Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,861,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
that is goregous...and also i reserve my opinion for when all the projects are done, as i'm sure they will look way better on paper, however i am a fan of the design of the ballpark building, incorporating the vintage ballpark look, but all also a modern twist, while the oppisite side is plain, the side facing the feild is a alot more interesting imo.

But i'd like to see more of A&T's architecture downtown.

Think the last pic is NC States Hunt Library, that said, as proud aggie alumni it's crazy how much A&T has been building up since I graduated back 2010, a lot of those buildings were not there at all, the new student union(worked in the old student union all 4 years) is amazing. Big *** upgrade lol, tho I do miss all the memories of the old building.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 AM

6,152 posts, read 7,154,693 times
NC A&T State in Greensboro is really scoring high with modern architecture on its campus.. one interesting fact. NC A&T is the largest HBCU in the United States in terms of student population.

Future college of Engineering Building now under construction. It will be replacing Ron McNair Hall, named after the A&T graduate who became an astronaut and died in the Challenger explosion in 1986.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 AM

7,177 posts, read 6,734,987 times
The History Channel has chosen Goldsboro to be featured in an upcoming episode of “It’s How You Get There”.

https://www.newsargus.com/news/golds...ab2b185a2.html

Quote:
Goldsboro has hit the big time as the featured city of an upcoming History channel television show.

Filming attractions in Goldsboro and Wayne County will begin in several weeks for a History channel television show called “It’s How You Get There” that will air during the program’s upcoming third season.

Ashlin Glatthar, Goldsboro-Wayne County Travel and Tourism director, said financing to get the show here was confirmed Friday.

“It’s definitely going to happen,” Glatthar said.

If the producers of the show get the permits by this week, the film crew could be here in four to six weeks, she said.

“It’s How You Get There” is a show that explores unique destinations throughout the country using various modes of transportation, such as trucks, cars, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, Jet Skis and air travel vehicles.

The producers of the show contacted Glatthar in May, saying they had not yet explored eastern North Carolina and since Goldsboro is in the middle of the region from Raleigh to the coast, they decided to film here, Glatthar said.

It will cost $40,000 in production fees for travel and expenses for the film crew, Glatthar said.

Glatthar, who had never heard about production fees for television shows, said she called the North Carolina Film Office to ask if was standard procedure. She was told it is becoming a trend to help offset costs for film companies, she said.

On June 3, Glatthar went before Goldsboro City Council to ask for funding to bring the film crews here but was denied. But on Friday, the Wayne County Tourism Development Authority agreed to put up half the funds and the Goldsboro-Wayne County Travel and Tourism board agreed to put up the other $20,000, she said.

Glatthar said during an interview in mid-May with the producers of the show, she discussed some possible locations for filming that included Busco Beach and Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, where public tours are conducted and there is a popular air show every other year.

“They also loved the fact that downtown Goldsboro is on a revitalization streak,” she said. “They asked if we had any food scenes here. I told them, ‘Yes, you cannot come to Goldsboro without eating barbecue. It will also be good timing with the season.”

Although travel and tourism is in the early stages of working out the contract with the History channel, Glatthar said filming of the show should begin in the summer

“Summer will be the best time with Center Street Jams going on,” she said. “It will be a lively time, beautiful and green. Of course, it will be hot. But it will be very colorful.”

Glatthar said featuring Goldsboro on the History channel will benefit the area. The role of her department is to promote the county and city to nonlocals and visitors and as more people become aware of what the area has to offer, the benefits trickle into the local population, she said.

“We’re interesting enough for the History channel to call us,” Glatthar said. “We should be proud of that. I’m really excited. It’s kind of surreal.

“I think it is a great opportunity for Goldsboro to see itself as a destination. I don’t think we look at ourselves like that lot.”

Featuring Goldsboro may help remind people from the military to citizens that Goldsboro is a great place to be, Glatthar said.

“We’re just beginning to take off,” she said. “When the History channel calls, you know you’re on the right track.”

Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
"“I think we’re going to sell some houses — and some people are going to decide that living in a rural community is a whole lot better than living in Raleigh,” he said. “And when I want to go to DPAC (the Durham Center for the Performing Arts) or when I want to go to a Durham Bulls game or whatever, I can do that once every other month, but I’m going to enjoy the life of rural living."

If that was the case Rocky Mount wouldn't have trouble with job retention.
That would mostly apply to older workers. Younger professionals and those with school-age children? Doubtful.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,418,509 times
Southend Charlotte is filling in.

Photo by JKHburg

Old 06-11-2019, 07:31 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,902,565 times
Maybe it's the arched windows at such a low height on the ballpark building that bothers me. And what is at the top, sunshades or a rain canopy?

NC State is building another facility with the same big budget and starchitect firm status as the Hunt library above, but I don't recall the details.

NC's historically black colleges have a lot of cool-looking buildings on their campuses, including some laboratories at one in Durham.

Many of these projects are out of the firm of America's most recognized current black architect and fellow NC State School of Design graduate, Phil Freelon.

He designed the African Heritage museum on the National Mall in D.C. too.

Sadly, he has Lou Gehrig's disease.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,434,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Every 3 days.

It does drown out all the newer developments when the same things are reposted hundreds of times.
I really wish they’d would hurry up with our airport. I do lyft sometimes and it’s a pain in the ass to get people. The way Raleigh has it set up Is soo much better and quicker. Any time frame on when that mess at Clt will be done or if it will even help with the congestion.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,939,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Maybe it's the arched windows at such a low height on the ballpark building that bothers me. And what is at the top, sunshades or a rain canopy?

NC State is building another facility with the same big budget and starchitect firm status as the Hunt library above, but I don't recall the details.

NC's historically black colleges have a lot of cool-looking buildings on their campuses, including some laboratories at one in Durham.

Many of these projects are out of the firm of America's most recognized current black architect and fellow NC State School of Design graduate, Phil Freelon.

i think the top is a design that also incorporates the exterior lighting

Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 AM

3,065 posts, read 4,801,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Was recently at the National Mall and walked past that museum. Its awful. Doesn't fit at all with the surrounding architecture and design is dated. Easily the worst example of architecture I saw during my visit. I had thought it was David Adjaye that designed that building.

The Library of Congress building is one of the more impressive buildings in DC that doesn't get talked about.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:02 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,342,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Was recently at the National Mall and walked past that museum. Its awful. Doesn't fit at all with the surrounding architecture and design is dated. Easily the worst example of architecture I saw during my visit. I had thought it was David Adjaye that designed that building.

The Library of Congress building is one of the more impressive buildings in DC that doesn't get talked about.
The design is not dated. Did you literally miss almost every other building on the mall?

Vs. this:

I think it fits in fine in the area. I always hear people compliment it.

DC is littered with hundreds of buildings with great architecture

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-12-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina