Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 11:22 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times

Advertisements

Are we like a century or so away from NH’s beginning to resemble Tysons? Seems like a lot of handwringing over nothing. North Hills was never as nice as you imagined once and it isn’t on the cusp of chaos as you envision now.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:27 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Because they're on entirely different levels. NH is in infancy. I'm talking about over decades > Over time > much more increased in scale. There is a huge push to make Tysons less auto-oriented, but the bones are just too auto-oriented no matter how urban, etc. the developments are. I just think, if NH's is going to continue to grow, people who prefer urban communities, or at least walkable, should be looking at ways NOW to make it more urban/walkable and not when it's too late.

And for LordHelmit; I'm talking about the overall area; not single developments. All that shown below, but larger and more Urban versions, are being thrown up all over Tysons. The problem is Getting around between the individual developments. Look at the roads around it; even the renderings are so auto-oriented. The renderings below is pretty standard Suburban village-style dev. (Which I personally love). I mean, it looks like a smaller scale version of Dunn-Loring in VA. Or a bigger Birkdale Village. I love those. But again - It's not about just a single development.
Eh I'm not getting your complaint, At first you came on here just a few months ago hyping North Hills over Downtown(doesn't make sense), Then you randomly change your mind lol. But the big push has been to be more urban and walk-able, not just in Raleigh but in most of NC's larger cities, and when it comes to North Hills the only issue in regards to walk-ability is six fords rd.
Plus you said Kane must be stopped when it's Kane who made North Hills what it is right now, and who's not only growing it, but also developing major projects downtown.
Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-north-hills.png  

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Southend is now being part of uptown Charlotte

Photo by JKHburg

Old 09-27-2019, 02:27 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

Photo by JKHburg
Nice photo

Old 09-27-2019, 03:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

Photo by JKHburg
that is awesome!

Old 09-27-2019, 05:08 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Because they're on entirely different levels. NH is in infancy. I'm talking about over decades > Over time > much more increased in scale. There is a huge push to make Tysons less auto-oriented, but the bones are just too auto-oriented no matter how urban, etc. the developments are. I just think, if NH's is going to continue to grow, people who prefer urban communities, or at least walkable, should be looking at ways NOW to make it more urban/walkable and not when it's too late.

And for LordHelmit; I'm talking about the overall area; not single developments. All that shown below, but larger and more Urban versions, are being thrown up all over Tysons. The problem is Getting around between the individual developments. Look at the roads around it; even the renderings are so auto-oriented. The renderings below is pretty standard Suburban village-style dev. (Which I personally love). I mean, it looks like a smaller scale version of Dunn-Loring in VA. Or a bigger Birkdale Village. I love those. But again - It's not about just a single development.
What's with all the talk of and comparison to Tysons? That is a different town in a different metro in a different state that grew for different reasons at a different time. NH is a-ok for where it is right now. It's "midtown" (I know people in Raleigh hate that term, but that's what it is...it isn't downtown, and it isn't North Raleigh) in a mid-sized but quickly growing southern sprawling city. It's exactly where it should be and it is being scaled appropriately for the city's growth. I'm not sure what you mean by "the overall area; not single developments". My previous post spoke of multiple developments in the overall area all easily walkable to each other, and I am attending a public meeting tomorrow actually regarding the Midtown-St. Alban's plan. Trust me, there are plans in the works for making it more walkable than it is now...which is nice, considering it's currently pretty walkable. Most people's complain is about having to cross Six Forks which is really not even that big of a deal. It's a wide road but has working crosswalks with plenty of time. Again I live a little over a mile away form NH in a neighborhood and I can walk there in like 15-20 mins. All on sidewalks and with crosswalks. Auto-oriented? Disagree with that too (sort of). 99% of developments in Raleigh, Charlotte, and other new south cities are surrounded by oceans of surface parking. I see a very small number of parking spaces in the rendering, and not a whole lot of road considering the actual volume of people that will be there on any given night.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
What's with all the talk of and comparison to Tysons? That is a different town in a different metro in a different state that grew for different reasons at a different time. NH is a-ok for where it is right now. It's "midtown" (I know people in Raleigh hate that term, but that's what it is...it isn't downtown, and it isn't North Raleigh) in a mid-sized but quickly growing southern sprawling city. It's exactly where it should be and it is being scaled appropriately for the city's growth. I'm not sure what you mean by "the overall area; not single developments". My previous post spoke of multiple developments in the overall area all easily walkable to each other, and I am attending a public meeting tomorrow actually regarding the Midtown-St. Alban's plan. Trust me, there are plans in the works for making it more walkable than it is now...which is nice, considering it's currently pretty walkable. Most people's complain is about having to cross Six Forks which is really not even that big of a deal. It's a wide road but has working crosswalks with plenty of time. Again I live a little over a mile away form NH in a neighborhood and I can walk there in like 15-20 mins. All on sidewalks and with crosswalks. Auto-oriented? Disagree with that too (sort of). 99% of developments in Raleigh, Charlotte, and other new south cities are surrounded by oceans of surface parking. I see a very small number of parking spaces in the rendering, and not a whole lot of road considering the actual volume of people that will be there on any given night.
I lived in North Hills for almost two years. Dartmouth apartments in the center of everything. I did drive to work across town. After work and on weekends my car didn’t leave the parking deck. I always find it a little amusing the complaints about crossing Six Forks. It’s just a mind thing. Yes a bridge would be cool. It wouldn’t make the crossing any easier though imo.

I wish we could’ve stayed we loved it. Unexpectedly my son decided to move home after college. He’s continuing his education at NC State. Go Pack. My mother was already with us. Plus two dogs. As you can see that situation wouldn’t have worked out.

Maybe we’ll go back after he finished school again lol. It’s only getting better. I can’t wait to see what NH looks like in a few years. The entire Midtown area is booming.

Last thing as a Raleigh native I like the “Midtown” thing. Some people in Raleigh are stuck in a time warp. Wishing for the old everything,including North Hills. Sorry people it’s 2019. The good ole days are gone. Depending on who you are they weren’t that good anyway

Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Are we like a century or so away from NH’s beginning to resemble Tysons? Seems like a lot of handwringing over nothing. North Hills was never as nice as you imagined once and it isn’t on the cusp of chaos as you envision now.

You sound like the NC GOP talking about Mass Transit.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Downtown Greensboro

Carroll South of the Ballpark (city parking deck)

400 Bellemeade (Project Slugger 9 story office tower/First National Bank Triad regional headquarters)

On the east side of the ballpark the last of the apartments buildings at Carroll at Bellemeade are near completion

Hampton Inn and Suites

12-story Westin Greensboro hotel/ parking deck.

Westin Greensboro interior

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-28-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Aloft Greensboro at Carroll South of the Ballpark. Hopefully the colored panels will light up at night like they do at other Alofts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina