Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 08:01 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
4.) VA thinks they are infinitely better than NC, that NC is a backwater State. No área is as educated as NoVa in NC. They’re not impressed by Duke or UNC. Etc etc. They can’t be bothered to be associated with the south. And they definitely don’t like to be compared to NC, particularly, politically. So. Hate to break it to ya. North Virginia is very full of themselves. Way more than Charlotteans. And I personally use Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte to talk about how NC is better than VA, lol.

I agree with you here and I grew up in Northern Va. Long Island, NY is the same in many respects.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:31 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Progress on Project Slugger office tower in downtown Greensboro

Old 06-21-2019, 11:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Kansas City is a metropolis, an island unto itself out in the middle of nowhere.

Charlotte is one of hundreds of towns and is surrounded by smaller metros of all sizes.

The Carolinas are blanketed with towns and people.

KC is mostly a Missouri city with Kansas in the name, not all that different from just "Carolina".

Charlotte posters on here have previously wished the city could secede and not be associated with North Carolina. (Charlotte USA)

There's no love or loyalty for everything North Carolina like the rest of the state has and like Texans espouse for their state.

And here is another example of a Charlottean wanting to have an exclusive name for all teams.

That is the buildup to why I said that.

The suggestion that Charlotte is too good for the rest of the state bothers me, though it shouldn't because I've never come across an example as proof other than the affection for tall buildings.

Just be glad you're not in Virginia. Does that state have a major league team at all?
This is just so utterly ridiculous. Charlotte is a bi-state metro and somehow you take that as Charlotte being "too good for NC." Logic really does seem to escape your posts a lot of times.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
May 1 - The Charlotte Regional Business Alliance has been named as one of the country’s Top Economic Development Groups for 2019 by Site Selection. he magazine bases its annual ranking on four objective criteria – jobs, capital investment, jobs per capita and investment per capita. The publication also looks at subjective criteria, such as creativity of economic development strategy; depth and breadth of project activity; ability to generate impactful deals; and the ability to document the work of the economic development organization as it relates to real results.

https://charlotteregion.com/news/201...roup-for-2019/

https://charlotteregion.com/news/eco...elopment-news/

https://charlotteregion.com/about-th...ness-alliance/

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-21-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 04:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKQ8urlEG4

Old 06-21-2019, 05:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is just so utterly ridiculous. Charlotte is a bi-state metro and somehow you take that as Charlotte being "too good for NC." Logic really does seem to escape your posts a lot of times.
I explained fully that the sentiment on this forum for years has been that Charlotte is more sophisticated than the rest of the state, and references are made all the time to Raleigh and areas East are hillbillies, which I actually think the opposite is true and Western NC and proximity to Appalachia puts a dent in Charlotte's tastes and sophistication. There is more to cosmopolitan fabulous-ness than erecting tall towers.

I take the desire to have every major league team named specifically to Charlotte as another example of disassociation with NC, like the foolhardy Charlotte USA campaign, especially since the name Charlotte gets confused with other towns like Charlottesville and one up in New England.

I will continue to give reality checks for the 2.75 million across both states that are Charlotte, that it's still a product of the Carolinas and not leaps and bounds different from the Triangle.

And I shouldn't have wasted time responding. Anyone reading this thread knows what I'm talking about because of the comments added when they give me rep points.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I agree with you here and I grew up in Northern Va. Long Island, NY is the same in many respects.
Half of Long Island now lives in the Triangle.

The running joke is, "Could the last person on L.I. please turn off the lights on your way out?"

Old 06-21-2019, 06:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I explained fully that the sentiment on this forum for years has been that Charlotte is more sophisticated than the rest of the state, and references are made all the time to Raleigh and areas East are hillbillies, which I actually think the opposite is true and Western NC and proximity to Appalachia puts a dent in Charlotte's tastes and sophistication. There is more to cosmopolitan fabulous-ness than erecting tall towers.

I take the desire to have every major league team named specifically to Charlotte as another example of disassociation with NC, like the foolhardy Charlotte USA campaign, especially since the name Charlotte gets confused with other towns like Charlottesville and one up in New England.

I will continue to give reality checks for the 2.75 million across both states that are Charlotte, that it's still a product of the Carolinas and not leaps and bounds different from the Triangle.

And I shouldn't have wasted time responding. Anyone reading this thread knows what I'm talking about because of the comments added when they give me rep points.

Ironically your whole shtick is that Charlotte is hillbillies and white nascar trash lol. And that it’s associated with SC. And apparently people in Charlotte like Spam or something? Yeah.

You really should get over your obsession with Charlotte if it makes you so upset.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
1.) Charlotte USA isn’t a thing.

It was a business group. It was their group name. They’ve since changed it to Charlotte Regional Business Alliance after a merger with other business groups.

“The following is a short summary of the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance services for domestic and foreign-owned (planning to establish U.S. operations at any level) companies considering the 15-county Charlotte region in North and South Carolina as a potential location. Our services are provided at no cost to our clients while maintaining a high level of confidentiality”

Stop clinging on to the Charlotte USA thing. It was a rebrand during the economic crisis to move away from banking and diversify to the energy sector. They were trying to be gimmicky.

2.) Few Charlotteans have wanted to be part of SC. Particularly when McCrory, Berger and Moore were running the show and trying to take the airport, threatening light rail money, capping light rail for future projects, curbing how much cities can tax, threatening Charlotte over everything, redistribution of wealth bill, overturning Charlotte’s LGBT law with the bathroom law, etc etc.

SC was so moderate and rational compared to NC. They were luring businesses to SC over the draconian and regressive laws from NC. They tried to lure business, conventions, etc.

It was anti McCrory/Tim Moore/Berger and the GOP in power Charlotteans were against. Not necessarily the state itself. Were you proud of that trio?

3.) Tall buildings is dismissive of how nice of a place urban Charlotte is. So I’ll just dismiss Raleigh as city wotj no downtown and a giant suburb where everyone works in a very rural like office park that looks like it’s a nature preserve. There. Now we are even with gross mischaracterizations.

4.) VA thinks they are infinitely better than NC, that NC is a backwater State. No área is as educated as NoVa in NC. They’re not impressed by Duke or UNC. Etc etc. They can’t be bothered to be associated with the south. And they definitely don’t like to be compared to NC, particularly, politically. So. Hate to break it to ya. North Virginia is very full of themselves. Way more than Charlotteans. And I personally use Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte to talk about how NC is better than VA, lol.

And ironically. You’re the one who passive aggressively “insults” Charlotte for being Southern. News flash. It’s no more southern than Raleigh, Atlanta or any other southern city. And also. Being southern is a fabulous thing. And FYI. Raleigh is super southern. Sorry ‘bout it.

And charlotte posters are so arrogant and dismissive of NC but lol they like that podunk, hillbilly South Carolina, omg. That state is so embarrassing to be associated with, CLT sux.

I post probably on the cusp obsessively about Charlotte. I love Charlotte. You post obsessively about Charlotte but you hate it. That doesn’t make sense to me. I would never constantly post About cities I hate.

NoVa isn't really Virginia. My cousins have lived in Portsmouth, Suffolk and Va Beach their entire lives. I've been going to D.C. all my life and my brother lived in Alexandria for 5 years. My first commercial flight was the 20 minute flight from RDU to National. My cousin and I, ages 14 and 13 smoked cigarettes during the flight in the rear smoking section of the 727.

Virginia is still considered to be a slightly more conservative state than NC in its government, regardless if it's people vote democratic.

That whole McCrory, conservative legislature being the focus of the criticism not Raleigh, Eastern NC, or Fayetteville getting new roads that no one uses is news to me!

And driving back and forth from NYC to Raleigh for 11 years and staying with friends in Arlington kept me fully up to date with D.C.'s revival, from the crime-ridden hell hole it was in the 80s.

NoVa may have a higher percentage of college graduates, but I'll bet that the Triangle has more Ph.D.s per capita.

You can think what you want about areas of NC, but the general consensus of all the newcomers (only 25% of Wake's 1 million people are natives) is that the Triangle is more Mid-Atlantic feeling than Southern, which I disagree with because I'm a native but....

Duke is highly respected in the New York region, probably because that's where the students are from.

And I couldn't care less what NoVa people think anyway, though half of them will be living in the Triangle 15 years from now, that another big source of Wake's newcomers.

I've lived all over the country and know how the states stack up with one another.

Y'all are the ones jumping around with misinterpretations of what I said about VA.

A normal response would have been, "Hey you're right. We are lucky to have so many professional teams considering they don't have any."

Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Carroll at Bellemeade/Hyatt Place in downtown Greensboro looks good. Wait til Project Slugger office tower is complete

Project Slugger

To be built across the street

View from the Greenway at Stadium Park Apartments

Just down the road is BB&T Point stadium in downtown High Point. While it is small its a nice little ballpark. Its also the only new ballpark in the state that doesn't have an upper deck. I think Guilford County is the only county in the state with two minor league baseball stadiums. Because of the close distance to Greensboro, High Point had to opt for an independent league.

Its planned development...hotel, office building and apartments.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-21-2019 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina