match your wants, if some places in NC are on the list, then you would look more closely into those places. But surely you aren't thinking "All of my problems will be solved if I go to NC" without any knowledge of specifics whatsoever??

Old 09-19-2009, 03:39 PM

51 posts, read 72,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You really need more of a plan than just "we want to go to NC". WHY NC over other places?

Generally the thing to do when moving is to find and area with X, Y, and Z amenities that you like (preferably, in this day and age, a JOB lined up being numero uno), and move on behalf of the traits of the area, not simply "I want to move to NC [or wherever] but I don't know anything about the area." If you don't know anything about the area, why do you want to move here?!

What specific reasons are you looking to move, do you want urban/suburban/country, what expense range, what kind of terrain, what kind of atmosphere, etc...THOSE are the factors you need to consider, and once you make a checklinst of all of those and compare places that match your wants, if some places in NC are on the list, then you would look more closely into those places. But surely you aren't thinking "All of my problems will be solved if I go to NC" without any knowledge of specifics whatsoever??
Whatever happened to southern hospitality?? Did it not occur to you Francois, that perhaps she just wants to provide a better life for her family than the current one that are currently living? I mean without having a clue about this woman, and her situation at all other than a few sentences on a blog...who or what gives you the authority or better yet, the audacity, to swoop down, and attempt to crush this woman's dreams? I mean really, why does she or anyone else have to answer your checklist of questions, in order to find out how YOU feel about N.C. Thats what its about..you live there, give us the rundown based on your opinion, if its not perfect because you dont have all the info needed to make a well informed decision, thats ok! I dont know if you intended to, but you come across as unwelcoming, and Im sure thats not how N.C. is...

That being said..I feel so strongly about this because I too am in the young ladys situation. I am tired of Jacksonville Florida (for a gazillion reasons, that I really dont feel like going into right this second) and Have a High school buddy that is living in Fayeteville and absolutely loves it..(no hes not military) he is in sales like I am. Anyways I would really love info on the area of Fayeteville and Raleigh..which one would be better for rasing a family, how are the schools (Middle and High) How are the race relations? WHich one has more for the kids to do? Thanks for any help given!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,734,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealmaker74 View Post
Whatever happened to southern hospitality?? Did it not occur to you Francois, that perhaps she just wants to provide a better life for her family than the current one that are currently living? I mean without having a clue about this woman, and her situation at all other than a few sentences on a blog...who or what gives you the authority or better yet, the audacity, to swoop down, and attempt to crush this woman's dreams?
I was not being inhospitable; I was asking her the same thing many others ask when people post very vague questions: What specifically is she looking for so we can tell her if she will find it here. I personally am quite curious as to someone who self-admittedly "knows nothing about the area" would pick somewhere as a destination to move to, and her answer might direct future responses. It might be that NC isn't even the best match for the things she is looking for--but we can't answer that without more information.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Whatever happened to southern hospitality?? Did it not occur to you Francois, that perhaps she just wants to provide a better life for her family than the current one that are currently living? I mean without having a clue about this woman, and her situation at all other than a few sentences on a blog...who or what gives you the authority or better yet, the audacity, to swoop down, and attempt to crush this woman's dreams? I mean really, why does she or anyone else have to answer your checklist of questions, in order to find out how YOU feel about N.C. Thats what its about..you live there, give us the rundown based on your opinion, if its not perfect because you dont have all the info needed to make a well informed decision, thats ok! I dont know if you intended to, but you come across as unwelcoming, and Im sure thats not how N.C. is...

That being said..I feel so strongly about this because I too am in the young ladys situation. I am tired of Jacksonville Florida (for a gazillion reasons, that I really dont feel like going into right this second) and Have a High school buddy that is living in Fayeteville and absolutely loves it..(no hes not military) he is in sales like I am. Anyways I would really love info on the area of Fayeteville and Raleigh..which one would be better for rasing a family, how are the schools (Middle and High) How are the race relations? WHich one has more for the kids to do? Thanks for any help given!
I do not think Francois was being unhospitable at all! His questions made perfect sense and if the OP answers them she will be better off in the long run for it.

I would like to add, these days, the best place to move to in NC is the city you can find a job in - not an easy task right now.

I would not take kids to Fayetteville over Raleigh for many reasons, but in particular the schools. Raleigh has some of the best schools in the state.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:13 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,354,070 times
Quote:

I think it's time for me to start posting here again.

heh...heh...heh....

Old 09-21-2009, 02:13 AM

51 posts, read 72,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I do not think Francois was being unhospitable at all! His questions made perfect sense and if the OP answers them she will be better off in the long run for it.

I would like to add, these days, the best place to move to in NC is the city you can find a job in - not an easy task right now.

I would not take kids to Fayetteville over Raleigh for many reasons, but in particular the schools. Raleigh has some of the best schools in the state.

As you all can see, Im new to these boards..and maybe Francois was just doing what everyone else does..but does that make it right? Like I said to outsiders, we would love to hear about your personal experiences...if we have more questions, then we would come back. OR even if after he gave her the 2o question routine, I still think at the end you could have gave her your opinion based on what info you had available..(IMO) OK..that being said..Fayetevill schools..not so good from what I hear...but classical middle, and Britt high have good scores, ratios, etc..and why would you not take kids to Fayeteville? My buddys daugther is 12..she is in second year of piano, has taken violin, played vollyeball? My daughter is 14 and would be going to Terry Parker High which Is very questionable..So whats so bad about Fayeteville? I mean come on we are comparing it to Jacksonville, FL?!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,354,070 times
Quote:
As you all can see, Im new to these boards..

Which would make it incumbent on you to get a feel for how these boards work before looking to pick a fight. Don't you think asking a list of questions would make it easier for those looking to help as opposed to assuming what that person wants? That old adage of "when you assume..." and all.

As far as that southern hospitality comment of yours, the southern hospitality did show through as Francois took the time to ask a list of questions in order to be of more assistance. I'd be more inclined to take out a map of North Carolina and either throw a dart or play "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" and say "THIS is the place for you". Francois didn't, instead opting to help that poster make a far more informed decision quicker.

You owe him an apology.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,422,807 times
Quote:
As you all can see, Im new to these boards..and maybe Francois was just doing what everyone else does..but does that make it right? Like I said to outsiders, we would love to hear about your personal experiences...if we have more questions, then we would come back. OR even if after he gave her the 2o question routine, I still think at the end you could have gave her your opinion based on what info you had available..(IMO) OK..that being said..Fayetevill schools..not so good from what I hear...but classical middle, and Britt high have good scores, ratios, etc..and why would you not take kids to Fayeteville? My buddys daugther is 12..she is in second year of piano, has taken violin, played vollyeball? My daughter is 14 and would be going to Terry Parker High which Is very questionable..So whats so bad about Fayeteville? I mean come on we are comparing it to Jacksonville, FL?!
Hello, I also agree that Francois wasn't being unwelcoming. In fact the city-data terms of service says
Quote:
Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise.

When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."
NC is a big state so knowing as much info up front can help us assist you better. What applies to one town or area may not be accurate for another part of the state. Facts are going to help you more than opinions. Everyone has different opinions about their ideal town. I would hate living in a small rural town but others love it. I won't tell you to avoid X,Y,Z cities because personally I don't like them. We want to find out what you like and what is important to you. Then as Francois said we can posters give specific feedback and point him/her to an area that may be a good fit for his/her family.

Quote:
Anyways I would really love info on the area of Fayeteville and Raleigh..which one would be better for rasing a family, how are the schools (Middle and High) How are the race relations? WHich one has more for the kids to do?
On all accounts Raleigh has a much better reputation than Fayetteville.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
I understand you are new but you have to understand some of us post here several hours a day in order to help others - we WANT to help - but you newcomers have to help us to help you by providing as much info as possible. Francois is a good poster, I can assure you there was nothing wrong with his response and no insult was intended.

In regards to Fayetteville versus Raleigh - if your kids education is your top priority I would choose Raleigh for the superior schools. You COULD eat hamburger if you want to, but I prefer steak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina