Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times

Advertisements

SC now claiming Savannah and the Masters? Typical.

At any rate, SC has some nice areas. I vacation outside Charleston annually. But it’s SC i vacation, not some region of a larger state called the Carolinas. But it’s all personal preference.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

At any rate, SC has some nice areas. I vacation outside Charleston annually. But it’s SC i vacation, not some region of a larger state called the Carolinas. But it’s all personal preference.
Well. The Carolinas is used in every way by local business, media, chamber of commerce, etc. in Charlotte. Of course no one say “I’m from the Carolinas” or “I have to go to the Carolinas.” .... it’s more like “The Carolinas are a great place for ....” or “Serving the Carolinas” “a tropical storm is expected to impact the Carolinas” etc.

You’re using “Carolinas” as if it were singular. It’s plural. Unless it’s a team or something specifically named Carolina.

And yes. SC benefits from being close to CLT, Augusta and Savannah

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-19-2019 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 AM

I understand the term “Carolinas” as used for air conditioning companies and the like. I just think as far as professional teams go, I’d like us to do better. City-specific preferable. Charlotte is a tad different just because of location though I can’t imagine the Carolina Hornets. But the Hurricanes should be different. To be fair to lil’ Carolina, I feel the same about other regional names as well. They watch the Celtics just as much as the Patriots in Vermont, people aren’t detached because it isn’t called New England

Last edited by Heel82; 06-19-2019 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I’m assuming this is a headquarters joke, but the team plays for fans in NC.

And no to “Carolina”. The Southron are already confused with their lil’ Carolina in Columbia, no need to feed their delusion. We will have to make do with the Panthers, but absolutely nothing else. Brand it NC or by city or whatever you need to.
Geesh...I thought NC's slide into the abyss that began in 2010 humbled most of y'all but I see a few fell through the cracks.

Anyway...it's a regional designation which is the case for other professional teams. Whether you like it or not, Charlotte is an integral part of both states. Charlotte wouldn't have risen to the heights it has if it weren't for help from SC and South Carolinians (Hugh McColl anybody?). That's usually how it works for border cities.

Quote:
What the heck do you mean by "typical"? Why would we need to claim Savannah when we have Charleston? We don't claim the Masters either; we already have some of the best golfing on the East Coast. Who from SC p****d in your cornflakes???

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Geesh...I thought NC's slide into the abyss that began in 2010 humbled most of y'all but I see a few fell through the cracks.

Anyway...it's a regional designation which is the case for other professional teams. Whether you like it or not, Charlotte is an integral part of both states. Charlotte wouldn't have risen to the heights it has if it weren't for help from SC and South Carolinians (Hugh McColl anybody?). That's usually how it works for border cities.

What the heck do you mean by "typical"? Why would we need to claim Savannah when we have Charleston? We don't claim the Masters either. Whatever chip is on your shoulder concerning SC, I really wish you'd get rid of it and quick. This reeks of immaturity of the highest degree.
He listed attributes of SC and named things clearly not in SC. If you can’t crack a joke at that, you are a tad uptight. People are too sensitive about something so trivial.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
He listed attributes of SC and named things clearly not in SC. If you can’t crack a joke at that, you are a tad uptight. People are too sensitive about something so trivial.
Your post went well beyond poking fun at things clearly not in SC, but okay.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your post went well beyond poking fun at things clearly not in SC, but okay.
I made fun of him using Savannah and the Masters as a credit to SC, and I made fun of USC calling themselves Carolina. These are not provocative jokes, nor even original ones. Why they bent you out of shape I do not know.

But stripping away bad humor, my point is I prefer city specific names for a variety of reasons. State names sound bulky (Predators over Titans). The only regional name I like (not that there are a lot) is Tampa Bay, though that’s a fairly localized region. If Green Bay can have a named franchise, some of these other things just sound like cheap marketing.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:57 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
Levine Children’s Hospital, part of Atrium Health’s hospital system in Charlotte, is celebrating 10 years of being named a “Best Children’s Hospital” by U.S. News & World Report. The facility received a top-50 ranking nationally in seven specialties: cancer; cardiology and hear surgery; gastroenterology and GI surgery; neonatology; nephrology; neurology and neurosurgery; and orthopedics.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline

Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
From the Triad Business Journal subscriber article about the new Wake Forest Atrium medical school in Charlotte. Still planning but plans should be finalized by Dec. They want the school to supply doctors to western NC especially in rural areas. My prediction in 10 years the UNC system will regret not opening a medical school here but it will be great to be aligned with a stellar school like Wake Forest.

""With Wake Forest as a partner, Atrium expects that it could cover 80% of western North Carolina's rural population. That would start, though, with keeping more in-state students to study at the Wake Forest School of Medicine and thus, the future Charlotte campus. Only 40% of Wake Forest's medical students are from North Carolina, something Freischlag wants to improve upon with the new campus. "We know if you’re from here and you do residency (in North Carolina), you’ll stay here and practice," she said, "And we need them in rural areas." No major updates regarding a final agreement were provided at the meeting. The two sides expect to finalize their partnership in December.

Planning for the launch of Charlotte's school of medicine will begin in July, while a preliminary draft for the "reimagination" of innovation, rural care, population health, virtual care and the children's network will come in August or September. Also slated for July are some results of an economic impact study for the Charlotte medical school campus. In 2015, health-care consulting firm Tripp Umbach projected the impact of a Charlotte medical school at $675 million annually in 2035. Tripp Umbach president Paul Umbach projects the two sides will form a "nationally important medical school in Charlotte.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...BVbEVEazJaMiJ9

Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I made fun of him using Savannah and the Masters as a credit to SC, and I made fun of USC calling themselves Carolina. These are not provocative jokes, nor even original ones. Why they bent you out of shape I do not know.

But stripping away bad humor, my point is I prefer city specific names for a variety of reasons. State names sound bulky (Predators over Titans). The only regional name I like (not that there are a lot) is Tampa Bay, though that’s a fairly localized region. If Green Bay can have a named franchise, some of these other things just sound like cheap marketing.
Thankfully you're in the minority--both in terms of bad humor and your position on regional names for sports teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina