U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from OH. Born and raised in rural small towns. We've both decided that due to our line of work that NC has much more to offer to our career than anywhere in OH and its is where we want to live and raise our daughter. We have an 18 month old daughter and would like to move before she gets too much older. We pretty familiar with the coastal areas because we go down there 1 or 2 times a year for a getaway. But to live there id rather have a less tourist feel. We're both very outdoor type people, we like smaller towns but not in the middle of nowhere. An hour drive to the coast wouldn't bother us but not much further because we love ocean fishing and boating. Given that info, can anyone pinpoint an area they think would fit that description so I can narrow my search? Thanks everyone
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,768,006 times
What is the career that would offer much more in NC than OH? The coastal economy is highly reliant on tourism. North Carolina's largest metro areas are more than an hour from the coast. Wilmington, NC is the biggest city on the coast.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:55 AM

31,962 posts, read 73,573,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfd1557 View Post
...due to our line of work that NC has much more to offer to our career than anywhere in OH
...Given that info, can anyone pinpoint an area they think would fit that description
The city/town where you can find the best work situation (salary, benefits, etc).
Work in the rest of the desires around that.

For 95% of job relocating families the choices are one of the 3 bigger job markets.
If you have some special skill that actually pays well in small towns too... good for you.

So... what exactly is your line of work?

Quote:
An hour drive to the coast wouldn't bother us but not much further because ...
This requirement severely limits your options.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Status: "The honor system only works for people with honor." (set 10 days ago)

5,996 posts, read 3,615,595 times
Assuming you find a specific job opportunity that pay a good wage, New Bern might fit your criteria.

It's a decent size (about 30,000 population), with cultural attractions, water is all around it, and it's less than an hour from the ocean. The cost of living isn't terrible. It's also next to the Croatan National Forest.

//www.city-data.com/city/New-Be...-Carolina.html

A smaller scale version of a town (about 10,000 population) with many of the same attributes (water is all around on the Pamlico River, but it's a bit more than an hour to the ocean- closer to an hour and a half) is Washington (sometimes called "Little Washington"). It's also about half an hour's drive from Greenville (further inland), which is a booming college town that's steadily approaching 100,000 population.

//www.city-data.com/city/Washin...-Carolina.html

Both areas definitely have a rural feel once you get outside the towns. I would only recommend either of those with a job in hand. If you're thinking of moving there without a job, which you really don't want to do anywhere, I would especially not recommend it in either of those locations. I can't emphasize that enough.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 PM

5,369 posts, read 4,004,728 times
Job opportunities within an hour of the coast, outside of the tourism industry, are going to be just as limited if not moreso than what you'd find in rural OH. If you can be 2-3 hours from the coast your options open up dramatically.

Pretty much anywhere in NC is going to be closer to the ocean than you are in OH!

(que someone from the "General US" forum popping up with some minute difference in as-the-crow-flies distance from some obscure point in extreme eastern OH vs Murphy, NC in distance to the ocean....)

Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 AM

12,330 posts, read 23,148,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfd1557 View Post
We pretty familiar with the coastal areas because we go down there 1 or 2 times a year for a getaway. But to live there id rather have a less tourist feel. We're both very outdoor type people, we like smaller towns but not in the middle of nowhere. An hour drive to the coast wouldn't bother us but not much further because we love ocean fishing and boating.
It would have been most helpful to tell us your actual line of work. However, if you want to be close to the coast, I suggest the following as good towns for families which are not too "touristy". Newport, if you would have work near Morehead City. Richlands, if there is work in Jacksonville. Hampstead, Burgaw and Southport if the work is near Wilmington. If you do medical work, Greenville or Winterville is a good option, although they are further from the coast.

Except for New Bern and Washington, the smaller towns an hour away from the coast are more likely to have undesirable features like hog and poultry faming. So, I suggest sticking closer to the coast.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,484,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It would have been most helpful to tell us your actual line of work. However, if you want to be close to the coast, I suggest the following as good towns for families which are not too "touristy". Newport, if you would have work near Morehead City. Richlands, if there is work in Jacksonville. Hampstead, Burgaw and Southport if the work is near Wilmington. If you do medical work, Greenville or Winterville is a good option, although they are further from the coast.

Except for New Bern and Washington, the smaller towns an hour away from the coast are more likely to have undesirable features like hog and poultry faming. So, I suggest sticking closer to the coast.
Blueberry farming ... cotton ... tobacco

I'm from a small town an hour from the coast yes hog and poultry farming are around but it's not correct to imply everyone lives on top of or even around one.

Greenville Jacksonville Wilmington big ones come to mind

Then morehead city and new bern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina