Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Ignorance because I don’t think Greenville North Carolina is going to have a transformation? Particularly in comparison to downtown Raleigh? In 15 years when triangle would have adds an entire Greenville every couple years or so.,,,

You don’t just grow a downtown by pouring some water over something and it spouts up. There has to be a combination of factors... Economical, size, culture, corporate scene, infrastructure, etc.

In what ways will Greenville change in the next 15 years that will be more transformative than Raleigh? What’s going on between now and the next year? There’s countless ways a city can transform. For Charlotte, I would say uptown really transformed from 2010 in an unrecognizable way ground level and in 15 years. It’ll be cray cray... even sorta disregarding skyscrapers (sort of because they bring people and retail), the retail and amenities being added are a game changer for uptown.

Charlotte, Raleigh & Durham are the 3 that will really transform. I’m not even entirely sure Greensboro is all that transformative. Improving. I’m not trying to be ignorant or bash the smaller cities/towns. But at some point, we have to come to grips with reality. Charlotte, Raleigh & Durham are gang busters and the rest is peanuts. To be quite frank. That’s not to say I’m not interested in the quaint upgrades and the nice little parks or the little innovation districts the other cities create. They’re great upgrades. But let’s be grounded
I agree about Charlotte and Raleigh's downtown being far ahead of the rest. I have to question Durham though. It's downtown isn't really that much further than Greensboro or Winston-Salem's downtown. While the economy is booming in the area, I lump Durham with Greensboro and Winston-Salem. All three are close in population with Greensboro being larger and they all have about the same in regards to downtown investment. Durham is probably slightly ahead in terms of downtown projects currently going up. But nothing close to what's happening in Charlotte and Raleigh. Those two cities are in a league of their own, particularly Charlotte.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM

71 posts, read 60,532 times
Quote:
Ignorance because I don’t think Greenville North Carolina is going to have a transformation?
The ignorance part was not knowing your state and the extrapolating your own ignorance to include most of Charlatans having not even heard of Greenville. Reading a sports page should have been enough for you to have heard of it. What’s more, google tells me about 8% of Mecklenburg’s students go to college there. Unless a transplant, I don’t know what to say except learn a bit about your state.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:55 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Ignorance because I don’t think Greenville North Carolina is going to have a transformation?

You don’t just grow a downtown by pouring some water over something and it spouts up. There has to be a combination of factors... Economical, size, culture, corporate scene, infrastructure, etc.

In what ways will Greenville change in the next 15 years that will be more transformative than Raleigh? What’s going on between now and the next year? There’s countless ways a city can transform.
Since you asked this question, I figured I'd put some info out there so you can see.

First off, the City of Greenville is doing some transformative projects in its downtown. They are redeveloping the Town Common, which is a huge riverfront park. They are adding boat launches, have added a playground, gave 1st St a road diet, while adding parking spaces. They are adding a Memorial space, and plans to re-do the waterfront, as well as their amphitheater. Secondly, the GTAC bus station is being constructed right now. Thirdly, they added a parking deck, Greenville's first...and have done a study to likely install another in the next couple of years. Fourthly, they have purchased and cleaned up an old industrial site and are actively working on development agreements to re-develop the site. They cleaned it with up with brownfield money. Lastly, they purchased a 100 year old theater in the middle of town, and the renovation of it will be complete this summer to be run by the folks that run the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh for live music, private events, and such. All downtown.

DOT is finishing up the 10th St connector, should be another 6-9 months until it opens. This will be a direct access from downtown and ECU's main campus to I-587 (yes, Greenville just got Interstate access), which leads to Raleigh. As well, DOT is about to start on the Dickinson Ave streetscape project, which is a corridor of redevelopment in the warehouse district of downtown Greenville. Over 20 buildings have been renovated and businesses opened in the past 4 years in that corridor, with more to come.

Privately, 4 massive housing complexes are being built ($30, 40, 50, and 60 million complexes) and 1 was just finished in 2016. As well, there are a number of rehabs of old buildings into housing.

ECU is moving west into downtown with 2 large campus buildings starting soon and is currently constructing a new student center on its West campus. It also has a development agreement to build a Hilton hotel and Alumni center downtown. Finally, its Millennial campus is at the foot of the 10th St connector bridge and adjacent to the Dickinson corridor. It already has agreements in place with SAS out of Cary...and is lining up other corporations. Over the next 10 years, this business incubator campus will continue to fuel downtown Greenville's transformation.

So yes, all of the factors you indicate are happening in Greenville, housing, arts, culture, infrastructure, parks, economic, educational, corporate. And there is talk of a large county government complex being built. All of it is happening NOW. Cranes all over the place, people moving in, businesses opening. So, yes do your homework before saying something. And understand that this is a statewide thread regarding development where all development that has regional implications should be discussed.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I never suggested you shouldn’t discuss Greenville, North Carolina’s development.

I just said it was silly to compare it in anyway to Raleigh. And I still think it’s not very “transformational.” Maybe in terms of eastern Carolina. Lots of cities are growing. Greenville SC is a very dynamic, excellent downtown.

If in a decade or more Greenville NC resembled anything close to Greenville SC, i still don’t think that’s going to outweigh the transformation of downtown Raleigh during the same time. Although it would be great if it eventually turned out as vibrant as Greenville, SC. Nice city.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 AM

71 posts, read 60,532 times
Why in the world are you jabbering about a city in the wrong state? Incidentally thanks HP for highlighting a city often ignored (or unknown as the case may be). Very interesting stuff, might have to make it down for the UNC this fall.

Last edited by JeepCSC; 04-06-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 01:18 PM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
That's very exciting for Greenville, NORTH CAROLINA.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
Why in the world are you jabbering about a city in the wrong state? Incidentally thanks HP for highlighting a city often ignored (or unknown as the case may be). Very interesting stuff, might have to make it down for the UNC this fall.
Thanks

Hard to believe that after laying out all of the projects in one downtown, putting out facts that the downtown population is growing 400% over a few year period and a link that the amount of money being spent is in the same ballpark as the 2nd largest city in the State...that someone is still in denial. $500 million is $500 million. Guess it doesn't fit the narrative (or agenda) for some.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Greenville never will because both are growing fast. But its the 10th largest city in the State, Wilmington is 8th. Wilmington used to be 10th and Greenville 12th, but both have moved up and are rapidly adding population.

Their downtown's have seen significant investment. Not as much in height like a major city, but overall in terms of streetscape.

Greenville needs to look out for Concord. It is growing by 13.69% to Greenville 8.23%.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
The 500 million from downtown Raleigh is an incomplete list of projects U/C.... Not those just finished or about to begin. The report makes a note that some dollar amounts are unavailable.

Greenville is including a corridor study... improvements to public blocks... an overpass.
Another master plan. And according to this link, it’s 112 million of projects in Greenville. Maybe it’s not current https://uptowngreenville.com/experie...vest/projects/ but I’d be interested to see a real report like the other cities have. Marketing reports and intersections not withstanding.

NCFC stadium, Dix, Union station, 2 grocery stores, mass transit, hurricanes could move downtown, etc etc. Raleigh is going to be a very different place. I don’t think a 400% population increase from 535 people is comparable to the change Raleigh will go through. There are downtown CLT neighborhoods experiencing more change, more people, x5 compared to downtown Greenville. SouthEnd, a sq. Mile of neighborhood or so, is adding many more people, much much more office space, tons of shopping (look for things like H&M, Urban Outfitters and other mall quality tenants on top of urban Publix, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s. Office Depot, etc). SouthEnd is going through much more of a transformation. NoDa. Plaza Midwood. Midtown. All downtown neighborhoods.

And Raleigh is growing as so as well. To me, transformative means I want to be wowed and shocked by change. A few apartment buildings and a few theaters, etc. isn’t transformative to me. That’s just progress and healthy growth. I find suburban growth more impressive than what you’re stating. Areas where in like “holy crap!”

Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham I think are the only cities that will be transformative and noticeably different on 10 years in NC. Greensboro is the only other city that might be transformative, but I honestly doubt it.

I’m not trying to be dismissive of the smaller NC cities. Maybe Greensboro would’ve been a better example to compare Greenville to. Nice, progressive growth.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:57 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
The 500 million from downtown Raleigh is an incomplete list of projects U/C.... Not those just finished or about to begin. The report makes a note that some dollar amounts are unavailable.

Greenville is including a corridor study... improvements to public blocks... an overpass.
Another master plan. And according to this link, it’s 112 million of projects in Greenville. Maybe it’s not current https://uptowngreenville.com/experie...vest/projects/ but I’d be interested to see a real report like the other cities have. Marketing reports and intersections not withstanding.

NCFC stadium, Dix, Union station, 2 grocery stores, mass transit, hurricanes could move downtown, etc etc. Raleigh is going to be a very different place. I don’t think a 400% population increase from 535 people is comparable to the change Raleigh will go through. There are downtown CLT neighborhoods experiencing more change, more people, x5 compared to downtown Greenville. SouthEnd, a sq. Mile of neighborhood or so, is adding many more people, much much more office space, tons of shopping (look for things like H&M, Urban Outfitters and other mall quality tenants on top of urban Publix, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s. Office Depot, etc). SouthEnd is going through much more of a transformation. NoDa. Plaza Midwood. Midtown. All downtown neighborhoods.

And Raleigh is growing as so as well. To me, transformative means I want to be wowed and shocked by change. A few apartment buildings and a few theaters, etc. isn’t transformative to me. That’s just progress and healthy growth. I find suburban growth more impressive than what you’re stating. Areas where in like “holy crap!”

Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham I think are the only cities that will be transformative and noticeably different on 10 years in NC. Greensboro is the only other city that might be transformative, but I honestly doubt it.

I’m not trying to be dismissive of the smaller NC cities. Maybe Greensboro would’ve been a better example to compare Greenville to. Nice, progressive growth.
I guess transformative is relative. Whats transforamative to one city may not be to another.

Greensboro is on the brink..... If construction can finally begin on a number of the large scale projects. We are finally seeing work begin on the performing arts center though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina