Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 AM

459 posts, read 373,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
It is also interesting that Phase 3 is envisioned to be completed in 5 years from now. In its proposed form it will feature up to 700 rental units and up to 12 stories of office space, so 5 years from now doesn't sound bad, considering that further review is requested and the rezoning decision has been postponed for next month. The good thing is that some people in the Planning Commission actually get it and want to encourage density and heights prior to improvements to public transit. I find it hard to believe that the re-zoning to 40 floors isn't going to happen, although with Raleigh's "leadership" anything is possible, even though they are smart enough to understand the cost of not getting this project done in its entirety. Anything over 400 residential units on that lot would be a huge improvement and strengthen Glenwood South's ever-increasing residential base. Let's see if the Wake County Operations will become Phase 4
You can't pay for public transportation if there's no people to pay for it. Not sure why this logic escaped the city government for so long.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:58 AM

186 posts, read 177,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah it looks like if approved, phase 3 will have to around 40 floors. 6-9 floors of parking, 12 office, and the rest residential with that many predicted units? Yep it's gonna be tall. Sounds like it could potentially be a duel tower project as well as a seperate hotel was mentioned as a possibility. I feel like Kane may go with his most ambitious design yet for this tower as it'll likely be the crown jewel of his portfolio. Something special for the northern entrance into downtown.
I have a feeling that this will look more like Tower 4 and The Walter, in North Hills, with a residential and an office building adjacent to each other. Whatever it is, I hope that the street level experience will be great because let's face it, it wasn't that good before. It will be a challenge, but it is doable. The office component is very important, too, since more day traffic will be needed for the surrounding business to survive, especially the lunch crowd. I can also see workers hitting Publix for some groceries before they get home.

Before we even hear about Phase 4 - at this moment a mere speculation - I wonder about another vision/possibility that may get announced soon. The NC Association of County Commissioners parcel is not far from Phase 3 (and Phase 4) and from what we heard after the fire at The Metropolitan they want to sell to a private developer for a high-rise building. They were supposed to announce something this year. Well, we all know what "high-rise" means in Raleigh these days, so we can expect either a 12-story, which is what that property is currently zoned for, or maybe a 20-story building, if we are lucky. It will be interesting to see how Dawson Str will benefit from Smokey Hollow and the surrounding developments, but given the increased density I expect nothing less than a transformation. There are several parcels zoned for 12 and 20 floors and it is a matter of time before someone realizes the potential here.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
You can't pay for public transportation if there's no people to pay for it. Not sure why this logic escaped the city government for so long.
Amen to that!!! It will be people and businesses that will make public transportation a viable reality. Many years ago I had the opportunity to talk to a council man who was perceived as anti-transit and anti-light rail. He explained to me that he is for public public and that he really wants to see a viable light rail line in Raleigh, but the existing visions didn't serve the people in a way that he could justify the city paying so much for a line that was doomed to fail. He wanted much higher densities, especially Downtown, plus bigger companies moving to the core of the city. Back then, RBC Centura wasn't even a possibility. How right he was!!!

Anyway, in many ways we have come a very long way and I am happy with the progress, but I hate promises made to the public for the purpose of collecting votes. There are some great initiatives out there (i.e. R Line), but city leaders need to understand how important higher densities are, especially Downtown. It isn't only about what we can afford now, but also about what we can't afford to lose - hence my non-stop complaining about the stupid height limits. I am hoping that John Kane and his partners will actually deliver a 40-story residential tower and pave the road for more re-zoning in the CBD. Not as much for the height, but for the density that comes with it. Smokey Hollow's three phases, alone, have the potential of bringing about 2000 new residents and hundreds of employees in that small section of Downtown. This is insane, in a good way!!! Such projects can help us justify public transit if spread along main corridors.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,097 times
Picture of the JW Marriott on Stonewall Street Uptown Charlotte

iMarriott

Old 03-28-2019, 03:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Wells Fargo’s CEO is out and the company wants the next to locate to Charlotte, further hinting at an official move from SF to Charlotte.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Wells Fargo’s CEO is out and the company wants the next to locate to Charlotte, further hinting at an official move from SF to Charlotte.

I have read that the State of California has cut all business with Well Fargo. There are now 25,100 employees in Charlotte. They are downsizing in San Francisco due to cost and state regulations.
Most jobs offering are coming to Charlotte not in the SF HQ. This does not means they will moving out of San Francisco anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:16 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Downtown recognized for innovation, improvements | The Wilson Times

Old 03-29-2019, 06:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Construction on River Place continues in Wilmington. Some very good photos showing the future river views, battleship views and what the future Water St will look like...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/photo...327009978/PH/1

Mellow Mushroom will be one of the tenants at street level.

A few blocks away on Water St, piers are coming out of the ground at Pier 33 Apartments. Here is the final rendering of Pier 33...

Pier 33 - JDavis Architects

Old 03-29-2019, 07:00 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
City Block in downtown Wilmington is expanding...land has been cleared for the next phase along North 4th St where another 50+ apt units will be added....

Next phase of downtown Wilmington apartments in the works | WilmingtonBiz

Old 03-29-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Construction on River Place continues in Wilmington. Some very good photos showing the future river views, battleship views and what the future Water St will look like...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/photo...327009978/PH/1

Mellow Mushroom will be one of the tenants at street level.

A few blocks away on Water St, piers are coming out of the ground at Pier 33 Apartments. Here is the final rendering of Pier 33...

Pier 33 - JDavis Architects
A lot of progress, without a doubt Can't wait to see this project finished, as it will be a huge addition to Downtown Wilmington's ever-improving urban fabric. I wish I had the money to buy a small condo there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina