Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 PM

186 posts, read 177,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Can we not start turning RTP into a fight now between Raleigh and Durham

That's a false statement anyways. Raleigh is government, education and tech. RedHat and Citrix are right in downtown for crying out loud. RTP isn't the only spot tech jobs are at in the Triangle as I'm sure you know.
Add Centennial Park into the mix. Not only it is in Raleigh, but almost adjacent to Downtown. In addition, if the South Saunders project (by Five Horizons) becomes the tech hub they envision it to become, then Downtown Raleigh, alone, will become a true technology center for the area.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:11 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Another big corp building a big tower in the Charlotte skyline. I've said it before and had some disagree but I don't care what anyone says, the Charlotte skyline punches well above it's weight for a sub 3million metro. It's amazing really. But also why it's so hard for any other city that's similiary sized or even the other Carolina cities to try and use it as a measuring stick for the health of their respective downtowns. The Charlotte market is prime for it.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Much of what we all view as important criteria on this forum is subjective and doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the realm of actually generating growth, commerce, culture, etc.

Charlotte puts great value in skylines, and light rail, etc, and I'm glad that the state has a good dose of that.

But equally relevant are the qualities in places that are small, and cherished and staunchly defended if put in jeopardy.

The Triangle is popular as a good place for young couples to raise a family.

The tech and university environment makes it a solid destination for innovation.

Charlotte folks and Raleigh folks don't know enough about the other town to be giving advice for each region's future, at least, if you want to taken seriously...

Here is the Triangle's HQ2 document which will reveal some of the statistics that look good for NC:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...html#document/
VERY well said... Both cities have come a long way and can learn from each other. I am not a native North Carolinian, but I am surely proud for what this state has accomplished as a whole. Great things have happened across the state and all the cities deserve kudos for their commitment to becoming great places.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Amazon was looking at the Triangle, not Raleigh. If Raleigh was a metro by itself it would not have been on Amazon's radar. None of the numbers you provided are for the City of Raleigh, so they're not worth discussing. Anyway, we'll just have to agree to disagree that the city of Raleigh is a stand alone tech hub.
That is an incorrect statement. They singled out Raleigh. If Raleigh was chosen, nearby municipalities would have benefited from it, but as far as Amazon HQ2 was concerned, Raleigh was one of the choices, not the Triangle.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Another big corp building a big tower in the Charlotte skyline. I've said it before and had some disagree but I don't care what anyone says, the Charlotte skyline punches well above it's weight for a sub 3million metro. It's amazing really. But also why it's so hard for any other city that's similiary sized or even the other Carolina cities to try and use it as a measuring stick for the health of their respective downtowns. The Charlotte market is prime for it.

Lots of people say this. And roofs follow jobs. So the building residential boom should continue. It’s crazy to me how much residential Austin and Nashville throw up but don’t nearly throw up the office Charlotte does.

Uptown has some of the strongest fundamentals also. Some of the healthiest demand, commands high premiums per sq. Ft, adding some of the most raw #of sq. Feet of office space and has among the best absorption rates. Mass transit fares are pretty high compared to a lot of cities and the parking in uptown is the most expensive in the country. So it’s definitely demand driven.

Also, Honeywell chose center city (SouthEnd), Lending Tree announced yesterday its expanding and consolidating jobs from the SC and CLT suburbs to uptown into their own building. Suburbs are starting to lose out to uptown and companies are even relocating from the ‘burbs to uptown.

very happy that décades of work is really snow balling into what was always envisioned

Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I'm excited and disappointed at the same time. Excited for another 30+ story building, but disappointed because it was probably the best opportunity to become the new tallest building in Charlotte, at least for the foreseeable future.

Also, seven stories of parking....
If you don't want it, please feel free to send it our way... We can certainly use something over 22 floors

Old 12-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Geez, the Charlotte skyline is growing so big and fast. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the towers built from 2014-2020 completely dwarf the skyline of any other Carolina city.
That is an understatement Charlotte's high-rise activity is phenomenal, IMO

Old 12-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The photo had clipped a lot of downtown. Here is the entire downtown Greensboro.yeah many cities look smaller than their population while some look larger. Richmond looks large for its size. I actually think Raleigh has a small skyline for its size.
Raleigh's skyline is underwhelming, IMHO. If we had 3-4 buildings over 500ft, nicely placed around Downtown, I would have been less vocal about our unimpressive skyline. Sometimes, there are photographers who make our skyline look decent. Not the most recent photos, but then again no major changes have happened lately:

Image is courtesy of NCSU (???)

Image is courtesy of Chris Pippen

Image is courtesy of Skyline Scenes

Image is courtesy of the News & Observer

Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
Raleigh's skyline is underwhelming, IMHO. If we had 3-4 buildings over 500ft, nicely placed around Downtown, I would have been less vocal about our unimpressive skyline. Sometimes, there are photographers who make our skyline look decent. Not the most recent photos, but then again no major changes have happened lately:

Image is courtesy of NCSU (???)

Image is courtesy of Skyline Scenes

Image is courtesy of the News & Observer
I think that's what's missing. Three towers 40 plus stories would put Raleigh’s skyline close to what Charlotte's looked like in the mid 90s. Don't Raleigh have height limits? Raleigh's skyline is way ahead of Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Durham but you're right. It's underwhelming for a city its size. Durham also has a small skyline for its size and in fact ranks 5th behind Greensboro and Winston-Salem's skyline even with the two new towers that have gone up. Durham also has the smallest downtown of the big 5 NC cities.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Duke Energy to build 39-story uptown tower, sell two buildings

Duke Energy Corp. (NYSE: DUK) will build a 39-story office tower to house about 3,600 employees directly across South Tryon Street from its Duke Energy Center headquarters.

A Duke spokesman says the company does not yet have a final cost estimate for construction, as some details of the tower are still being worked out.

Duke will be the only corporate tenant in the 1 million-square-foot building, the spokesman says.
There will be 25,000 square feet of retail space available on the ground floor and a seven-level, above-ground parking garage on the same site.

The new building will allow Duke to consolidate almost all of the company's roughly 6,000 Charlotte employees there and at its headquarters. Duke will put on the market its 401 S. College St. building — on the same block as the Charlotte Convention Center — and its old headquarters at 526 S. Church St.
It will also exit its lease of several floors at 400 S. Tryon St.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ower-sell.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina