Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 03:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Wood-framed one-plus-five?
That's highly likely because of the height and the fact that there's so much yellow pine available due to people investing in timber for their retirement 20 years ago that now fields of pine go unharvested, (no profit to be had).

I'm fine with that as long as it's mostly brick-clad, especially at the base.

If this project is EFIS (i.e. Styrofoam like First Citizens Branchwas) or stucco, it won't age well.

The detailing has an old fashioned look to it which is uncommon. All in all it's nice and at least a departure from the boxy aesthetic of the last 8 years.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,774 times
FNB exterior is now virtually complete and the crane starts coming down tomorrow I believe.

Credit to Drew at DTRcommunity for the photo

Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Well that was fast

Old 09-11-2019, 10:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
That's highly likely because of the height and the fact that there's so much yellow pine available due to people investing in timber for their retirement 20 years ago that now fields of pine go unharvested, (no profit to be had).

I'm fine with that as long as it's mostly brick-clad, especially at the base.

If this project is EFIS (i.e. Styrofoam like First Citizens Branchwas) or stucco, it won't age well.

The detailing has an old fashioned look to it which is uncommon. All in all it's nice and at least a departure from the boxy aesthetic of the last 8 years.
I literally typed up a thing how it could turn out to be a huge turd if it was lower quality materials, particularly EFIS. It literally starts to look terrible after 3 years and in desperate need of renovation at like, 5 years.

If the materials are good - it’ll be one solid looking development. Really good, actually.

Back in 2005-2009, Charlotte got a lot of EIFS buildings. Looked fabulous in renderings. Decent-ish in real life. And terrible a few years later.

Big points for varied styles, heights and not looking like a super project. I liked varied architecture.

(Never posted original comment about this because I didn’t want to rile peopel up. But since someone else brought up eifs)

Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
A planned commercial development on the west side of town got approval Tuesday night to start turning dirt.

Woodhaven Development Group is building more than 170,000 square feet of retail and restaurant spaces on 23 acres on the southwest side of the intersection of Airport Boulevard and Raleigh Road Parkway. Members of the planning and design review board had to decide the fate of the Heritage Corner Shopping Center Tuesday night and after a few questions, the project received the green light.

“We’re really excited to be in Wilson,” said Adam Bickley, a partner at Woodhaven. “We believe in Wilson. We like the city, and we want to be a part of the continual push for growth in Wilson.”

Traffic was among the concerns, but engineer Ron Sutton with Herring Sutton & Associates explained that a traffic impact study was conducted by the N.C. Department of Transportation to determine how to handle volume spurred by Heritage Corner as well as an adjacent housing development planned.

Heritage Corner Shopping Center gets OK | The Wilson Times

Old 09-12-2019, 06:21 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
A planned commercial development on the west side of town got approval Tuesday night to start turning dirt.

Woodhaven Development Group is building more than 170,000 square feet of retail and restaurant spaces on 23 acres on the southwest side of the intersection of Airport Boulevard and Raleigh Road Parkway. Members of the planning and design review board had to decide the fate of the Heritage Corner Shopping Center Tuesday night and after a few questions, the project received the green light.

“We’re really excited to be in Wilson,” said Adam Bickley, a partner at Woodhaven. “We believe in Wilson. We like the city, and we want to be a part of the continual push for growth in Wilson.”

Traffic was among the concerns, but engineer Ron Sutton with Herring Sutton & Associates explained that a traffic impact study was conducted by the N.C. Department of Transportation to determine how to handle volume spurred by Heritage Corner as well as an adjacent housing development planned.

Heritage Corner Shopping Center gets OK | The Wilson Times
Wow nice. I really like Wilson. If I were to move farther out east away from the city and the rest of the Triangle, I would consider Wilson.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:32 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Another article on the new project on the Riverwalk in Wilmington...

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...3ewl3owbO9mxdc

This is a follow-up to a previous article from last year...

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...arking-garage/

A few notes form the photo in this article...the areas of construction north of the site are completed apts which recently sold for $65 million, with another apt complex just north of that currently under construction. The green area north of the proposed complex is the $20 million Northern Riverfront Park which will include a amphitheater run by Live Nation. The construction area to the lower end of the photo is the under construction Pier 33 Apts. The road behind Pier 33 will be the entry way into the Park through this development, which the City just convinced the developer to have retail on both sides of the entry way. The developer likely wanted to keep the sky bridge to allow for easier access to parking for the renters of the complex.

Looks like the project is being called "Parkside".

The Park project was recently put back out for bid to try and reduce costs...

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...rk-back-to-bid

Last edited by HP91; 09-12-2019 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,146,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Another article on the new project on the Riverwalk in Wilmington...

Its almost as if mother nature didn't give us multiple warnings in the past few years that construction of high dollar projects in areas venerable to storm surge isn't such a good idea. Oh well, I guess the national flood insurance program shifts the long term burden to tax payers, so why not..?

Old 09-12-2019, 08:17 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Its almost as if mother nature didn't give us multiple warnings in the past few years that construction of high dollar projects in areas venerable to storm surge isn't such a good idea. Oh well, I guess the national flood insurance program shifts the long term burden to tax payers, so why not..?
These areas of development are the site of the former shipping terminals from decades ago. This was all cleaned up. The area doesnt flood, because the Cape Fear river floods to the West and the Brunswick River over Eagle Island. This is why Wilmington was developed where it was. Again, none of this area floods.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,146,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
This is why Wilmington was developed where it was.
Again, none of this area floods. YET.

At least until not until a strong Hurricane heading north landfalls near Oak Island and channels the surge up the Cape Fear River. No worries though, its always smart to make money in the short run and risk other people's money in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina