Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,932 times

Advertisements

Just a little backdrop...my wife and I moved to Greenville back in November because she was offered and HR Director position that is paying her more than what that State could offer her, also we wanted to be closer to our family. When the company that I worked for in Raleigh closed and move to California, I felt that the move made sense. I felt that I didn't want her to miss out an the career opportunity plus I had a severance package from my former employer. I was able to find a job in Greenville, but not at the pay of my Raleigh job. I got a call from an agency in Raleigh that is doing a direct hire for a company and I have an job offer on the table for an wonderful opportunity in Raleigh that will pay me 15k more than what I'm making in Greenville. The benefits packages are paralell. My job in Greenville is just a job. The position in Raleigh is a career opportunity and from what I seen from the two times that I been to the office has been a good enviroment. The commute to work would be an hour and twenty minutes. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 04:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
Sure, especially if you think it's worth it. I have days when my commute is that long anyway.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:04 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
I would have a hard time making sense of why this would be a good idea, unless you have one or more of the following:

-You can telecommute most days of the week, then it might be an okay option.
-The job is just so outstanding that it is worth it (you at least have a positive sense about it, which is good). But it would have to be magnificently so.
-The number of hours that you're working is reduced to the point that the commute isn't longer than a typical workday at a place much closer to you're home.
-You're doing this temporarily and planning to move closer as soon as possible.

Couldn't you just move closer to your work and your wife find a job that's closer, or at least move somewhere in between? This seems like a miserable lifestyle to do on a long-term basis (and the cost and time of transportation would eat up the extra $15K, which will also be taxed at your highest tax bracket), but I guess I don't have the tolerance for this sort of thing that some people do.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-08-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
When I read your thread title my initial thought was no way, but as you have explained it I could see making it work.

How do you feel about driving? Is it something you hate or is it a chance to get a little time to yourself? I work from home, but have a commute of about 1: 30 to 2 hrs total daily with taking my kids to and from their school which is about 25 minutes away. I really don't mind it most of the time. On the rare day when I have to do it 3 times a day (after school practice or something) then it starts to grate. Otherwise it's a pretty pleasant drive and I'm happy to make things easier for them. We talk in the car and have a little chance to connect and on the way back by myself I can listen to the news.

Do you think you might move some place a little closer to Raleigh in the future?

If you accept and it turns out that the drive is a deal-breaker after doing it for awhile I guess you can probably always find another "just a job" in Greenville. I guess the worse thing that could happen is that you love your new job and your wife loves her job and neither one of you loves to drive.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-08-2017 at 06:30 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 05:15 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,234 times
It's not a feasible commute every day

It is reasonable if you can telecommute maybe show up a few days a week

I work in Durham and a co worker lives in blowing rock but she telecommutes some

Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 PM

174 posts, read 194,317 times
Coming here from the North East, 80 minutes each way seems fairly typical for a professional's commute. Audiobooks help fill the time.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Greenville is a decent place to live. It's getting better and is becoming more of a city every year. You could probably make it work for a while. The good thing is that 264 to Raleigh is normally easy driving.

Like someone else said, the worst that could happen would be you hate your commute. I'd say go for the job in Raleigh and stay in Greenville and see how you like it. That extra 15k living in Greenville would make a difference.

After a while, if you can't stand the drive, maybe you can find a cheap hotel closer to Raleigh to stay in for a couple of days a week (Wilson, Rocky Mount, or Raleigh) and then head back to Greenville on the weekends. Or you could find a new place to live in Wilson or Rocky Mount, since it would be about a 40-45 commute for the both of you each way. Maybe even finding a place in Farmville or Tarboro would cut down on your commute by 20 minutes and make it more bearable.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Greenville is a decent place to live. It's getting better and is becoming more of a city every year. You could probably make it work for a while. The good thing is that 264 to Raleigh is normally easy driving.

Like someone else said, the worst that could happen would be you hate your commute. I'd say go for the job in Raleigh and stay in Greenville and see how you like it. That extra 15k living in Greenville would make a difference.

After a while, if you can't stand the drive, maybe you can find a cheap hotel closer to Raleigh to stay in for a couple of days a week (Wilson, Rocky Mount, or Raleigh) and then head back to Greenville on the weekends. Or you could find a new place to live in Wilson or Rocky Mount, since it would be about a 40-45 commute for the both of you each way. Maybe even finding a place in Farmville or Tarboro would cut down on your commute by 20 minutes and make it more bearable.
Yeah but then they'd have to live in Wilson or Rocky Mount!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
Coming here from the North East, 80 minutes each way seems fairly typical for a professional's commute. Audiobooks help fill the time.
That may be true, but does that make an 80 minute commute each way desirable if there's a way to avoid that and still have a good career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Not every single corner of the path between Raleigh and Greenville is that horrible. If someone likes a pace that's busier than Wilson or Rocky Mount that part of the state may not be their first pick.

But realistically, I wonder how much someone is going to want to take advantage of more urban amenities after commuting two hours and forty minutes each day after a demanding day at work? Yes, location matters, and maybe some people would still want to be out on the town after all of that. But for many people it would be time to decompress at home after a long day and commute when the doing it all over again will be coming up so quickly.

On days off it would be good to closer to urban life, but at halfway between, it's still very accessible to bigger city amenities without being forced to travel that far each work day.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-08-2017 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Wilson isn't that bad. It can be boring as hell at times thanks to the mayor and city council whose vocabulary does not include the word "progress", but it's not as dangerous as Rocky Mount.

Considering that Wilson is nearly halfway between Raleigh and Greenville, that would be the best bet, IMO. Being at the crossroads of I-95, US-264, and I-795 (which is a shortcut to Wilmington for summer fun), you can't get a better geographic location than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina